Stupid transponder question, or, stumped by the wife

Old September 14th 05, 05:15 PM
John Kirksey

Default Stupid transponder question, or, stumped by the wife

So we were watching "Seconds From Disaster" on NGC last night, which
happened to be on AA 77. When they mentioned that seconds after gaining
control of the aircraft the hijackers turned off the transponder (along with
a brief explanation of what the transponder does), my wife simply says:

"That's stupid, why does something like that even have an on/off switch?"

I honestly never thought about it and couldn't answer her question. Does
anyone know?

Regards,

John K.

Old September 14th 05, 05:44 PM
Steve Foley

Can you picture the radar screen in Boston/New York/Chicago/LAX when all the
planes on the ground are showing up? The radar sweeps by and shows 23 planes
lines up for the departure runway, superimposed on whoever is flying
overhead.

Old September 14th 05, 05:47 PM

Or what Chicago center sees in east central Wisconsin the last week of
July, first week of August.....

Only 10.5 months until the next bash!

Old September 14th 05, 06:11 PM
Paul kgyy

When diagnosing electrical problems, it's helpful to be able to
selectively turn things off.

When I'm downloading data from my EDM, I turn all the radio gear off to
avoid unnecessary battery drain.

Old September 14th 05, 06:36 PM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:15:54 GMT, "John Kirksey"
wrote:

So we were watching "Seconds From Disaster" on NGC last night, which
happened to be on AA 77. When they mentioned that seconds after gaining
control of the aircraft the hijackers turned off the transponder (along with
a brief explanation of what the transponder does), my wife simply says:

"That's stupid, why does something like that even have an on/off switch?"

I honestly never thought about it and couldn't answer her question. Does
anyone know?

Regards,

John K.

You need the ability to turn off the xponder inflight. One day I was
flying along and ATC called and asked me if anything was wrong. I said
everything is fine, why do you ask? They told me my xponder was
transmitting 7700. I looked at the xponder and confirmed that was NOT
what I have set - they said please turn it off - so I did.

When I'm on the ground, I set my xponder to standby, not off.

Ralph

Old September 14th 05, 07:25 PM
Peter R.

sfb wrote:

In military formation flying, only 1 plane has a transponder turned on.

Isn't this true with GA formation flying as well?

--
Peter

Old September 14th 05, 09:10 PM
JohnH

"That's stupid, why does something like that even have an on/off
switch?"

For the very reason many men wished thier wives had one.

Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! _____________---_ unakm Karl Treier Aviation Marketplace 3 December 17th 04 11:37 PM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! _____________ efamf Keith Willshaw Naval Aviation 4 November 11th 04 01:51 AM
Stupid hp to thrust question Mark Home Built 52 December 9th 03 01:41 PM
Transponder Question log Home Built 2 December 2nd 03 06:08 PM
Stupid super cub question Robert Loer Home Built 9 November 22nd 03 05:28 PM