who uses FSS?

Old October 8th 03, 03:39 AM
Newps

Chip Jones wrote:

The trees around the OKC airport all bend noticably to the south. I asked a
native there why this was so, and she said it's because "Texas Sucks." :-)
[Her words, Texicans, her words alone...]

Same reason the Mighty Miss flows south, because Iowa sucks.

Old October 8th 03, 03:53 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message
. net...

Same reason the Mighty Miss flows south, because Iowa sucks.

Are you aware it flows past Iowa?

Old October 8th 03, 04:15 PM
Ron Natalie

"John Harper" wrote in message news:1065572854.391864@sj-nntpcache-3...
My experience is that this is completely random

The number presented to the 800 routing is the billing number. Depending
on how you are injected into the cellular network it may be your home number
or a number geographically similar to it, or it maybe something dependent on
the cellular carrier whose system you are locally using

Old October 8th 03, 05:50 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

The fact that FSS maintains a single 800 number for use countrywide leads
to the expectation that we are dealing with a monolithic FSS. I would

guess
that was the image somebody wanted to project when they decided to
provide a single access number. That is, of course, the way it "should"

work,
anyway.

The single 800 number that FSS maintains for use countrywide, 1-800-WX
BRIEF, is for preflight weather briefings. Use of it for other purposes,
such as canceling IFR, can connect you to a station that is unable to
provide the service sought.

Old October 8th 03, 08:23 PM
Snowbird

Roy Smith wrote in message ...
"James M. Knox" wrote:
This guy was unable to do so because he could find no record of a big chunk
of Texas existing.

He was right. A big chunk of Texas doesn't exist. Why do you think all
those Texas politicians keep camping out in Oklahoma? They're just
looking for a place to be.

East Texas is actually in Pennsylvania.

A friend of mine now refers to "Texas North" (MN) and "Middle Texas"
(aka Missouri). I leave his reasoning for the intelligent reader to
deduce -- I'm not gonna go there.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old October 10th 03, 06:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"James M. Knox" wrote in message

Some of this is not the FAA's problem, it's the phone companies. There
is a mechanism the phone company offers that allows a call to an 800
number to be routed to a "local" service center. Unfortunately, this
was implemented before cell phones. There is NOT a mechanism (that I am
aware of) that allows the calls to be routed based on the LOCATION of
the cell phone, but rather only based on the "licensed" location of the
cell phone... i.e. home.

So if you buy your cell phone in New York, travel to LA, and call FSS -
you get New York FSS. It's dumb, but it's the way it is.

I recall reading about this problem some years ago, it had to do with cell
phone calls to 911. Was that deficiency not corrected?

FWIW, I **would** normally have checked the AF/D (which now prints the
local FSS phone numbers), but I had not anticipated the need. The
forecast was for ceilings 6000, which would have easily allowed for both
canceling on the ground and likewise picking up my new clearance
airborne. [Usually good in that area down to about 1200 MSL.] But, as
we all know, there are forecasts, and there is *weather*!

I assume you meant "canceling in the air".

Old October 10th 03, 09:04 PM
James M. Knox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
ink.net:

I recall reading about this problem some years ago, it had to do with
cell phone calls to 911. Was that deficiency not corrected?

Nope. I have the similar problem with 311 (911 for urgent but not
emergency situations). If I call to report an unsafe condition while
driving to or from the airport I will get Austin (where my phone is
located). They will have to transfer me to the more local police
department in whatever city I am actually calling from.

Eventually e911 will solve this particular problem, but by a different
mechanism. Still won't help with things like FSS.

I assume you meant "canceling in the air".

Doh! Yes, quite correct.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old October 11th 03, 04:15 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"James M. Knox" wrote in message

Eventually e911 will solve this particular problem, but by a different
mechanism. Still won't help with things like FSS.

Why not? Why would it work for 911 but not FSS?

Old October 11th 03, 02:44 PM
James M. Knox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
news
Why not? Why would it work for 911 but not FSS?

Because it is not solving the basic underlying problem. Instead it is a
"fix" specifically for 911. It *does* go well beyond the requirement to
identify your general location - it requires that you be located with a
hundred feet or so (depending on urban vs. rural environment).

As such it is not designed to be used on "routine" calls - only on a very
limited emergency basis.

The basic problem could obviously be fixed. The system always knows which
cell site your phone is registered to at any given moment. But changing
the routing sequence on the fly for a somewhat arbitrary selection of calls
is software development money that the public carriers are not going to
spend.

Old October 12th 03, 08:30 PM
Ron Natalie

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message ink.net...

I recall reading about this problem some years ago, it had to do with cell
phone calls to 911. Was that deficiency not corrected?

There's no pressing requirement (yet) that they fix the 800 number routing.
Nobody is worked up over it, there isn't a whole lot of people who route calls
based on a hard location (usually it's just a load distribution thing).