who uses FSS?

Old October 2nd 03, 03:59 PM
JerryK

I use FSS virtually every flight. I have them check all of the TFRs and
NOTAMs for me, and they provide a second source of weather information and
most importantly interpretation. They also can tell me about older PIREPS.

I still use FliteStar to print the weather, but in each telephone briefing I
almost always have a couple of questions that I can't answer from the DUATs
output.

Old October 2nd 03, 04:21 PM
Michael 182

A month or so ago I was flying from Austin, TX to Hunstville, AL. The
briefer described a big weather system using the town names, or waypoints,
or whatever they are. I asked is it sitting over East Texas and Louisiana.
Yes. I asked how far north I had to go to avoid it. He gave me a waypoint to
head for, north, and then a turn east. Changed the original flight plan,
glanced at the weather map when I got to the FBO, making sure the new route
looked good and headed out on an uneventful flight. I still don't know where
4 of the 5 waypoints of the original weather description are. Not an issue.

Michael

"Tom S." wrote in message

"Michael 182" wrote in message
You're missing the point. Of course we can all read a map. The point is

get the appropriate info *and* save time in briefings, not extend it by
proving our map reading abilities.

"Tom S." wrote in message

If you're that bad at reading a map, especially a map for the area

you're
flying in, I dare say you should be grounded.

And the "appropriate info" concerning weather (especially wide spread
conditions) is graphically positioned...how? If you're trying to bypass a
front, how far would you have to go if you don't know the area you're
in/transiting? How would you know how to proceed?

Old October 2nd 03, 04:34 PM
Tom S.

A month or so ago I was flying from Austin, TX to Hunstville, AL. The
briefer described a big weather system using the town names, or waypoints,
or whatever they are. I asked is it sitting over East Texas and Louisiana.
Yes. I asked how far north I had to go to avoid it. He gave me a waypoint

head for, north, and then a turn east. Changed the original flight plan,
glanced at the weather map when I got to the FBO, making sure the new

route
looked good and headed out on an uneventful flight. I still don't know

where
4 of the 5 waypoints of the original weather description are. Not an

issue.

Michael

Geography challenged? :~)

Old October 2nd 03, 06:48 PM
Roy Smith

Tom S. wrote:
So when they say "...a front moving over the Front Range of the Rockies,
extending from Cheyenne to Colorado Springs...", what reporting station(s)
are they referring to?

Cheyenne is on the list of reference points, but Colorado Springs
isn't. Is that an actual quote from an area forcast?

Certainly, in an area forcast, they'll refer to major geographical
featuers such as quadrants of states, large mountain chains, or oceans
to give you a general idea of the area. But, I've never seen a
specific location mentioned to define the location of a front or the
corners of a airmet/sigmet area which wasn't on the official list.

Here's the current area forecast for Boston Center:

SYNOPSIS...LOW PRES OVR NRN NY WILL APCH NRN ME THRU 18Z. CDFNT
ALG PLB-SAX-ORF LN WILL CONT EWD OVR ERN ME THRU CNTRL PTN CSTL
WTRS THRU 15Z. BTR

I translate that as:

Low pressure over northern New York State will approach norther Maine
through 18Z. Coldfront along Plattsburgh-Sparta-Norfolk line will
continue eastward over eastern Maine through central portion of
coastal waters through 15Z. BTR are the initials of the forecaster.

The specific locations mentioned (PLB, SAX, ORF) are all on the
approved list. The other locations are all vague things like "coastal
waters" and states. BTW, the great lakes are all treated like
pseudo-states (LO = Lake Ontario, LE = Lake Erie, etc).
Old October 2nd 03, 09:17 PM
Roger Tracy

Well .. I hope my butt is covered. I had a FSS guy tell me at a seminar
that DUATS has what they have. And the published ones are at:
http://www1.faa.gov/NTAP/
So far it's worked. A call to FSS enroute will check the area ahead. And
Center
is a big help. I can plug my laptop into my cellphone at stops and update
the info. If the weather
is complex then a call is certainly in order prior to flight.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Roger Tracy" wrote in message

I look at ADDS and WeatherTap. Then I get a DUATS briefing
and print it out. That takes care of the legal requirement. And DUATS is

good reference. If I need to file (IFR or VFR) I file it on DUATS. Other
than a bit after 9/11 while things were in turmoil .. I seldome talk to

FSS.

It's still in turmoil. You're well advised to continue to overburden the

system
by calling up to see if there are any new TFR's frequently to cover your

ass.

Old October 2nd 03, 11:36 PM
Ron Natalie

"Roger Tracy" wrote in message ...
Well .. I hope my butt is covered. I had a FSS guy tell me at a seminar
that DUATS has what they have.

Well he's incorrect.

And the published ones are at:
http://www1.faa.gov/NTAP/

The Published ones aren't so much of a problem.

Old October 3rd 03, 01:52 AM
Teacherjh

The FSS is the most common way to NOT get NOTAMS.

Which is the point.

Sometimes I don't want to get NOTAMS. I want the ones pertinent to my flight,
and the ones that might end up pertinent to my flight. But I don't want the
three hundred seventy two others.

Jose

Old October 3rd 03, 06:30 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I'm sure that's true with a TRACON. But, doesn't the center have a data
person that works with the FSS?

The Center has a D position, whether there's a person there or not is
another matter.

In the case of KBIH, I recall someone in the Air Traffic Division at the
WP Region saying they didn't remote ZOA to the KBIH RCO because
the center didn't want that link.

The Center turned down direct pilot/controller communications in favor of a
relay through FSS? I find that rather hard to believe.