Do I own my airspace?

Old March 8th 04, 11:12 PM
Chief McGee

Default Do I own my airspace?

OK, here is the situation: Building an ultralight helicopter. If it comes
out to weight more than 254, can I legally fly it above my own land. I have
10 acres in the country, no ARSA, no controlled air space, no license. Can
the FAA tell me I can not hover it one foot off the ground if I am on my
land? How high up is mine? Just wondering.

Old March 9th 04, 01:00 AM
Charlie England

Chief McGee wrote:
OK, here is the situation: Building an ultralight helicopter. If it comes
out to weight more than 254, can I legally fly it above my own land. I have
10 acres in the country, no ARSA, no controlled air space, no license. Can
the FAA tell me I can not hover it one foot off the ground if I am on my
land? How high up is mine? Just wondering.

First, don't trust my opinion. Having said that:

Aviation magazine articles have said that as long as you are in ground
effect, you aren't flying. Examples would be hovercraft &
Wing-In-Ground-Effect vehicles. (Lots of stuff out there if you Google it.)

Since you didn't ask about the *wisdom* of trying to fly a helicopter
without instruction, we won't go there. :-)

Charlie

Old March 9th 04, 02:52 PM
Gig Giacona

"Chief McGee" wrote in message
OK, here is the situation: Building an ultralight helicopter. If it

comes
out to weight more than 254, can I legally fly it above my own land. I

have
10 acres in the country, no ARSA, no controlled air space, no license.

Can
the FAA tell me I can not hover it one foot off the ground if I am on my
land? How high up is mine? Just wondering.

Where should we send the flowers?

Old March 10th 04, 01:43 PM

I'm not sure what the rules are exactly in that respect, but I'll say
that it is far easier to crash a helicopter on your own land than to
hover above it. I suggest that, before you build a helicopter, you
get a copy of Coastal Search and Rescue helicopter computer game. The
demo is free and the flight model is very accurate. When you have
mastered flying that, go to a local helicopter school and take the
introductory helicopter lesson.

Once you do that, viewing the short helicopter video below is
required:
http://download.consumptionjunction....a/cj_13965.wmv

If you do the above before attempting your first solo flight in your
own homebuilt helicopter, you'll have a better chance of surviving.
But once you master the skills needed to fly the thing - Go for it.

Dennis.

"Chief McGee" wrote:

OK, here is the situation: Building an ultralight helicopter. If it comes
out to weight more than 254, can I legally fly it above my own land. I have
10 acres in the country, no ARSA, no controlled air space, no license. Can
the FAA tell me I can not hover it one foot off the ground if I am on my
land? How high up is mine? Just wondering.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old March 12th 04, 11:48 PM
Michael

"Chief McGee" wrote
OK, here is the situation: Building an ultralight helicopter. If it comes
out to weight more than 254, can I legally fly it above my own land. I have
10 acres in the country, no ARSA, no controlled air space, no license. Can
the FAA tell me I can not hover it one foot off the ground if I am on my
land? How high up is mine? Just wondering.

Legally, no you don't own your airspace. If your ultralight
helicopter comes out to 255 lbs or more, you need to register it as
amateur built, get a pilot certificate, etc - even to fly it at 100 ft
over your own land.

Realistically, even if it comes out overweight, as long as it's not
BLATANTLY overweight nobody is going to notice or care. Most
ultralights are overweight anyway. As long as it's single seat, has a
5 gallon tank, and generally looks small nobody is going to bother
you.

If you decide to teach yourself to fly it, make sure someone is
shooting video.

Michael

Old March 13th 04, 12:11 PM
me

Michael wrote:

"Chief McGee" wrote

OK, here is the situation:

If you decide to teach yourself to fly it, make sure someone is
shooting video.

Michael

Speaking of videos have you seen the video of a H300 N1012 - someone
just bought and is trying to teach themselves to fly - gets out of
control big time - a classic. You have to see to believe.

If anyone wants a copy just ask - Ill email it - 2Mb file - I can't find
a reference that works on the net.

Old March 13th 04, 12:21 PM
PeterD

me wrote:

Speaking of videos have you seen the video of a H300 N1012 - someone
just bought and is trying to teach themselves to fly - gets out of
control big time - a classic. You have to see to believe.

If anyone wants a copy just ask - Ill email it - 2Mb file - I can't find
a reference that works on the net.

If you want to email to me, I'll stick it on a website for others.

send to x with a dot com on the end.

--
Pd
Old March 13th 04, 02:26 PM
Aardvark

me wrote:

Michael wrote:

"Chief McGee" wrote

OK, here is the situation:

If you decide to teach yourself to fly it, make sure someone is
shooting video.

Michael

Speaking of videos have you seen the video of a H300 N1012 - someone
just bought and is trying to teach themselves to fly - gets out of
control big time - a classic. You have to see to believe.

If anyone wants a copy just ask - Ill email it - 2Mb file - I can't find
a reference that works on the net.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm
Scroll down to "Helicopter Crash 4"

Old March 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Jim Williamson

Aardvark wrote:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm
Scroll down to "Helicopter Crash 4"

Nice page setup - I found some vid's I'd not seen before - thanks!