A reeeeealllllllly expensive busted canopy

Old February 8th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

Default A reeeeealllllllly expensive busted canopy

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20396

Old February 8th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn

Stewart Kissel wrote:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20396

Seven hours later...
"Why don't we cut him out with an oily chainsaw?"
"Sounds great, let's do it!"

Shawn
Old February 8th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn

Shawn wrote:
Stewart Kissel wrote:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20396

Seven hours later...
"Why don't we cut him out with an oily chainsaw?"
"Sounds great, let's do it!"

Oops, my bad, *only* five hours.

Shawn
Old February 8th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 7, 11:27 pm, Shawn
wrote:
Shawn wrote:
Stewart Kissel wrote:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20396

Seven hours later...
"Why don't we cut him out with an oily chainsaw?"
"Sounds great, let's do it!"

Oops, my bad, *only* five hours.

Shawn

Maybe the Air Force can save half of that $180,000 by installing the
new one themselves?

Old February 8th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marian Aldenhövel

Hi,

Maybe the Air Force can save half of that $180,000 by installing the
new one themselves?

Maybe they did and that's why it got stuck in the first place.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
Old February 8th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

[apologies if double-posted - google seemed to lose the first try]

http://www.f-16.net/news_article1815.html

They must've given up on a factory canopy and ordered a free-blown
replacement from Todd's:

Initial replacement estimates for the canopy were
quoted at $182,000, but it now appears that it will
only cost approximately $83,000.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Old February 12th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

The pictures show scratches on the fuselage from "Canopy Glass". This
is a glass canopy? I find that very hard to believe.

Look at how thick the canopy is. I suppose that makes sense as the
plane can fly something like Mach 2.

Why are the firemen dressed like they are going to the moon? SOP?

Old February 12th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

Why are the firemen dressed like they are going to the moon? SOP?
My guess: With the canopy jammed, they cant safety the ejection seat
and they think the kool silver suits will save them it they hit
something important and the canopy ejects followed by the rocket
powered ejection seat.

Old February 12th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone

At 02:54 12 February 2007, Todd wrote:
Why are the firemen dressed like they are going to
the moon? SOP?

My guess: With the canopy jammed, they cant safety
the ejection seat
and they think the kool silver suits will save them
it they hit
something important and the canopy ejects followed
by the rocket
powered ejection seat.

I think the kool silver suits is what firemen wear.
Obviously the old trick of freezing the canopy with
CO2 and giving it a tap with the axe does not work
anymore.

Canopy Closing Problem [email protected] Soaring 4 October 12th 05 05:52 AM
Seeking canopy covers for V2C [email protected] Soaring 3 September 28th 05 03:51 AM
Duo Discus canopy problems David Starer Soaring 4 June 20th 04 11:09 PM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM
Redundant canopy latching John Soaring 5 March 16th 04 12:50 PM