Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

Old August 13th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

Old August 13th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

Change your news service provider?

Supernews is apparently filtering it all; I'm not seeing it.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 13th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

I couldn't tell the difference between these and the ones from MX.

Old August 13th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they
are from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how
to block the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

Change your news service provider?

Supernews is apparently filtering it all; I'm not seeing it.

It seems to have slowed a good bit, if not completely stopped. I don't think
I have seen anything in about an hour or so on the Cox server.

Old August 13th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I couldn't tell the difference between these and the ones from MX.

My guess is that they ARE from MX. He ran out of stupid questions to ask, so
he's flooding the group with slightly less interesting drivel.

Old August 13th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Suggestions?

WRT the spammer, I don't understand why people (or people with bots)
bother with this sort of foolish web vandalism. Some people
apparently have too much time on their hands.

What's funny is that it's so...inconsequential. Imagine, it's as if
(the horror!) we must all (wait for it...) have to (OMG!) actually
(argh!) use our CLICKING FINGER MORE OFTEN to avoid reading their
spam.

The hardship of it all... Why, I oughta...pour another cup of
coffee...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 13th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Delete Y
Delete Y
It's almost fun
Jim

oups.com...

Old August 13th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 13, 5:01 am, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

When you start a new thread, put a pictogram of an airplane at the
start of the topic, e.g.:
--|- (V-tail Bonanza)

That way at a glance a real thread from a pilot can be spotted.

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Old August 13th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:01:00 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote in
:

I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

It would seem that the rec.aviation.piloting newsgroup, like many
other newsgroups, is being targeted for a "sporge" flood. In this
first flood, the articles were injected into Usenet from 13:30 to
11:21 (local), about ten hours. It is unclear to me at this time why
this is occurring, but it may be more than a malicious prank. ...

While I have not yet found a method of filtering out the sporge
articles, I have found some promising leads:

Each article is crossposted to the sci.crypt newsgroup.

The 'Path:' header field always contains:
news.isoc.lu!news.grnet.gr

The 'Subject:' header field always begins with a lower-case letter

Perhaps filters can be successfully written to exploit these
consistencies.

My fear is that newsgroup subscribers who are unable to filter out the
sporge articles may become so frustrated as to discontinue to
participate in newsgroup discussion in the future.
Old August 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they

are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to

block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

Change your news service provider?

Supernews is apparently filtering it all; I'm not seeing it.

Supernews could be the spammer. Someone posted last week that this group
was scheduled for a sporge flood and Supernews could filter it. Great
marketing technique.