Does the 3-1 rule apply to air combat?

Old October 27th 03, 12:08 AM
BUFDRVR

Default Does the 3-1 rule apply to air combat?

A common rule of thumb is that the attacking force must have a 3x or
greater combination of quantity and quality to succeed in its attack.
Does this rule apply to air combat?

I believe I could argue it no longer applies to ground combat either.
Technology makes a good force multiplier, up to a point. I don't believe
coalition ground forces outnumbered Iraqi forces 3-1 in 1991 or 2003.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old October 27th 03, 12:40 AM
vincent p. norris

A common rule of thumb is that the attacking force must have a 3x or
greater combination of quantity and quality to succeed in its attack.
Does this rule apply to air combat?

No. There have been numerous instances in which a single airplane
snuck up on an unususpecting formation, knocked down a couple, and got
away.

Butch O'Hare comes to mind.

vince norris
Old October 27th 03, 12:42 AM

"Hobo" wrote in message

A common rule of thumb is that the attacking force must have a 3x or
greater combination of quantity and quality to succeed in its attack.
Does this rule apply to air combat?

No! You are not trying to seize and HOLD any airspace like the ground forces
are trying to do with the land. Actually I would rate skill, tactics, and
equipment over pure numbers.

Beside a couple of F-18's can easily beat a whole bunch of Piper Cubs. That
is if they don't run out of fuel.

Red

Old October 27th 03, 02:34 AM
Peter Kemp

On or about Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:40:41 -0500, vincent p. norris
allegedly uttered:

A common rule of thumb is that the attacking force must have a 3x or
greater combination of quantity and quality to succeed in its attack.
Does this rule apply to air combat?

No. There have been numerous instances in which a single airplane
snuck up on an unususpecting formation, knocked down a couple, and got
away.

Indeed, most air combat is more akin to ground skirmishing than full
up battles. The rule of thumb I'd put forwards is the oldest one.

Whoever spots the enemy first, wins. He who fails to spot the enemy at
all, dies.

Even now the spotting tends to be done by sensors rather more
farsighted than the Mk.1 eyeball, it still remains true.

All IMO as a non pilot.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - Drink Faster
Old October 27th 03, 11:28 AM
Cub Driver

A common rule of thumb is that the attacking force must have a 3x or
greater combination of quantity and quality to succeed in its attack.
Does this rule apply to air combat?

I don't know how you would calculate the variables, especially if you
are speaking of WWII. One Me-262 could really proved worrisome to a
formation of B-17s (though the Forts did prevail).

In addition, in aerial combat the intention is not to hold ground.
There are not many instances where an aerial formation can be said to
have "prevailed". Who prevailed in the Schweinfurt raid, for example?

I suppose we can say that the British prevailed in the Battle of
Britain. Certainly they didn't have a 3X advantage over the Germans.
More like 1.1X.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 27th 03, 11:29 AM
Cub Driver

Butch O'Hare comes to mind.

But he didn't prevail. The Japanese bombers did bomb the fleet. (They
didn't prevail, either, since they didn't sink it.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 27th 03, 09:27 PM
Cub Driver

True. No US ground force trains under conditions where it enjoys a
3:1, or even 2:1, superiority in terms of raw numbers.

The original poster said "quality and quantity." Arguably, the U.S.
had a better than 3-1 superiority over the Iraqi army and the fedayeen
when the quality of American weaponry is considered.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 28th 03, 03:12 AM
Leadfoot

How about First generation technology vs third generation technology i.e if
numbers are equal being at least two generations ahead in technology is
required.