You're Invited to the 4th Annual Rec.Aviation Party(s)!

Old June 28th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default You're Invited to the 4th Annual Rec.Aviation Party(s)!

Thanks for the invite Jay!

I'm pretty sure I can make it to the OSH rec North 40 party, but the ole
Aztec will be in the annual shop during the pool party.

Ok, how about menu considerations? So far we're planning grilled chicken
breast, brats, potato salad, chips... any other ideas or requests? Nothing
too extravagant or complicated, think picnic buffet.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are actually TWO party announcements here -- one held in Oshkosh
(KOSH), and one in Iowa City (KIOW). Both parties are free to all
pilots and aviation enthusiasts...so read on!

The **4th Annual Rec.Aviation Oshkosh Party** will be held on Wednesday
evening, after the daily air show, at our North 40 campsite in that
Mecca of Aviation, Oshkosh, Wisconsin. (Instructions on how to find
this campsite are below...)

Before we move on to the particulars, I must say that this event has
grown nicely (and exponentially) since that first little experimental,
wing-dancing get-together back in '03. Back then, we simply collected
a 6-pack of good beer from each attendee, and then toddled on over to
Friar Tuck's for dinner. How things have changed!

For you new-comers, here is a brief history -- complete with pictures
-- of prior rec.aviation Oshkosh Parties:

********
Year #1 -- 2003.
(See pix he
http://alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_i_-_p.htm#OSHKOSH )

********
We learned several great lessons in 2003.

1. Ten hours of walking
*plus*
2. A mulititude of good beers, all begging to be sampled...
*plus*
3. Extreme dehydration caused by 100+ degree heat
*equals*
...a VERY fast, VERY intense -- but very BRIEF party!

In short, we all got so blasted before dinner that we could hardly walk
over to Friar Tucks -- and everyone hit the hay shortly thereafter.
Still, a great time was had by all.

********
Year #2 - 2004
(See pix he http://alexisparkinn.com/newsgroup_party.htm)

********
In '04, Montblack stepped up to the plate with "The Airplane of
Mini-Vans", which allowed us to actually hold the party entire on-site.
He trucked in a grill, some chairs, and a whole bunch of food -- all
without getting arrested! The real party was born!

We learned some lessons in 2004, too:

1. Tents come with rain flies for a reason. (Montblack sitting on a
cooler in a tent, in a driving down-pour, with an umbrella deployed
overhead, is a lasting -- and precious -- memory of mine...)

2. Straight-line winds can break 1-inch aluminum tent poles. (Seeing
my 8-man tent wrapped around Atlas' aileron is a long-lasting -- and
horrible -- memory of mine...)

3. Eating food BEFORE drinking is a great survival mechanism... Again,
a great time was had by everyone, and attendance rose noticeably.

********
Year #3 -- 2005
(See pix he http://alexisparkinn.com/wednesday1.htm)

********
Then, in '05, things REALLY got rolling, with Jim & Tami Burns
volunteering to help Montblack to produce the rec.aviation party of ALL
parties, driving in with a veritable plethora of food choices and tons
of chairs and tables. It was a feast, I tell ya, with food taking
precedence over beverages for the very first time! (Well, almost...
:-)

Suddenly, amazingly, this little party that Mary and I started had
grown into a real event, which required little input on our part. All
we needed to do was rent the campsite, put out the word -- and Jim,
Tami & Montblack produced the Mother of All Parties! Celebrational
nirvana had been achieved!

What can we do to top it this year? I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a
better party than '05, but I never underestimate Montblack. After all,
who would have ever predicted the "Mother Of All Coolers" (MOAC) prior
to last year? (For those who were there, you know what I'm talking
about. For those who weren't you'll have to come this year to see
Montblack's "PMCII" -- "Pimp My Cooler II")

One thing hasn't changed -- as always, "admission" is a 6-pack of GOOD
beer. Nothing with "Light" in the name, please, and points are awarded
if you can't see through it.

Instructions: Finding this party is easy -- but takes a bit of effort.
Since North 40 campsites are assigned randomly, in a "first come-first
served" fashion, there is no way to announce the party's precise
location in advance. You MUST go to the EAA Camping Check-In Booth in
the North 40 campground, and give them our tail number (N56993). They
will then tell you our precise campsite, and give you vectors to the
party!

Important Note: This booth usually closes when the airshow starts, so
plan ahead -- you'll have to discover our campsite number BEFORE the
actual start of the party, or plan on walking aimlessly up and down the
rows for a while! (We'll have our "Alexis Park Inn & Suites" banner
deployed, which should make it easier to find!)

********
Party #2 -- **The Fourth Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party** in Iowa
City!

********
Actually, this is Party #1, chronologically, as it's held on the
Saturday BEFORE OSH, at our aviation-themed hotel, located adjacent to
Runway 25, in Iowa City, Iowa. (KIOW). Held every year since we
opened, Mary and I provide free food, beverage and music, all served at
poolside, to anyone on their way to OSH, as our way of saying "thanks!"
for another great year!

Whether you're simply stopping for fuel, or planning to spend the
night, be sure to ask about it at the FBO. Upon request they'll give
us a call, and we'll come fetch you (or, if you feel like stretching
your legs, it's not a bad walk) -- and we'll even drive you back to
your plane after stuffing you full of free burgers, brats, and/or hot
dogs!

Free beer WILL be served, but only to those who are spending the night.
For transient pilots (and you know who you are!), we'll only be
providing soft drinks...

The party goes pretty much all day, and fairly late into the evening.
If the weather is nice and hot (like last year), most of it will be
held in the water -- so bring your trunks! (If you're planning to
spend the night, reservations are recommended. Call us, toll-free, at
888-9ALEXIS for details...)

Then, on Sunday morning, several of us traditionally fly into OSH
together in a loose (okay, VERY loose) formation, thus assuring that we
will be parked somewhere close together -- which makes the Wednesday
Night Festivities more convenient for all!

Oshkosh is less than a month away -- and we're really looking forward
to meeting a bunch of you folks, either in Iowa City, Oshkosh -- or
both places! I hope you can make it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Ok, how about menu considerations? So far we're planning grilled chicken
breast, brats, potato salad, chips... any other ideas or requests? Nothing
too extravagant or complicated, think picnic buffet.

Mmmmmm...brats.

One thing to consider...brats=fire. Lots of fire. Keep chicken
breasts on different grill?

Otherwise, sounds AWESOME!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Fire? nah... boil 'em in beer, butter, onions, garlic, and salt on the
side burner, then grill them lightly on the grill. Grill should be big
enough to keep them separate though.

How was the bike trip?

Jim

oups.com...

Old June 30th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

How was the bike trip?

Ourstanding...and grueling. I am BEAT!

Bec and I just rode 3 1/2 hours back in this dad-gummed heat, to meet
Peter at the hotel... (He had already delayed his trip a day, just so
he could get to see Mary and me, so I didn't think I should disappoint
him...)

As of 5:53 PM, CDT, no joy. Dunno what's happened to him. All I know
is he's coming in VFR from New York...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

He had a post show up at 3:00pm, Friday afternoon.

Unless he was refueling somewhere, that's one fast Bonanza.

Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)

Old July 1st 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A18912A5D
Great Circle Mapper - 4 hours.

I gave him an (E/W) 199 mph ground speed. G

Montblack

("Montblack")

Old July 1st 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'll be bringing the Laotiane Tequila. Who's gonna eat the worm? g

http://i5.tinypic.com/16a8vnn.jpg

Not me!

:-)
--