MOST UGLY GLIDER ?

Old February 21st 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default MOST UGLY GLIDER ?

The url author says that Henry Preiss designed the
RHJ sailplanes. Considerable credit(?) should be given
to Dick Schreder, although I'm not sure he would want
it. Preiss took the HP-18 design and widened the fuselage
so as to put side by side seating in it. Someone 'out
west' did a T-tail version of the HP-18 and put in
a center stick. I don't know whether the RHJ-8 drew
on that effort for its T-tail.

There were lots of jokes around here in the mid-West
about the arguments between Preiss and Schreder over
this glider.

At 00:12 21 February 2006, Wayne Paul wrote:

'MickiMinner' wrote in message
roups.com...
Ok, now an argument has REALLY started. My husband
and I are
disagreeing about the ugliest glider. I say a genesis
is (short
squatty), whereas my husband says the genesis is really
quite lovely.
His vote is for the 'whale' RHJ-?.
I dunno, but Malcom, I don't have pictures of either,
but you really
made us spit out our coffee laughing while reading
your new thread.

Here is a picture a RHJ-8
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/C-FAJT.html
which is much nicer than an RHJ-7
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/N7514.html

Old February 21st 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think the ugliest glider was the one flown by Icarus - you know the one
with feather wings held together by wax. Icarus ignored the placard about
flying the mountain wave and it came apart in flight. The Crete FAA issued
an AD note that no further gliders were to be constructed with wax.

Other than that, I do not think I have ever seen an ugly glider. They are
all so graceful in the air - doing what they are designed to do.

Colin

Old February 21st 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
The url author says that Henry Preiss designed the
RHJ sailplanes. Considerable credit(?) should be given
to Dick Schreder, although I'm not sure he would want
it. Preiss took the HP-18 design and widened the fuselage
so as to put side by side seating in it. Someone 'out
west' did a T-tail version of the HP-18 and put in
a center stick. I don't know whether the RHJ-8 drew
on that effort for its T-tail.

There were lots of jokes around here in the mid-West
about the arguments between Preiss and Schreder over
this glider.

Just a small correction --- All three of the RHJ designs were based on the
HP-14 (not the HP-18). I only have pictures of two RHJ-8s and they both
have "T" tails that look very similar to the "T" tail option Dick Schreder
provided for the late version of the HP-14 and HP-16 kits.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old February 21st 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

RHJ's are "Based on" - pretty loosely - the HP-14 and later HP-18...
The RHJ-7 uses essentially HP-14 wings with a custom fuelage, V-tail,
and fixed gear.
The RHJ-8s use a completely different wing and fuselage though the
T-tail looks similar to some HP-14s.
The RHJ-9 uses a different wing and fuselage, with foam ribs similar in
construction to HP-18.
The RHJ-10 used RHJ-9 wings and an enormous single-seat fuselage like a
stretched 14.
Probably more info than you wanted...
One of these days I'll get my RHJ-8 back in the air, too many toys, not
enough time...
See ya, Dave

PS: Dick and Henry apparently had a falling out, after which Dick would
only grudgingly admit parentage, but the DNA-tests prove it...

PPS: RHJ is for Richard (Dick Schreder), Henry (Preiss), and Joyce
(Henry's wife).

Old February 21st 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Someone told me that in Polish it means "urchin". Can anyone validate that?

Just passing on a definition, not an opinion. I fly my club's Smyk PW-5 and
don't think it's particularly ugly. With that tubular tail boom, it's just
not as streamlined as many other ships.

"Bob Caldwell" wrote in
message ...
So what is a Smyk anyway???

Old February 21st 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike Lindsay wrote:

Wasn't the Me 141 a bit like that?

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Blohm & Voss BV 141
reconnaissance plane?

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/bv141.html

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
Old February 21st 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Roger Worden napisał(a):
Someone told me that in Polish it means "urchin". Can anyone validate that?

Well it is rather kid not urchin.

regards
--
--=JJay=--
www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, my photos at airfoto.pl - http://tiny.pl/xlkk
Old February 21st 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, "Smyk" in polish means a rascal, a kind of a spoiled kid, and
also it can be used as a softened word for *******. Even though I speak
Polish I don't like the name of this glider. They should name it
differently. But I don't think the glider is ugly.....gliders are built
for purpose and the beauty issue is only in the heads of the @#%&^$#
morons.

Jacek Kobiesa
Washington State

Old February 21st 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Take a look at the Farner Colibri motorglider:

http://flatrock.org.nz/topics/flying...hf_colibri.htm

or the related microlight glider Aviafiber canard:

http://delta.plane.free.fr/ailes/canard-2FL.jpg

They are weird!

And do you remember Phil Lamson's « Quark » ? A 10 ft fuselage with
prone pilot position, and 20 ft wing (later extended to 30, then 40
ft). Unfortunately, I couldn't find a picture on the web. You'll
find it in "Soaring", June '67.

Old February 21st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I said there are no ugly gliders. I didn't say all gliders are
beautiful, or equally good looking.

As to the best looking glider, that's like asking an orchestra
conductor to name his or her favorite piece of music. The answer will
invariably be, "The next one I conduct."

Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM