Flying weather on your cell phone

Old April 22nd 04, 02:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Flying weather on your cell phone

http://www.my-cast.com/

Here's the website for the service I first heard about at Sun N Fun. I've
signed up and it seems to work perfectly.

It's very, very cool to be able to see "live" weather radar on your cell
phone. A radar picture is truly worth a thousand words when you're trying
to skirt a front -- and for less than ten bucks a month!

Just when I had started to regard my cell phone as yet another annoyance,
something like this comes along.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 04, 03:17 PM
EDR

In article WYPhc.2472$_L6.412360@attbi_s53, Jay Honeck
wrote:

It's very, very cool to be able to see "live" weather radar on your cell
phone. A radar picture is truly worth a thousand words when you're trying
to skirt a front -- and for less than ten bucks a month!

How well does it work in flight conditions?
Old April 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
John Harlow

Here's the website for the service I first heard about at Sun N Fun. I've
signed up and it seems to work perfectly.

I have the Samsung i700 which has a cellular modem (and unlimited internet
access through Verizon). I've found http://www.accuweather.com/pda to be a
good, free weather site. DUATS works well with it too.

I assume it's not legal for use in flight though, and I don't see how this
service is any different - is it?

Old April 22nd 04, 05:54 PM
Dylan Smith

In article WYPhc.2472$_L6.412360@attbi_s53, Jay Honeck wrote:
http://www.my-cast.com/

Here's the website for the service I first heard about at Sun N Fun. I've
signed up and it seems to work perfectly.

I have a GPRS phone, and I've just set up short cuts to weather images
and data. For all the moaners about the abbreviations used in TAF/METAR
reports, it does mean it fits nicely on a mobile phone screen :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 22nd 04, 07:27 PM
Dave

wrote:

It's very, very cool to be able to see "live" weather radar on your cell
phone. A radar picture is truly worth a thousand words when you're trying
to skirt a front -- and for less than ten bucks a month!

How well does it work in flight conditions?

My phone rarely gets a signal at 5000-8000 MSL that I usually fly.
So,this will be useful when I'm on the ground, but doubt this is
useful for 'live' cockpit weather. But at $9.95/month, I'll try.
Especially with the summer thunderstorm season approaching.
Old April 23rd 04, 07:25 PM
Jay Honeck

I have a GPRS phone, and I've just set up short cuts to weather images
and data. For all the moaners about the abbreviations used in TAF/METAR
reports, it does mean it fits nicely on a mobile phone screen :-)

Funny you should mention that -- I noticed it, too.

For ONCE learning all those stupid abbreviations has paid off!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 04, 01:59 AM
Victor

Try a direct link to your radar FREE noaa picture. It is much faster
to download. For example:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar/images...bro/latest.gif