WTB: Evans VP-2 Volksplane Plans

Old June 7th 05, 04:51 AM
Richard Craig

Thanks for the advice. I had already found the "free" VP-2 plans on the
net. I was considering the VP-2 as a single-seater since I exceed the
VP-1's useful load. I had wanted to do things right, and avoid any
copyright problems by legally buying a set of plans for my use.

Dick Craig

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
If you search the net you can find VP-2 plans free, but they are not at
the Evans Volksplane site,...he no longer sells nor gives away the VP2
plans. Check out the VP2 builders in the volksplane group on yahoo. There
are quite a few flying. A nominal two seater but a nice roomy one seater
from what I have heard.

Old June 7th 05, 05:30 AM
Anthony W

Richard Craig wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I had already found the "free" VP-2 plans on the
net. I was considering the VP-2 as a single-seater since I exceed the
VP-1's useful load. I had wanted to do things right, and avoid any
copyright problems by legally buying a set of plans for my use.

Dick Craig

I have the same problem. At 6'5", I'm to big for most planes. One
thing I've heard is don't plan to power a VP@ with a VW type 1 engine,
it's just not enough. Plan on a Corvair or similar powered conversion.

Tony
Old June 7th 05, 03:38 PM
W P Dixon

Dick,
As I understand it people in the VP world that wish to build the VP-2
get the free plans off the net and then as a courtesy buy the VP-1 plans
from Evans. Just kinda gives him something for his effort and design, and
then they build the VP-2! I am sure Mr. Evans appreciates it and you won't
feel as if you are stepping on someones toes as well A fellow in Church
Hill, TN has his VP-2 on it's gear and is coming along very well. Myself I
am trying to locate some good douglas fir for the vertical, and am laying
out ribs for the horizontal as well. Actually I am laying it out on a
template so I can cut them all out with a router, and will do the same for
the wing ribs.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

k.net...

Old June 7th 05, 05:02 PM

Evans pulled the VP2 for liability reasons. It's a good one-seat
design, but a marginal two-seater.

You might also consider the Bowers Fly Baby (bowersflybaby.com). Pete
Bowers was over six feet and 200#. It's a more complicated airplane
than the VP, though. I settled on the FB after getting plans for the
VP 1 and 2, and trying on a VP1 for size. I've written about my
rationale (and other stuff) he
www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm

Corrie

Old June 7th 05, 05:29 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 03:45:26 GMT, "Richard Craig"
wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
roups.com...
Later he took
them off all together because of the liability. If the designer wasn't
sure if it's airworthy, why would you?

You are right about Evans taking the VP-2 plans of the market was due to
liability concerns. But, is was not because the plane wasn't airworthy, it
was because of the potential of a lawsuit from a passenger, since the plane
was designed as a 2-seater (that's the story as I understand it). My intent
is to explore the design as single seater (which as been done many times
already) since I am not the FAA standard size pilot of 170#.

richard
get a set of plans by any means that you feel comfortable with.
they are A3 size drawings.
I could email you digital photos of mine if it came to it.
modify the seat to a single seat and register it as an experimental
amateurbuilt richard craig 1.
gets around all your problems.

send bill evans a carton of beer.
Stealth Pilot