Question to Mxmanic

Old April 15th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Default Question to Mxmanic

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

In the course of my research, it appears to be impossible. The sources
I consulted seemed more reliable than a name on a screen.

If you write the names on the screen down on a piece of paper, the two
sources will become equally anonymous, then.
Old April 15th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

mike regish writes:

If the local air mass is rising, it will slow the sink or even raise the
vortex.

And it will raise the aircraft, too, so the result is the same.

Old April 15th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

1) At a 45 degree bank, the wings are not actually pointed directly down.

Even at a 45-degree bank, the wake will still descend (and it will also move
outward, making it hard to catch as well).

3) Wind can blow the wake in any number of directions, including up, and
including into the path of the 360 degree turn.

But it will blow the aircraft in the same direction. The wake will still
descend relative to the aircraft.

Do you think it is more likely that the pilots on this newsgroup who
express that they have flown through their own wake while performing this
manuever are just lying to you?

No. I think they just don't realize that they were descending when they
caught their own wakes.

Or perhaps you have miscalculated or omitted something from your
calculations.

I didn't calculate much; I just looked things up. Without exception, every
source says that the wake descends. And it has to, since that's the only way
to keep the aircraft flying.

Old April 15th 07, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Sylvain writes:

Note that we were talking about turns at either 45 or 60 degrees bank; with
a typical trainer flying at, say 90 or 100 knots, a 360 would be completed
under say, 35 or 20 seconds respectively. Now, if your numbers of 200
feet per minute are correct (and don't take it personally if I have my
doubts), the turbulence would have gone down, by about 115 and 67 feet
respectively. Considering that the acceptable range of error in the PTS
for a private certificate is +/- 100 feet (for a 45 degrees of bank), it
is indeed possible to bump into your own turbulence, even using your
numbers.

If they descend, yes. QED.

Old April 15th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Maxwell writes:

The VISUAL effects of positive and negative Gs.

Vision goes first when a pilot experiences positive Gs. It goes dark. The
simulator darkens the screen when this happens.

The simulator does the same for redouts with negative Gs. The first time I
saw it, it took a while to figure out what it was. It only happens in
high-performance aircraft such as the Extra 300s, because small GA aircraft
and jetliners simply can't reach those accelerations without breaking up.

Old April 15th 07, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

If they descend, yes. QED.

Put some research effort into what QED means. You haven't proven
anything.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 15th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Don't forget that when you are making a steep turn, your vortices are not
sinking straight down. They are sinking perpindicular to your wings. I would
also guess, this IS just a guess though, that vortices sink at the lower end
of the range of sink rates you'll see given.

I've hit the wake in otherwise smooth air without showing any loss of
altitude in the turn. Since it's invisible, I can't say with absolute
certainty that it was my own wake, but it sure was the best explanation I
could come up with.

mike

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Ah ... descending turns are different, and you might well enounter your
own
wake in that case.

Old April 15th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Not if you are maintaining altitude via altimeter.

mike

Old April 15th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc[_4_]

I've done the same many times as well, both circling as well as in loops. In
an aerobatic plane with the smoke on it is easier to see your flight path of
course, which makes it easier and more fun.

This is just another example of book knowledge versus reality and
experience.