Armed forces of an independent Scotland

Old July 8th 04, 11:07 PM
phil hunt

Default Armed forces of an independent Scotland

There's recently been speculation in the media that UK defence cuts
ewill result in some or all of Scotland's infantry regiments being
disbanded[1]. If Scotland became an independent state, what
sort of armed forces should it have -- if you were appointed
Scottish minister of defence, what would you do?

[1] see for example:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3310763.stm,
http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=4282

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)

Old July 8th 04, 11:19 PM
Robert Peffers

rg...

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.u...e=s1_1_1&newsi
d=4282

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)

Frae Auld bob Peffers:
Well Denmark does very well as they are. Anyway Scotland would be entitled
to her share of the UK armed forces, (or if not we could hang on to ALL the
nukes as hostages). If they don't give us our proper share the Indians,
Pakistanis, Israelis or even the Palestinians may pay well for them. Even
the Koreas have nuclear ambitions.

Aefauldlie, (Scots word for Honestly),
Robert, (Auld Bob), Peffers,
Kelty,
Fife,
Scotland, (UK).
Web Site, "The Eck's Files":- http://www.peffers50.freeserve.co.uk
E-Mail:-
(Tak oot the wee dug tae send e-mail).

---
Aa ootgannin screivings maun hae nae wee beasties wi thaim..
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old July 8th 04, 11:29 PM
Robert Peffers

"Peter Kemp" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:07:21 +0100, (phil hunt)
wrote:

There's recently been speculation in the media that UK defence cuts
ewill result in some or all of Scotland's infantry regiments being
disbanded[1]. If Scotland became an independent state, what
sort of armed forces should it have -- if you were appointed
Scottish minister of defence, what would you do?

4-6 fisheries protection vessels, alsae guid for keeping the damn
English away fra the wee oil platferms.

one of them Brewery ships sounds like a guid idee an all, fer keeping
the troops mora...morae.....spirits oop.
Now, are we goona join that Nato thingie or not?

If we are, then a coople of battalians of infantree shood werk well
fer yon peeckeepin roll, and we can gaw down and smack the damn
Sassenachs occasionaly an all.

A few MPAs (again 4-6) for long range patrol, plus C2 of any SAR work,
plus a dozen Merlins for both land and naval work (SAR, troop
transposrt, resupply).

If Bonnie auld Scotland did ever split, I see them (if you haven't
guessed I'm not a native Scottish speaker) more as an Ireland (minimal
forces except for peacekeping and EEZ patrol), than a Sweden
(extremely large and competant forces for the size of economy and
population).

Peter "Hoots Mon, where's me kilt?" Kemp

Frae Auld Bob Peffers:
Oirish! ye soondit mair lik aa Sootheron til me. Aiblins yo maun bi an
Inglis Oirisher? DARFC

Old July 9th 04, 12:15 AM
Ian Morrison

"josiah-jenkins" wrote in message

Scottish Piranha (Queen's Regiment)
abbreviated to "SPQR"
(Senatus Populusque Romanus",
ie "The Senate and People of Rome.")
tenuous

Extremely tenuous!

link to "Pontius Pilate's Bodyguard"
(the Royal Scots,
oldest Infantry Regiment of the Line in the British Army)

Are they not a tank regiment now? An ex-neighbour of mine was sent to
Ir*q as part of the recent illegal invasion force and he was in a tank
(his mother reportedly said "can you imagine what it smells like in a
tank full of 18 year old boys?"). I'm pretty sure it is the Royal Scots
that he is in.

------
Ian O.

Old July 9th 04, 12:28 AM
BfB

"Robert Peffers" wrote in message

"phil hunt" wrote in message
rg...
[...]

Explain this bit, please.

'But senior civil servants say the current level of poor Army recruiting and
retention cannot go on. Already, Scottish regiments rely on hundreds of
Fijian soldiers to bolster the ranks, at a time when commitments to Iraq and
Afghanistan are mounting.'

Old July 9th 04, 12:50 AM
Thomas Schoene

Ian Morrison wrote:
"josiah-jenkins" wrote in message

(the Royal Scots,
oldest Infantry Regiment of the Line in the British Army)

Are they not a tank regiment now?

Still light-role infantry according to the British Army. They have been to
Iraq, but don't seem to have gone in during the invasion, ariving in
December of 2003.

An ex-neighbour of mine was sent to
Ir*q as part of the recent illegal invasion force and he was in a tank
(his mother reportedly said "can you imagine what it smells like in a
tank full of 18 year old boys?"). I'm pretty sure it is the Royal
Scots that he is in.

Perhaps he is actually in the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, who are a tank
unit and were in the actual invasion force.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old July 9th 04, 12:52 AM

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:15:50 +0000 (UTC), I read these words from "Ian
Morrison" :

"josiah-jenkins" wrote in message

Scottish Piranha (Queen's Regiment)
abbreviated to "SPQR"
(Senatus Populusque Romanus",
ie "The Senate and People of Rome.")
tenuous

Extremely tenuous!

link to "Pontius Pilate's Bodyguard"

Not at all !

Old Ponty was a Roman geezer, wasn't he ?

I know he was born in Embra New Town or somewhere like that,
OK it might have been Wester Hailes, but his Old Man was one
of those "fasces" fellows from Rome.

Q. How come the city was never known as Reme ?
Did they toss a denarii to decide whose name went on the maps ?

(the Royal Scots,
oldest Infantry Regiment of the Line in the British Army)

Are they not a tank regiment now? An ex-neighbour of mine was sent to
Ir*q as part of the recent illegal invasion force and he was in a tank
(his mother reportedly said "can you imagine what it smells like in a
tank full of 18 year old boys?"). I'm pretty sure it is the Royal Scots
that he is in.

How the heck would I know ?

I just went raking on Google to find something to post (FGS) !

A W-S gets away with it all the time !!

Away and re-calculate your impending parachute and geezpeace !

-- The Despicable Stewart
-- Perfidious Alban
-- http://www.ian-stewart.dsl.pipex.com/