14 Volt Gel Cell?

Old May 4th 04, 01:31 AM
Joe Allbritten

Default 14 Volt Gel Cell?

Does anyone know where I can purchase a 14 Volt gel cell battery. I
know I can wire 2 or more in series to get 14Volt,(12 + 2 or 6 + 8
etc..) but I thought someone might know where you can purchase a
single 14V battery.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4th 04, 01:51 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earluer, Joe Allbritten wrote:

Does anyone know where I can purchase a
14 Volt gel cell battery...

In the 25-odd years I've been in soaring, I don't think
I've ever seen a 14-volt gel-cell battery that wasn't
either a twelve and a two or two fours and a six. That's
the way I've always wired them together.

One useful bit of advice I've had on making them was
to stick with cells of the same manufacturer and similar
amp-hour ratings.

Bob K.

Old May 4th 04, 02:10 AM
Bill Daniels

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
Earluer, Joe Allbritten wrote:

Does anyone know where I can purchase a
14 Volt gel cell battery...

In the 25-odd years I've been in soaring, I don't think
I've ever seen a 14-volt gel-cell battery that wasn't
either a twelve and a two or two fours and a six. That's
the way I've always wired them together.

One useful bit of advice I've had on making them was
to stick with cells of the same manufacturer and similar
amp-hour ratings.

Bob K.

If you want to play with rechargeable lithium-ion cells, each cell is 3.5V
so four of them are 15V. Lithium-Ion polymer cells are becoming available
but they are more expensive than lead acid.

Bill Daniels

Old May 4th 04, 02:11 AM
Sam Fly

Joe,

Why do you want 14 volts...Most radios have a 12 volt regulator that
drops 14 volts to 12 volts...I for years used 14 volts only to find out
is was not required. Have used 12 volts with no problems since...

Sam Fly

Old May 4th 04, 02:22 AM
Eric Greenwell

Joe Allbritten wrote:

Does anyone know where I can purchase a 14 Volt gel cell battery. I
know I can wire 2 or more in series to get 14Volt,(12 + 2 or 6 + 8
etc..) but I thought someone might know where you can purchase a
single 14V battery.

Never seen one, but I'm curious about what you want to power.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 4th 04, 04:41 AM
Tim Mara

I have combinations or 4V(2) +6V or 12V +2 V batteries to get you to
14V.........but honestly, I sell these because some still think because
their radio says 13.5V or 14V input they need this combination.....they
don't, I have run everything from Radair's and Terra's to Dittel and
Becker's with straight 12V batteries...these along even with GPS, Ipaq's and
flight computers...they all run just fine with 12V Battery supply (which BTW
will give you better than 13.5 volts on a full charge). feeding your
equipment on 14V set-ups will work just fine too....everything "glows" a bit
hotter and is happy....but your equipment will also run well below 11Volts,
some radios now even down to near the 9V range. Also when you feed higher
voltage the current drain will typically be higher so the mA's are going
away faster.....you trade Volts available for Volts used......better choice
is to make your lead and acid do the job at 12V supply.it's simple.it works
fine...and you won't be searching for battery combinations to fit....
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

om...

Old May 4th 04, 07:43 AM
Derrick Steed

Sam Fly wrote

Joe Allbritten wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase a 14 Volt gel cell battery. I
know I can wire 2 or more in series to get 14Volt,(12 + 2 or 6 + 8
etc..) but I thought someone might know where you can purchase a
single 14V battery.

Thanks in advance.

Er,... the terminal PD of a fully charged lead acid cell is 2.2V, so 6 of them in series results in a battery PD of 13.2V. As the cell discharges the PD will gradually fall to some value under 2V (how fast and how long this process takes depends on the rate of discharge and the relative "health" of the cell. So you may end up with you battery actually providing less than 12V for a good part of the time it is in use.

I suspect that manufacturers put 14V on their kit to get across the point that is well able to withstand the PD of a fully charge gell cell battery.

Rgds,

Derrick.

Old May 5th 04, 03:58 AM
Joe Allbritten

Joe Allbritten wrote:
[...]

Derrick, Sam, Tim, Others
Thanks for the reply.
The reasons I think I need 14VDC a
1.) That is what I received with the glider when I purchased it 2
years ago. ( 12 +2)
2.) The radio spec sheet calls for 14 VDC. It even states if you put
this in a 28VDC aircraft, purchase the 28 to 14 VDC converter. The
radio is a IImorrow Apollo 704. I am afraid to try 12VDC without
consulting directly with the manufacturer. Reason being that if the
voltage is below what it is designed for, some electrical/electronic
parts will increase the current draw (amps). Excessive current loads
can very damaging to electrical/electronic devices. I know it will
burn up motors etc.. but not completely sure about electronics. (I
am certianly not an electronic Engineer)

Joe
Old May 5th 04, 07:25 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Joe Allbritten wrote:
[...]

Let us know where you find a 14v charger.

TIA,

Frank Whiteley

Old May 5th 04, 09:36 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Joe
Allbritten writes
Derrick, Sam, Tim, Others
Thanks for the reply.
The reasons I think I need 14VDC a
1.) That is what I received with the glider when I purchased it 2
years ago. ( 12 +2)
2.) The radio spec sheet calls for 14 VDC. It even states if you put
this in a 28VDC aircraft, purchase the 28 to 14 VDC converter. The
radio is a IImorrow Apollo 704. I am afraid to try 12VDC without
consulting directly with the manufacturer. Reason being that if the
voltage is below what it is designed for, some electrical/electronic
parts will increase the current draw (amps). Excessive current loads
can very damaging to electrical/electronic devices. I know it will
burn up motors etc.. but not completely sure about electronics. (I
am certianly not an electronic Engineer)

Joe

Not sure about FAA but as I recall, CAA require a radio to operate down
to at least 10.5 on 121.500MHz before approval will be granted. A modern
radio will do this on all frequencies. You are not going to fry your
radio just because the supply is slightly low, but you could do this if
the volts are too high (hence the 28/14 converter).

Tim Newport-Peace

"May you be cursed with a chronic anxiety about the weather."

John Burroughs (1837-1921).