Why are so many Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale?

Old December 24th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim MacDonald

Default Why are so many Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale?

In rebuttal to Post#4 (Mal): The S10-VT's high L/D,
low minimum sink rate, and jettison-able canopy for
bail-out make it one of the safest and most capable
light aircraft available. I've never felt safer flying
in any other aircraft.

Posting a 2002 incident (whose cause was identified
and corrected), coupled with a 2006 incident (the cause
of which is not stated/unknown) is unfair. I would
remind Mal that the majority of aircraft crashes are
caused by pilot error, not aircraft problems.

I can't really speak to the reason why more may be
on the market at any given time .... LSA may be a factor,
or perhaps sellers are considering purchasing the new
S6.

I have yet to meet a dissatisfied S10-VT pilot ....
quite the contrary!

Old February 14th 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 11:02:08 PM UTC-4, Forest Baskett wrote:
Stemme motorgliders are complicated, without a doubt,
but you can do some amazing things with them. Take
a look at some of the trips that Marty Hellman has
documented on his web site, http://ee.stanford.edu/~hellman/soarin
g/photos.html. If you are interested a resource you
should consider is Glider Bob in Telluride. He gives
rides, instructs and acts as a sales agent for many
sellers. I think he has been involved with Stemmes
since they first came to the US. Unlike Marty and
Glider Bob I am a relatively new owner but I am happy
to try to answer any questions.

Forest

At 00:06 30 October 2007, Pigro wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 04:23:25 -0000, VARR wrote:

Are these people already upgrading to the Antares?
;-) I'm not
trolling, but rather am looking for actual information
and opinions on
the S10-VT motorglider.

I have been granted the right to use a Stemme for 2years,
tgether with
4 other friends. I must say I was lucky to get this
opportunity.

I've had some good flights, including a trip from Italy
to Morocco and
back.
It was an S10-v (not 'T'). Excellent performance in
cruise, not ideal
takeoff perfo. But I must say, with 2 people and full
tanks, I was way
beyond MTOW.
Good for taking friends in the air, excellent for soaring
safaris,
quite good for serious XC, especially if the center
of gravity had
been optimised (if setup for a 70kg solo, than it's
quite awkward in
thermals with 200kg in the cockpit...)

I never lost a day due to technical malfunctions.
TE probe never worked well.
Manoevrabily with positive flaps is less than satisfactory:
better
revert to zero, manoever, than +flaps again.

Maintenance costs are quite high, due to low propeller
TBO almost
doubling engine costs. I was told that later the TBO
had been
extended, thus reducing propeller costs by some 30%

Tough for landing in a crosswind. Things get easier
on a long runway.
The long legs of the undercarriage are much tougher
than they look.
But you do need a smooth surface.

Beware of small holes, ditches etc when taxiing on
grass: it's quite
easy to damage the propeller on a ground impact.

The VT has much better takeoff performance.

I regret having lost the opportunity to fly it: the
owner has finally
sold it.

Aldo Cernezzi
dg600M

Forest,
I am considering purchasing a new 2015 Stemme S10VT but would like someone to hangar talk with. Please contact me off post if you could.
.

Thanks,
Jim
Old November 12th 16, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 5:14:09 AM UTC-7, Mal wrote:
http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/2002/A02_9_11.pdf

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...617259628.html

I wont fly in one.

Are the STEM powered gliders rated for power towing by the MFTG?
Old November 13th 16, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've owned a S10VT since 2009. It is the only machine that is good for cruising at 100 kts consuming 3 gallons/hour for up to 9 hours and, when in glider mode, has a performance par to 15 m gliders
It is also very balanced for low speed flying in thermals.

