Post-Mission Projects

Old January 30th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Post-Mission Projects

Jay's comment about Iowa City and Mormon Trek Road reminded me of a few
projects that I have been thinking about for when I return to the good
ol' US of A.

One was an aerial photographic survey of the Mormon Trail, along with
some ground shots, documenting what is left of the trail. It is fast
disappearing. I wonder what such a project would cost and how I would
go about it. I probably would need at least one other
photographer/pilot to go with me. It would be nice if I could fit an
aerial photography blimp into the budget. I would think that the
project would take a couple years at least, so that I could photograph
the area at different times of the year and also to fit into whatever
else I am doing. I can't think of any possible monetary benefit; it
would have to be entirely a labor of love. I could also do the Oregon
Trail and some other trails in conjunction with this project. But to
make it worthwhile, the whole thing would have to be at least National
Geographic quality or, even better, Arizona Highways, which means at
least some of the shooting would have to be done with field cameras.

Similar projects involve documenting ancient Native American sites,
both from the air and the ground.

The way I see it, this would be kind of a full-time nomadic thing, for
which I would probably need a Winnebago as well as an airplane.

Old January 30th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The way I see it, this would be kind of a full-time nomadic thing, for
which I would probably need a Winnebago as well as an airplane.

Or better yet a Winnebago and some type of trailerable plane, maybe an
ultralight.

--
Louis L. Perley III
N370

Old January 30th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
The way I see it, this would be kind of a full-time nomadic thing, for
which I would probably need a Winnebago as well as an airplane.

You would be in good, if small in number, company.

IMHO, this guy has exactly the right idea:
http://www.adrielheisey.com/

I only have his book "Under the Sun", but that one includes some
story-telling about the photography itself, how he trailers his custom
ultralight around and the challenges involved in operating off-airport
(mostly having nothing to do with the aviation itself, which is fairly
straightforward ).

His photos are beautiful, and reading his book makes me want to just drop
everything and take a few years to do the same thing he's doing.

You can actually get a lot more details about his work Googling his name.
His web site is short on details, being mainly a sales portal.

Pete

Old January 30th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm not LDS, but I live in "Mormon Country" and am an avocational
archaeologist. Seems to me that the Mormon Trail is pretty well
documented. They have even had re-enactments along the length of it with
wagons, horses and hand carts, etc. In any event, I'm sure that "The
Church" would be glad to help you with their extensive information base
and technical/financial help if they feel you could improve on current
documentation.

What is less well documented is the Honeymoon Trail in AZ and southern
UT. I'm sure you know what that is as an LDS missionary. The Bureau of
Land Management has info on that one. I'm familiar with some interesting
parts of it.

Old January 30th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

[...]

cj,

If only I could afford to work for that long "on spec" I'd sign up like a
shot!

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/aerials
(Not quite NG or AZ Hwys quality but dare to dream...)

Old January 30th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

[...]

Here's a project that sounds very similar to the one you mention:

www.chasinglewisandclark.com

They used a "fat" ultralight and a 'Bago or equivalent.

KB

Old January 30th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jay's comment about Iowa City and Mormon Trek Road reminded me of a few
projects that I have been thinking about for when I return to the good
ol' US of A.

One was an aerial photographic survey of the Mormon Trail, along with
some ground shots, documenting what is left of the trail.

snip

These guys did a nice job with the Lewis & Clark Journey via AirCam. I've read their book and it was a very
professional job.

http://lewisandclarkbyair.com/

I've flown the Santa Fe Trail and I've considered flying the Oregon / Mormon Trail in the future.

I'd suggest "The Oregon, California, and Mormon Trails by Air: A pilot's Guide to the Immigrant Trails" (ISBN
0-9655085-9-5) as a starting point for your research. The Author is William W. White. He had a website but I
haven't been able to find it, lately. E-mail me for a phone number if you need it or you can Google for more info.
I believe Google may archive old websites? Try Western Airtrails.com out of Logan, Utah.

If you make the journey, please report back here occasionally as I'd be very interested in your progress. I wish I
could tag along. It sounds like a great project.

Joe Schneider
N8437R

Old January 31st 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

RomeoMike wrote:
I'm not LDS, but I live in "Mormon Country" and am an avocational
archaeologist. Seems to me that the Mormon Trail is pretty well
documented. They have even had re-enactments along the length of it with
wagons, horses and hand carts, etc. In any event, I'm sure that "The
Church" would be glad to help you with their extensive information base
and technical/financial help if they feel you could improve on current
documentation.

What is less well documented is the Honeymoon Trail in AZ and southern
UT. I'm sure you know what that is as an LDS missionary. The Bureau of
Land Management has info on that one. I'm familiar with some interesting
parts of it.

cjcampbell wrote:

An interesting idea at that. Might be better flying weather, too. :-)
There is another couple missionary here, stationed in Baguio, Elder
Brian Smith and his wife. Elder Smith has already done some very
interesting photography in that area and no doubt would be interested
in furthering that.

Old January 31st 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

JJS wrote:

These guys did a nice job with the Lewis & Clark Journey via AirCam. I've read their book and it was a very
professional job.

http://lewisandclarkbyair.com/

I've flown the Santa Fe Trail and I've considered flying the Oregon / Mormon Trail in the future.

I'd suggest "The Oregon, California, and Mormon Trails by Air: A pilot's Guide to the Immigrant Trails" (ISBN
0-9655085-9-5) as a starting point for your research. The Author is William W. White. He had a website but I
haven't been able to find it, lately. E-mail me for a phone number if you need it or you can Google for more info.
I believe Google may archive old websites? Try Western Airtrails.com out of Logan, Utah.

Thanks. I will take a look at at that.

Old January 31st 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

cj wrote:
The way I see it, this would be kind of a full-time nomadic thing, for
which I would probably need a Winnebago as well as an airplane.

Maybe this will fit the bill?

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/fltline2/avion.htm

The Monk