Maps of gliding clubs (specifically near Chicago)

Old February 1st 05, 09:09 PM
Robert Sharpe

Default Maps of gliding clubs (specifically near Chicago)

Hi,

The British Gliding Association has a list of their clubs displayed on
a map (at http://www.gliding.co.uk/findaclub/ukmap.htm).

Does anyone know of similar maps for other countries ?

It took me a long time to find gliding clubs in Poland and then it was
difficult to determine how far they where from my hotel (excellent
list of world clubs at
http://www.esgc.co.uk/home.asp?start...country=poland
but no map). I ended up having to ask a local which was the nearest
club.

I want to fly in Chicago shortly and the Soaring Society of America
list 8 clubs in IL. I will have to determine the address of each club
and find them on a map related to where I am staying. This takes time
and I am sure that many people would have done this before.

I dont mind doing this once if the data that I find helps other
people, and therefore I can use data that other people have found.

If anyone knows of such maps, I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Sharpe (England)
Old February 1st 05, 09:43 PM

Very good question, none for Canada I know of. We don't want to make it
too easy to see where to find the "other" guys!

Maybe we need each country to prepare a waypoint file containing only
the club locations, then provide that to Mr. Leibacher and maybe he
would post them as a separate option on his site, as all one file or as
one file per country.

Then just open the waypoint file in your soaring software of choice to
do the distance calculations.

Those without SeeYou, etc., would have to view a set of maps on a
national soaring site (www.sac.ca for us). But each country then has a
fairly easy way to produce such a map as a screen snapshot from SeeYou
or whatever.

I'll see if I can get such a Canadian waypoint file going. That will
prove out the difficulties involved If anyone else can do their
country let's get together somehow.

Bob

Old February 2nd 05, 12:53 AM
Cloudy

Hi,

there's one for Germany, which answers your first question, but doesn't
help you much with regards to flying near Chicago I'm afraid...

http://www.segelflug.de/karte/d_karte.html

Claudia
Old February 2nd 05, 01:06 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Such a map is currently under development within the SSA.

Depending on how soon you want to fly gliders (or perhaps soar) around
Chicago, you may have to wait for the spring thaw.

Frank Whiteley
Colorado

om...

Old February 2nd 05, 01:18 AM

Robert,

Though I don't have a "map" of Chicago area soaring groups, I maintain
a website for the ChicagoLand Glider Council that may be of some
interest:

www.ChicagoLandGliderCouncil.com

The pictorial map is a good idea...I will work on it.

Curt Lewis - 95
Genesis 2

Old February 2nd 05, 04:48 AM
Nyal Williams

A US map, magnifiable by regions/states, would be an
excellent item for the SSA website. That might make
it easier for potential pilots to find a site. It
should include both clubs and FBOs.

?

It took me a long time to find gliding clubs in Poland
and then it

was
difficult to determine how far they where from my
hotel (excellent
list of world clubs at

http://www.esgc.co.uk/home.asp?start....co.uk/clublin
ks.asp?country=poland

Old February 7th 05, 08:49 AM
Jack

Robert Sharpe wrote:

[....]

I want to fly in Chicago shortly and the Soaring Society of America
list 8 clubs in IL. I will have to determine the address of each club
and find them on a map related to where I am staying. This takes time
and I am sure that many people would have done this before.

I dont mind doing this once if the data that I find helps other
people, and therefore I can use data that other people have found.

If anyone knows of such maps, I would be very greatful.

Until SSA provides this service:

1) Get addresses from SSA site, he

http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp?

Where I found the following in the Chicago area
(searching on "Illinois"):

Hampshire, IL
Sky Soaring, Inc.
http://www.skysoaring.com/
----------------------------------

Hinckley, IL
Windy City Soaring Association
http://www.windycitysoaring.org/
[click on "Map & Directions"]
----------------------------------

Minooka, IL
Chicago Glider Club
http://aerotow.evl.uic.edu/cgc/index.html
[aero map link on page]
----------------------------------

2) Plug address or nearby crossing streets into
any of several map sites:

http://www.mapquest.com/
http://maps.yahoo.com/
http://www.mapblast.com/

for driving directions, and compare using your hotel
address as the starting point. You'll get detailed
instructions and distances.

I don't know which soaring site you'll find is closest to your hotel,
but do consider coming out to visit and fly with us at WCSA (Windy City
Soaring Association). Even if you drive a few more miles, I'm confidant
you'll enjoy the experience -- and we look forward to meeting and flying
with you.

Jack