Lowrance 600C question

Old September 30th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jackal24

Default Lowrance 600C question

I just got a 600C and have a question: Terrain does not seem to appear in
any zoom level smaller than 30nm. Is this just a setting I have wrong?
Old September 30th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jackal24,

I just got a 600C and have a question: Terrain does not seem to appear in
any zoom level smaller than 30nm. Is this just a setting I have wrong?

What kind of unit do you have, US American or Internationl (it says on the
box). If you look at terrain outside the coverage area of the detailled
terrain, you might get this effect.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 1st 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jackal24

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Jackal24,

I just got a 600C and have a question: Terrain does not seem to
appear in any zoom level smaller than 30nm. Is this just a setting I
have wrong?

What kind of unit do you have, US American or Internationl (it says on
the box). If you look at terrain outside the coverage area of the
detailled terrain, you might get this effect.

The box says global, but the MMC card says America's.
Old October 1st 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jackal24,

The box says global, but the MMC card says America's.

Weird. Well, if the card says Americas, then you'll get less accurate
terrain outside the Americas. You might even get less accurate terrain
in South America, but that's something for Lowrance support to answer.
Where did you look? Do you see terrain vanishing everywhere below 30
nm? Have you checked the "Map Categories Drawn..." part of the menu?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 2nd 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jackal24

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Jackal24,

The box says global, but the MMC card says America's.

Weird. Well, if the card says Americas, then you'll get less accurate
terrain outside the Americas. You might even get less accurate terrain
in South America, but that's something for Lowrance support to answer.
Where did you look? Do you see terrain vanishing everywhere below 30
nm? Have you checked the "Map Categories Drawn..." part of the menu?

I think I found the problem. Certain areas of Alaska exhibit the problem,
while others don't.
Old October 2nd 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jackal24,

Certain areas of Alaska exhibit the problem,
while others don't.

Complain to Lowrance support. It might help.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 3rd 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jackal24

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Jackal24,

Certain areas of Alaska exhibit the problem,
while others don't.

Complain to Lowrance support. It might help.

They said they couldn't replicate the problem and to return the unit. If
you have one, can you try zooming in to the airport 5NN and seeing if your
unit shows the problem. At a close zoom level on mine, you can see the
terrain disappears on part of the screen.

Thanks
Old October 3rd 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Edwin Johnson

On 2007-10-03, Jackal24 wrote:
Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

They said they couldn't replicate the problem and to return the unit. If
you have one, can you try zooming in to the airport 5NN and seeing if your
unit shows the problem. At a close zoom level on mine, you can see the
terrain disappears on part of the screen.

On my 600C the terrain doesn't disappear using the air map mode and I can
see a portion of the lake at .6 miles and continuing to zoom doesn't make
the terrain disappear. Just for your information the two pertinent maps in
my unit a

International Map.lcm 51092233 2006-03-29 15:28
Terrain_Americas.at5 406493181 2006-03-29 15:28

And haven't updated the Jeppesen database, so:

JepAmer0306.at5 10899350 2006-03-29 15:28

Not certain, but seems as if the Terrain... map has the details, roads,
businesses, etc. and the International... has the broader terrain features,
which is the one that would be displaying the area around 5NN. Would
updating those files help? They can be downloaded from Lowrance, I believe.

....Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson
Old October 3rd 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jackal24

Edwin Johnson wrote in
:

On my 600C the terrain doesn't disappear using the air map mode and I
can see a portion of the lake at .6 miles and continuing to zoom
doesn't make the terrain disappear. Just for your information the two
pertinent maps in my unit a

Thanks for the help. I think I will send my unit back to Lowrance.

Old October 4th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

On Oct 3, 10:08 am, Jackal24 wrote:
Edwin Johnson wrote :

On my 600C the terrain doesn't disappear using the air map mode and I
can see a portion of the lake at .6 miles and continuing to zoom
doesn't make the terrain disappear. Just for your information the two
pertinent maps in my unit a

Thanks for the help. I think I will send my unit back to Lowrance.

My appears to have the same problem when looking at 5NN. I have
never had any problems with other airports that I have looked at. At
150 miles everything looks normal. At 100 miles, the top half of the
screen shows no terrain. As I zoom in, it looks like it is missing
the same area of land. The terrain stops at N 60deg 00'03.3"

My International map is dated 7/11/06
Terrain_Americas 7/11/06
Jepps 9/21/06

I'd like to know if they have a problem with the software.

thanks,

John

PIREP Lowrance 600c xxx Piloting 3 May 29th 07 04:36 AM
Lowrance 600c Display Question Ebby Piloting 3 April 2nd 07 01:17 PM
Lowrance Airmap 600c GPS CareBear Piloting 12 October 26th 06 06:19 AM
Lowrance 600c: Preliminary Pirep xxx Piloting 2 October 21st 06 03:43 PM
Lowrance Airmap 600c GPS? Dan Youngquist Piloting 6 July 10th 06 05:19 PM