What FARs cover R/C drones?

Old June 28th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default What FARs cover R/C drones?

The Sherriffs should tell the FAA they are trying to do thier job and if
they get in the way they will be arrested. If I was them I woulded let the
FAA any where near operations of the drone. What can they really do?

Old June 28th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:42:33 -0700, "Aluckyguess"
wrote in ::

The Sherriffs should tell the FAA they are trying to do thier job and if
they get in the way they will be arrested.

That would bring the issue to a head.

If I was them I woulded [sic] let the FAA any where near operations of the drone.

How would you prevent the FAA from observing the drone's operation?

What can they really do?

Revoke the drone operators airmans certificate?

Old June 29th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Aluckyguess wrote:
The Sherriffs should tell the FAA they are trying to do thier job and if
they get in the way they will be arrested. If I was them I woulded let the
FAA any where near operations of the drone. What can they really do?

The FAA can decide the airspace where the drone is operating is
controlled from the surface to FL180.
The sheriff will not have jurisdiction in that case.
Old June 29th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

Aluckyguess wrote:
The Sherriffs should tell the FAA they are trying to do thier job and if
they get in the way they will be arrested. If I was them I woulded let
the FAA any where near operations of the drone. What can they really do?

The FAA can decide the airspace where the drone is operating is controlled
from the surface to FL180.
The sheriff will not have jurisdiction in that case.

The damn thing weighs three and a quarter pounds!!! Most trainer RC's
weight more than that.

I know it is asking too much, but the FAA needs to get a life, and judge the
realities of the issue, and let it fly. It wouldn't leave much more than a
bruise, even if it hit a person, dead on!
--
Jim in NC

Old June 29th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:12:51 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote in ::

It wouldn't leave much more than a bruise, even if it hit a person, dead on!

You are attempting to be believed in saying that a 5# missile
traveling at ~2,640 feet per second with a gasoline powered propeller
in front rotating at high speed would only cause a bruise if it hit
you in the head. Perhaps your head is harder than most. :-)
Old June 29th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in ::

It wouldn't leave much more than a bruise, even if it hit a person,
dead on!

You are attempting to be believed in saying that a 5# missile
traveling at ~2,640 feet per second with a gasoline powered propeller
in front rotating at high speed would only cause a bruise if it hit
you in the head. Perhaps your head is harder than most. :-)

The sheriff's R/C plane travels at 1800 mph (about mach 2.3 at sea level)?
Well no wonder the FAA was upset! Supersonic prop research allegedly ended
decades ago. Clearly the sheriff's department down there has breakthrough
technology. ;-)
Old June 29th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in ::

It wouldn't leave much more than a bruise, even if it hit a person,
dead on!

You are attempting to be believed in saying that a 5# missile
traveling at ~2,640 feet per second with a gasoline powered propeller
in front rotating at high speed would only cause a bruise if it hit
you in the head. Perhaps your head is harder than most. :-)

The sheriff's R/C plane travels at 1800 mph (about mach 2.3 at sea level)?
Well no wonder the FAA was upset! Supersonic prop research allegedly ended
decades ago. Clearly the sheriff's department down there has breakthrough
technology. ;-)

Oops. That should have been ~2,640 feet per minute, or ~44 feet per
second.

Old June 30th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in ::

The Sherriffs should tell the FAA they are trying to do thier job and if
they get in the way they will be arrested. If I was them I woulded let the
FAA any where near operations of the drone. What can they really do?

So, how do you feel about a sky filled with advertising drones being
flown over your head?

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/invention/
Thursday, June 29, 2006

Remote-controlled advertising

Swiss telecommunications firm Swisscom has been playing with
remote-controlled toy planes, cars and boats. The company sees
such fun gadgets as a serious new tool for targeted advertising.

A small unmanned plane could be flown over a concert or sports
audience, beaming advertising messages, news flashes and weather
updates to those below using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or another wireless
standard. The messages would be stored aboard the plane and
refreshed by a control server using a separate wireless link.

The plane would draw attention to itself by beeping and flashing
its lights. This should encourage anyone nearby to check their
phones and PDAs for new messages.

People waiting in a long queue on a hot day could be told about a
cold beer, given lotto results or warned to expect rain. Drivers
in a traffic jam could get localised updates from a plane
overhead.

Swisscom even suggests that tiny toy boats could be used to send
out messages from a pond or river.

Click here for the Remote-controlled advertising patent.
http://tinyurl.com/hma9n
Old June 30th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The plane would draw attention to itself by beeping and flashing
its lights. This should encourage anyone nearby to check their
phones and PDAs for new messages.

I can't see people being interested in getting an ad on their PDA. It
would require such interest for this to work.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 1st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:11:42 GMT, Jose
wrote in ::

The plane would draw attention to itself by beeping and flashing
its lights. This should encourage anyone nearby to check their
phones and PDAs for new messages.

I can't see people being interested in getting an ad on their PDA. It
would require such interest for this to work.

Bill Maher said it best:

The true Axis Of Evil in America is our genius at marketing
coupled with the stupidity of our people. -- Bill Maher

Regardless, marketers know no self-restraint. I can just see the
future with swarms of little UAVs so thick you need protection to walk
the streets.