Color scheme info wanted.

Old November 10th 04, 08:30 AM
Kees Mies

Default Color scheme info wanted.

Hello all,

My plane needs a repaint.
The problem is that it is a bit of a wimpy plane to look at so I
tought to give it a more manly look.
I think NATO grey like F-15s with black lettering would be nice.
But, as a friend pointed out, visibility(thus safety) will not
improve.
Hmmm, true. But I do not like the idea about painting the wing tips
and top of the rudder bright orange.

Now I remember that WW1 battle ships had a color scheme with
white-blue-black surfaces on a gray background(a bit like a Mondriaan
painting) designed to make it difficult to estimate distance and
shape.

Does somebody know what this scheme is called or where I can find
pictures on the net?

Thanks,
Kees.
Old November 10th 04, 09:36 AM
Scott Skylane

Kees Mies wrote:
/snip/

Now I remember that WW1 battle ships had a color scheme with
white-blue-black surfaces on a gray background(a bit like a Mondriaan
painting) designed to make it difficult to estimate distance and
shape.

Does somebody know what this scheme is called or where I can find
pictures on the net?

Thanks,
Kees.

It was called "Dazzle Camoflage". Google it.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old November 10th 04, 05:22 PM
Jim Fisher

"Kees Mies" wrote in message
The problem is that it is a bit of a wimpy plane to look at so I
tought to give it a more manly look.

Sorry, just can't do that with a high wing plane. It's kinda like the men's
gold medal gymnastic team: Even though you won a gold medal, you're still a
male gymnast.

Does somebody know what this scheme is called or where I can find
pictures on the net?

It's called "low wing."

--
Jim Fisher

Old November 10th 04, 11:16 PM
Jay Beckman

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
m...

Maybe I should paint a sports stadium on one side of my plane and a
nuclear
plant on the other. Then, I can just present the proper side of the plane
the F-16 as I scoot through the TFR.....

I can't remember exactly what the paint scheme was called ("Haze" maybe...)
that was applied to some photo-recon P38s (F5s ?) in WWII.

IIRC, there were some claims that when the paint was applied just so... and
the atmospherics were just right... the plane was damn near invisible to the
naked eye. Even at relatively low levels. Something to to with how certain
wavelengths of light were absorbed vs reflected. The process was
problematic because no two batches of the paint could be created exactly to
specs and the way in which the plane itself was painted (paint thickness in
key places, etc...) also impacted how well it worked.

But, when it worked, it was akin to an optical "Philadelphia Experiment"

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
PP-ASEL
Still nowhere to go but up!

Old November 10th 04, 11:39 PM
Chuck

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
[...]

2 suggestions for a paint job...

1) Red, black and gold. Throw "Bud" on the top of the engine cowl and an 8
on each side.

2) Paint it yellow and put a bunch of flowers and peace signs on it.

---

Old November 11th 04, 03:07 AM
Jim Fisher

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
But, when it worked, it was akin to an optical "Philadelphia Experiment"

Speaking of that, sometime around 1999 or 2000, there was an interview in
National Public Radio with some sort of senior scientist (a physicist, IIRC)
that worked in the Philadelphia Experiment. I listened to part of it while
on the way to the airport to catch a commercial flight one morning.

The interview was one of the most fascinating interviews I've ever heard but
I missed the latter part of it.

Your post reminded me to Google on it and search the www.NPR.org website all
to no avail.

Does anyone out there recall this interview and know where I may find a
transcript?

--
Jim Fisher

Old November 11th 04, 06:46 AM
Kees Mies

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message ...
"Kees Mies" wrote in message
The problem is that it is a bit of a wimpy plane to look at so I
tought to give it a more manly look.

Sorry, just can't do that with a high wing plane. It's kinda like the men's
gold medal gymnastic team: Even though you won a gold medal, you're still a
male gymnast.

Does somebody know what this scheme is called or where I can find
pictures on the net?

It's called "low wing."

My wimpy looking plane is low wing, a Morane Saulnier Rallye to be exact.
-Kees