life/accident insurance in Experimental category gliders

Old January 19th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phillip LaBerge

Default life/accident insurance in Experimental category gliders

Dear All,
I just had a rude shock when checking my life insurance that I carry
expressly for flying light airplanes. I am not covered while flying my
ASW-20 because it is in the Experimental Category. The intent of the
restriction is to deny covereage to pilots flying homebuilt aircraft.
The fact that our ASW-20s are licensed in Germany, are production
aircraft, not amateur built aircraft, fell on deaf ears. No coverage
for Experimental aircraft and that includes a blanket restriction on
all categories of Experimental aircraft....research and development
(put winglets on your Standard Airworthiness category glider and you
become Experimental/ Research and Development ) airshow-exhibition
category, amateur built category, etc.etc.
Anyone else out there have this same experience with their insurance?
You can get up to $200K of accidental death and dismemberment
insurance from the AOPA if you are a member and it does not restrict
us from flying Experimental aircraft or gliders, but it does restrict
us from doing any commercial flying.So if you are flight instructing
in the back seat of a Blanik, you are NOT covered.
Phillip LaBerge
Old January 19th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Cant

That restriction is pretty standard on insurance policies.
EAA does have a scheme that covers all Experimentals,
I believe it only offers $100K AD+D. Perhaps you could
buy two policies ?

FAA does not approve commercial use of Experimentals
[which makes life awkward for rentals from FBOs] though
this is not universally enforced - but what an insurance
company would say in the event of a claim is unknown.
Best to restrict your instruction to certified two-seaters
if you can.

An affordable new certified two-seater would be a blessing.

Ian

Old January 19th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M POE

On Jan 19, 8:55 am, Phillip LaBerge wrote:
[...]

Hi Phillip - I have a $1MM policy with AIG American General - got it
thru an aviation broker two years ago - disclosed the experimental air
racing - exhibition - what all that meant for gliders- that it is not
a homebuilt (ASW-20B).....my premium is about $900 per year ( healthy
don't smoke 37 years old)..this is probably 30% more than if no flying
disclosed.

Being a tow pilot however would have sent the premium up 1000% - up
there with aerobatics and reno air racing..

From what I remember the agent telling me - any exclusions like this
are usually for first two years after which you could become an
astronaut and die in space and you'd still be covered.
Old January 20th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Jan 19, 6:55*am, Phillip LaBerge wrote:
Dear All,
I just had a rude shock when checking my life insurance that I carry
expressly for flying light airplanes. I am not covered while flying my
ASW-20 because it is in the Experimental Category.

Hi Phillip, how are you? I had this same problem when purchasing non-
owners (renters) insurance through Avemco. I didn't notice the
exclusion for experimental aircraft until someone mentioned it on this
forum and I checked. That rules out most rental aircraft, and my
father's Ventus that I do most of my flying in. So I cancelled the
policy and switched to Costello. His insurer (AIG) had no such
restriction, gave me the hull and liability coverage I wanted, and was
maybe only $50 more/yr.

Also worth noting, I filed a small claim with them last year for some
minor damage due to a landout. It was handled professionally, and
paid in full, with no deductible. I was worried about what the renewal
would cost me for 2008, given the claim, but they actually LOWERED my
premium $100 this year. Things may be different for commercial/CFIG
insurance, but as you could guess, I am quite happy with how Costello/
AIG has treated me.

Matt (Jr)
Old January 21st 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 19, 7:55*am, Phillip LaBerge wrote:
Dear All,
I just had a rude shock when checking my life insurance that I carry
expressly for flying light airplanes. I am not covered while flying my
ASW-20 because it is in the Experimental Category.

I became aware of this many years ago when I was involved in
experimental flight test. I have mentioned it several times on this
forum in the hope that people would check if they had the coverage
they thought they had. It's no problem getting hull and liability
insurance. The issue relates to personal life insurance.

Andy
Old January 22nd 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bditon

On Jan 19, 9:55*am, Phillip LaBerge wrote:
[...]

M Poe asked me to post information that may be helpful. I assisted him
a couple of years ago with his policy. I may also help you with
obtaining life insurance with no exclusions at standard rates or
better. We specialized in helping pilots and know which companies are
best for each type of risk. Most insurance agents don't have the
knowledge and resources to place you with the right carrier. Contact
me at 1-866-365-6558 or email to get a quote.
Bob Deighton