The new S12 must be even better
Old November 14th 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Folks who can afford products like the Stemme tend to like that new car smell. Plus Stemme's seem to hold their value well, which makes the upgrade even more appealing. In my view owning a Stemme is like owning a Supercar. I've heard the Stemme is a descent glider, but I've also heard the new one (12?) with the longer wings (26m?) doesn't perform much better than the original one. But so what? :-) It has longer wings! It is therefore cooler. And so on... This doesn't have to be entirely rational. See classic or sportscar owners, or airplane owners, etc.

I'm always surprised that Stemme owners never seem to enter contests such as the open nationals or sports class nationals. It would be fun to see how they "actually" perform even within the minimal level of objective measure that US OLC tasking still provides. Do Stemme's ever compete in Europe?

At the end of they day, if I lived out west, and just wanted to play glider pilot once in awhile and take friends for rides with ease, the Stemme is still the coolest motor glider on earth.

Looking forward to taking a ride in one someday soon.
Old November 14th 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's what I like: If one can "afford" a Stemme, he must be able to
afford it. How about this: I simply decided I wanted one and made
sacrifices in other areas to be able to afford it, then I got very lucky
knowing and meeting some folks who pointed me to a pristine example that
was sorely under utilized.

Super car? What's a new ASG-29 cost? Not a lot less than a 14-year old
Stemme. And you should get your numbers right. The S-10 has a 23 meter
span and the S-12 has 25. What's better? It has a baggage compartment
and electric trim! I believe you an also install an auto pilot, but for
me, that removes all fun and challenge.

The Stemme is an open class ship because it has long wings, not because
it's a super performer, but it /_is_/ adequate. It has a 50:1 glide
angle at best L/D and runs pretty nicely at 80 KIAS. It has a 1.10 OLC
handicap which means it's not a screamer. It's more like a Bentley than
a Ferrari to use the car analogy.

Never enter contests? Who cares about contests other than those few who
go to contests? I don't "play glider pilot" and fly once in a while.
In the 8 months I've owned my Stemme, I've flown it 223 hours, taught my
wife to fly it, and enjoyed her company on about 75% of the flights. We
flew a 285 km flight on 10/23. Where else can you find an aircraft with
the soaring performance of the Stemme and still be able to cruise on
engine power at 140 KTAS at 18,000' while burning only about 3.5 gph?
Of course, if I was a glutton for punishment, I could motor up to the
service ceiling of 33,000', but that would just be vulgar (and cold).

I once heard a guy in a Harley-Davidson dealership say, "It'd be cool to
ride a Harley", and I knew he'd be wasting a lot of money and the bike
would sit unused for a few years before he sold it for a big loss. It's
not about "cool". It's about doing what you want and not caring too
much about what others think.

Next time you're in Moriarty, stop by and I'll give you a flight.

--
Dan, 5J

Old November 14th 16, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 06:43:58 -0800, Sean wrote:

At the end of they day, if I lived out west, and just wanted to play
glider pilot once in awhile and take friends for rides with ease, the
Stemme is still the coolest motor glider on earth.

.... and I'm fairly sure its still the only aircraft to have soared Everest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnNWnlLuT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxlbxdYTPZE

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 14th 16, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

......I've flown it 223
hours, taught my wife to fly it, and enjoyed her company on about
75% of the flights.Â*....snip.

.....er....ah....Dan, I think you made a big faux pas that needs correction ASAP. I'm sure you meant to say, "I enjoyed her company 100% of the time. We fly together 75% of the time".

It's almost Christmas, what were you thinking?
Mike
Old November 15th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"I enjoyed her company 100% of the time. We fly together 75% of the time".

A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) often says "I've been happily married for ten years. I've been LEGALLY married for thirty."

Stemme S10VT for sale [email protected] Soaring 2 March 27th 11 07:37 PM
STEMME GMBH & CO KG Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 8th 07 11:22 AM
Stemme Mal[_4_] Soaring 2 June 23rd 07 03:17 AM
Stemme S10 VT Mal Soaring 1 August 29th 06 04:15 PM
FS Stemme S 10V soarski Soaring 1 January 24th 05 11:09 PM