PIREP: New Airport Restaurant at Janesville, WI (JVL)

Old January 30th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default PIREP: New Airport Restaurant at Janesville, WI (JVL)

Mary and I were able to fly to Janesville, WI today, on this bitterly cold
January day, (temperatures here dropped 50 degrees in 24 hours!) to sample
the new on-field restaurant, "Kealys".

It was worth the trip, despite the ice-covered ramp and -24 degree wind
chill.

Kealys occupies the same area as the old "CAVU Cafe", but the new owners
have completely updated it, with new carpet and paint, all new ceiling tiles
(with cool Corsair ceiling fans), and lots of aviation artwork and knick
knacks. (As the owners of an aviation-themed hotel, Mary and I *know*
aviation "stuff", and complimented the owner on his decor!)

The menu has been updated as well, with lots of great new choices. They
have kept the ever-popular-with-pilots "breakfast all day", but have added
some awesome new choices, like strawberry-stuffed French toast, a wide
variety of skillets, and home-made breads.

They're only been open a couple of days (they weren't planning on opening
till February 1st, but managed to get 'er done early), and we were their
very first fly-in customers, due to the incredibly bad weather of late --
and they treated us like royalty.

Mary tried the French toast, and pronounced it as good as Door County fare
(stuffed French toast is a breakfast specialty that is often served in Door
County, Wisconsin's premiere vacation destination) -- high praise, indeed.

I, of course, opted for the least healthy choice of all, the "Everything
Skillet". This gastronomical marvel contained hashbrowns, sauteed onions,
mushrooms, green peppers, tomatoes, with two eggs, bacon, sausage, and ham,
all smothered with sausage gravy and cheese. (I could feel my arteries
stiffening within minutes!) It was served with marvelous thick-cut home-made
wheat toast, and excellent coffee.

Prices were standard for this kind of a premium breakfast, at $20, plus tip.
I spoke at length with the owner (who also owns another "Kealy's Restaurant"
in town) about pricing, and he's actually lowered his prices a bit to
attract more city folk to the airport -- a good plan, indeed. (We all know
that an airport restaurant -- or hotel -- cannot survive on pilots alone.
There just are not enough of us!)

My coffee never got cold (without having to ask for refills), Mary's hot
water (for tea) was continually refilled, the food was hot enough to burn
your mouth on, and -- of course -- the view of the airport was unparalleled.
(Not that we saw a single other plane fly in -- or out, during our 90 minute
stay. Those JVL tower controllers must read a LOT of good books...)

Overall I'd rate the place top notch -- great food, good prices, nice
owners. They are hoping for a big fly-in crowd this weekend, weather
permitting -- and I sincerely hope the pilot community around the Midwest
rallies to their cause. We need MORE airport businesses like this one...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA