ASW27B prices falling

Old August 9th 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Default ASW27B prices falling

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.

http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider

While I can only be envious of guys with 80K worth of glider at their disposal,
What does it say when three out of four (75%) of the ASW 27B's on the FAA registry are currently up for sale at the same time?
Old August 9th 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:57:26 PM UTC-4, Scott Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.
Read the post correctly (no longer able to fly). Also there are more than 4 ASW 27B's. The FAA (believe it or not ) does not list all ASW 27B"s seperate from the model ASW 27.

Old August 9th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:57:26 PM UTC-4, Scott Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.

http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider

While I can only be envious of guys with 80K worth of glider at their disposal,
What does it say when three out of four (75%) of the ASW 27B's on the FAA registry are currently up for sale at the same time?

Scott, Reread the original post. Two are not flying anymore ( ie. medical issues).
There are a lot more ASW 27B's than just 4. Some are listed under the model ASW 27.
Old August 9th 17, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 5:00:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.

http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider

A ASW-27 is a great glider and it does strike me as odd that they don't sell quick. However, I believe the majority of the buyers right now are like myself, new to soaring, wanting to buy something that is fun, like my Libelle 201B; but also not something that looks like it is "too much" glider for the first purchase.

Just an idea.
Old August 9th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

All prices of gliders been on a steady decline for several years now. The cost of a good sailplane has never been so affordable, thanks to the equal decline of the soaring interest.......

and if you can afford $80k, then you perhaps you can afford more and are looking for a sustainer or self launcher?
Old August 9th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 9:57:48 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
All prices of gliders been on a steady decline for several years now. The cost of a good sailplane has never been so affordable, thanks to the equal decline of the soaring interest.......

and if you can afford $80k, then you perhaps you can afford more and are looking for a sustainer or self launcher?

I can wait a few years for falling glider prices to stabilize.
Old August 9th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 11:06:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 5:00:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.

http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider

A ASW-27 is a great glider and it does strike me as odd that they don't sell quick. However, I believe the majority of the buyers right now are like myself, new to soaring, wanting to buy something that is fun, like my Libelle 201B; but also not something that looks like it is "too much" glider for the first purchase.

Just an idea.

Well....not to be a total smart alec but let me chime in once more.
In the business of sales, particularly used item sales; the prices will be dictated what the market can bare, that is as simple as that.
Since we are seeing the $20-40 market drop about 30% due to the lack of demand, why should be the $60-1000k market be any different? If the owners would price their gliders to sell and reduce prices where they should be... they will sell. No one likes to take a hit but sometimes one needs to take a hard look and just bite the bullet or expect to sit on the item for a very long time and sometimes more,( there are plenty of examples of this on the WW classified).
Sure... there are gliders being sold for a quarter mill but what's the percentage of that compared to the total market...maybe 2%?
Just my nickel's worth.
Old August 9th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

The thing that's always driven willingness to throw down a lot of money on a glider is competition. $80K is, any way you slice it, a lot of money for a 15+ year old glider (just ask any of our wives :-)). There are a thousand reasons the 27 is a great glider. However, performance in competition is the one that supported the market price of used 27s at roughly "every dime I spent on it since new".

What's happening in the competition world? Connect the dots...

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old August 9th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I will say, except for a very few, more gains are achieved by training the nut behind the stick.
If I could spend $xxx,xxx and win US Nats, sign me up.
But, I KNOW that a good pilot could fly, say, a well prepped ASW-20 and kick my butt flying in ANY new glider most days, thus pilot training is worth it first and foremost.

(Yes, I know what you fly, yes, well prepped it's still a great sailplane......).
Old August 9th 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

=
a glider is competition. $80K is, any way you slice it, a lot of money
for=
a 15+ year old glider (just ask any of our wives :-)). There are a
thousa=
nd reasons the 27 is a great glider. However, performance in

competition
i=
s the one that supported the market price of used 27s at roughly

"every
dim=
e I spent on it since new". =20

What's happening in the competition world? Connect the dots...

Evan Ludeman / T8

Speaking of the USA market, T8 is correct. That is how it has behaved
for the last ~35+ years. As soon as a ship is not at a top competitive
level, the resale value has dropped off rapidly. In Europe, clubs will
tend to buy up these gliders, which means that the market will support
higher prices for these types of birds. In the USA, the re-sale market is

(and has been, but is getting worse due to declining participation) too
thin, so now that the V3 and JS3 are coming out, the ASW-27 and V2
prices will fall. That is just the nature of the beast in the USA....
RO

FS ASW27B HL Falbaum Soaring 3 December 20th 06 11:51 PM
ASW27B Ray Gimmey Soaring 1 November 4th 06 03:41 AM
Gas prices falling... Jay Honeck Piloting 41 August 27th 06 10:16 AM
The sky is falling! Jim Home Built 10 April 30th 04 04:40 AM
ASW27B polar Chip Fitzpatrick Soaring 2 March 1st 04 01:48 PM