Flying in England for a US PPL

Old May 27th 04, 09:01 AM
David Cartwright

"Carl Orton" wrote in message
Other differences were that when we returned, I looked for the control

lock.
The instructor said they didn't use them. I then said, OK; should I just

tie
it down? He said, no, there was no need. I asked about wind gusts, and he
said, "This is England!" Must not be much wind....

Hmmm. There's not much wind _most of the time_ - I remember reporting to ATC
the upturned C152 at the hangar next door as my clubmates and I smugly
untied our aircraft from the large buckets of concrete holding it down ...

D.

Old May 27th 04, 10:19 AM
Cub Driver

We _can_ get very strong winds.

A couple years ago I went to a wedding on the Isle of Man. On my last
morning, I woke up to find roofing slates in the road.

Now, *that* is what I call a strong wind!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Old May 27th 04, 03:55 PM
Paul Sengupta

"John Harper" wrote in message
I've written something about flying in England from the
perspective of a US pilot (albeit a Brit), it's at

www.john-a-harper.com/flying/england.htm

I'd especially be interested in any comments from UK
pilots.

Hey, that Tiger Moth you have pictured, the yellow one with a
silver cowling, belongs to a friend of mine. Seeing him tonight
actually. Can't tell if it's him in the picture.

I have another friend who has a Bulldog at White Waltham.

Oh, and the magazine is "Flyer". You said "Flying" which is a
US magazine I think...

Paul

Old May 28th 04, 02:21 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Cub Driver wrote:
A couple years ago I went to a wedding on the Isle of Man. On my last
morning, I woke up to find roofing slates in the road.

Now, *that* is what I call a strong wind!

My roof has these little thingies (called 'tingles' I think) on the
bottom of each slate which hopefully prevents this happening. Especially
since the back of my house faces south west, directly at the venturi
created by Bradda Head and the hill that most of Port St. Mary is on -
right into the prevailing wind. When some winter depressions go by, the
wind in my back yard is strong enough to lean against!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 29th 04, 04:58 PM
Model Flyer

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in
message ...
"John Harper" wrote in message
I've written something about flying in England from the
perspective of a US pilot (albeit a Brit), it's at

www.john-a-harper.com/flying/england.htm

I'd especially be interested in any comments from UK
pilots.

Hey, that Tiger Moth you have pictured, the yellow one with a
silver cowling, belongs to a friend of mine. Seeing him tonight
actually. Can't tell if it's him in the picture.

I have another friend who has a Bulldog at White Waltham.

Hey Paul, there's a beautiful Buldog down in Haverfordwest, can't
remember the reg but it's just been repainted in camoflage, when I
get my photos developed I shall let you know the reg. It's on the UK
register at the moment.

--
---
Cheers,

Old May 30th 04, 10:07 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Model Flyer" wrote in message
Hey Paul, there's a beautiful Buldog down in Haverfordwest, can't
remember the reg but it's just been repainted in camoflage, when I
get my photos developed I shall let you know the reg. It's on the UK
register at the moment.

Ah yes, I met up with the people dealing with that one day when
they happened to be at Swansea the same time I was. The
mechanic who imported it (it's one of the African ones...not sure
about the re-paint, may be "original") said it came across with
pylons under the wings and switches to launch the ammunition.
The CAA made him take the pylons off to get it on the UK
civil register.

I'd like to see the photo!

Paul

Old June 1st 04, 06:12 PM
B S D Chapman

On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:07:14 +0100, Paul Sengupta
wrote:

"Model Flyer" wrote in message
Hey Paul, there's a beautiful Buldog down in Haverfordwest, can't
remember the reg but it's just been repainted in camoflage, when I
get my photos developed I shall let you know the reg. It's on the UK
register at the moment.

Ah yes, I met up with the people dealing with that one day when
they happened to be at Swansea the same time I was. The
mechanic who imported it (it's one of the African ones...not sure
about the re-paint, may be "original") said it came across with
pylons under the wings and switches to launch the ammunition.
The CAA made him take the pylons off to get it on the UK
civil register.

There is one frequently at Oxford. The paint looks very faided, but then
that could be the original shade anyway given the origin: It's from
Botswana.

--

....And so as the little andrex puppy of time scampers onto the busy
dual-carriage way of destiny, and the extra-strong meat vindaloo of fate
Old June 2nd 04, 10:51 AM
CV

Cub Driver wrote:
A couple years ago I went to a wedding on the Isle of Man. On my last
morning, I woke up to find roofing slates in the road.

Now, *that* is what I call a strong wind!

How about a smashed-up rowing boat lying upside down in the middle
of the street, apparently blow up there from the beach like a leaf,
about half of all trees blown over, many of them across streets,
some smashed into cars and houses, a couple of Cessna's at the
flying club (a 172 and a 152) upside down on top of each other,
despite having been tied down. All this, and more, could be seen
in Brighton on the morning of october 16, 1987.

CV

Old June 3rd 04, 04:34 PM
Model Flyer

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in
message ...
"Model Flyer" wrote in message
Hey Paul, there's a beautiful Buldog down in Haverfordwest, can't
remember the reg but it's just been repainted in camoflage, when

get my photos developed I shall let you know the reg. It's on the

UK
register at the moment.

Ah yes, I met up with the people dealing with that one day when
they happened to be at Swansea the same time I was. The
mechanic who imported it (it's one of the African ones...not sure
about the re-paint, may be "original") said it came across with

If that's the original paintwork, then it must have spent it's life
under wraps in a hanger, never flown etc. It's so clean that it looks
like it's just out of the factory, never flown.

pylons under the wings and switches to launch the ammunition.
The CAA made him take the pylons off to get it on the UK
civil register.

I'm sure that's the one

I'd like to see the photo!

As soon as I get the film developed I'll scan them and mail them to
you if you like, I'll let you know.

Jonathan Lowe.
Rallye 880b EI-BFR

Paul

Old June 3rd 04, 04:35 PM
Model Flyer

news
wrote:

"Model Flyer" wrote in message
Hey Paul, there's a beautiful Buldog down in Haverfordwest,

can't

civil register.

There is one frequently at Oxford. The paint looks very faided,

but then
that could be the original shade anyway given the origin: It's

from
Botswana.

It could be the same one with the paint redone or polished.