Question to Mxmanic

Old April 14th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Question to Mxmanic

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Snowbird writes:

Do you have a reference saying this is always the case?

Every reference I've checked says so. They sink at a variable rate, but
usually at least 150-200 feet per minute, sometimes much more.

They have to do this, because it is the reaction to forcing the downwash
downward that produces lift.

Maybe the propwash?

I'd expect the propwash to be drawn down with the downwash, but I'm not sure.
I would not expect the propwash to be significant after two minutes.

What you expect and what really happens in real airplanes are obviously
two different things.

Any object in the air with an airspeed greater than zero has wake
turbulance.

The precise details of that turbulance depend upon the shape of the
object, the speed of the object, and the condition of the surrounding
air.

The wake turbulance of transport category aircraft has been widely
studied because such turbulance is dangerous to other aircraft.

The wake turbulance of light aircraft has not been studied to such
a degree, if at all, because the worst that happens when you fly
through it is you experience a little bump, i.e. no one cares
about it.

Therefor, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to find any
information on the typical characteristics of the wake turbulance
generated by a Cessna 182, or any other GA aircraft other than from
the experiences of real pilots.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 14th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip

On Apr 14, 6:05 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Snowbird writes:
Tip vortices is not the only form of turbulence behind an aircraft. And an
airliner on approach has a different type of wake than a trainer at
altitude.

All of them should be moving downward, though. Which means that if you try to
catch your own wake at constant altitude, you should miss it, as it will have
drifted downward. Or am I missing something?

The best value of a good simulator is that it enables training of situations
that would be unsafe to do in a real aircraft.Flying into wake turbulence is
a good example.

But flying into wake turbulence can flip your aircraft onto the ground. Is
that really worth practicing? You should be avoiding it instead.

Rather like the logic that says that it's better to train at avoiding spins
than to train at recovering from them.

It´s the same training fjukktard

bertie

Old April 14th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Maxwell writes:

Sixty degrees turns are part of routine PPL training, without a parachute.

Training is exempt from the parachute requirement.

Check the regs you so often quote with implied authority.

I've already pointed to them, and if you had looked at them yourself, you
would have seen the exemption for training.

Finding your own wake turbulence while doing 60/360s happens every day, and
is most often demonstrated by every CFI.

At constant altitude?

Descending 360 turns are executed routinely by pilots needing to descend
without leaving an area, such as descending to land after crossing high
mountains.

Ah ... descending turns are different, and you might well enounter your own
wake in that case.

Old April 14th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Don't you have to descend to catch the wake? Downwash should be moving
downward at a few knots and IIRC the vortices do as well, so after two
minutes at, say, 12 knots, the turbulence would be almost 2500 feet
below you, if you are staying at altitude. I don't see how you could
run into it.

I'm not a physicist, but I suspect your calculations are missing several
factors, including (but not limited to) some that I can point out:

1) At a 45 degree bank, the wings are not actually pointed directly down.

2) In the typical trainer plane flying 100 knots, a 45 degree bank turn
will take far less than 2 minutes to go 360 degrees.

3) Wind can blow the wake in any number of directions, including up, and
including into the path of the 360 degree turn.

The bottom line is that the Practical Test Standards call for pilots to
perform a manuever called a Steep Turn of 360 degrees at a bank angle of 45
degrees. Every certificated pilot practices this, and demonstrates it to an
examiner, and frequently demonstrates it again during his or her Biannual
Flight Review.

Do you think it is more likely that the pilots on this newsgroup who
express that they have flown through their own wake while performing this
manuever are just lying to you?

Or perhaps you have miscalculated or omitted something from your
calculations.
Old April 14th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Maxwell writes:

Sixty degrees turns are part of routine PPL training, without a
parachute.

Training is exempt from the parachute requirement.

Check the regs you so often quote with implied authority.

I've already pointed to them, and if you had looked at them yourself, you
would have seen the exemption for training.

Finding your own wake turbulence while doing 60/360s happens every day,
and
is most often demonstrated by every CFI.

At constant altitude?

Descending 360 turns are executed routinely by pilots needing to descend
without leaving an area, such as descending to land after crossing high
mountains.

Ah ... descending turns are different, and you might well enounter your
own
wake in that case.

All your answers are either wrong or negligently incomplete. You ZEROed this
one too!

Old April 14th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

we weren't talking about beyond 60 degrees.

mike

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
mike regish writes:

no it wouldn't

If it's exactly 60 degrees, it wouldn't. Beyond 60 degrees, however, a
parachute is required. See FAR 91.307(c)(1).

Old April 14th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

rong

mik