The joys of the USA OLC and Mifflin County, a Canadian perspective

Old March 22nd 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The joys of the USA OLC and Mifflin County, a Canadian perspective

The good thing about the 'new' OLC rules for the USA contest, that
being Canadians now claim to the USA contest for USA flights (in prior
years we could claim USA flights within our own OLC contest, treating
North America as one space).... is that we now regularly check the USA
contest to see how our buddies are doing over the winter in Florida or
Arizona or wherever.

The bad thing about the 'new' OLC USA is that we are exposed to the
monster flights as soon as they get logged. Even in the depths of
Canadian winter.

Last weekend, out of Mifflin County Airport, Baudouin Litt flew 1290
KM.

And it was a 10 hour flight starting at 7:28 am.

This means Brian Glick dragged his sorry bum out bed real early to
launch him. This takes some kind of dedication, since the 'club' at
Mifflin consists of just Brian and Butch and Quill.

He says it's too bad Baudoin didn't put on water and avoid some of the
turbulence.

Now it's just that more miserable waiting for our snow to melt so we
can tow down to Mifflin for the end of April and early May and be
treated like kings by the Mifflin County club..

And you guys in New Jersey p**s us off as well!

Come on!

705KM in New Jersey in March!!!!

and many more out of there I can't mention?

Arizona! Shape up!

But seriously, thanks for showing us that hope "springs" eternal, and
the good weather is near! Congratulations!

Old March 22nd 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just to rub a little salt in the wounds... I'm losing exact count, but
I think we've had 500K or better flights on something like 6 of the
last 8 days out of Blairstown, NJ. It's becoming a bit like the movie
Groundhog Day - each morning I get up to do the weather for the club,
and it's the same: Winds NW at 15-20, 5-7kt thermals to 6,000 with Cu,
some OD and snow squalls to dodge, blah, blah, blah. Boring. :-))

Special mention to Bob (Iron Man) Templin for completing at least 3 FAI
triangles over 500K in the last week or so despite some challenging
conditions. Those of you who know Bob will appreciate just how cold
it's been during these long flights when I tell you that he's actually
taken to wearing 2 cotton work shirts instead of the customary one.
With temperatures at altitude approaching 0F, he had to break out the
extreme weather gear.

Erik Mann (P3)

Old March 22nd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 15:48 22 March 2006, wrote:

Arizona! Shape up!

I second the congratulations to those great flights.
I only wish we had workable ridges out here in Arizona!)
We are trying though I saw a couple of 500k's last
weekend and I should have my plane back next weekend
!) yeehaa!

Old March 22nd 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bring on global warming !

Old March 22nd 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I heard on the TV last evening some scientist that said that the
conditions were right for another El Nino weather pattern which would
turn us drier in the south and southeast USA for the next few years.
Last time that happened we had bodacious weather and soaring.

Larry "zero one"

"Flaps negative, stick forward!"

"toad" wrote in message
oups.com:

Bring on global warming !

Old March 22nd 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another good one is THINK POSITIVE, FLAPS NEGATIVE

Old March 23rd 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If it's the same scientist who got time in Oz last week he was actually
predicting a La Nina event - the opposite of El Nino. Wet for us and
the water shortages we've been having for California. Good for your
soaring, not so great for us. It was given as the reason for the recent
group of late cyclones in North Queensland.

GC

01-- Zero One wrote:
I heard on the TV last evening some scientist that said that the
conditions were right for another El Nino weather pattern which would
turn us drier in the south and southeast USA for the next few years.
Last time that happened we had bodacious weather and soaring.

Larry “zero one”

“Flaps negative, stick forward!”

"toad" wrote in message
oups.com: