Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Old January 14th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Howdy,

I'm lucky to have found a lot nearby that has pretty much everything I
want, including 2600 ft. of turf runway. This whole thing has been
carved out of the bush in the past 6 months. Great fishing is just a
stretch of the legs away, and while it is awfully rural, it isn't that
far away from a lovely metropolitain city or the beach.

There is only 5 lots on this airstrip vith varying acreage. One end of
it faces a lake. (Good, not flying directly over anyones house) The
other end is purpendicular to a country road with a small trailer and a
large piece of acreage on the other side. It isn't on the current
sectional. I've chatted briefly with the fellow who built it. There is
only his house on it at this time, and he doesn't have an aircraft
based there. There is no obvious evidence that an aircraft has ever
operated from it. There is a rather large sign aftertising the lots as
"airpark" lots on this little country road, so I imagine the fellar
across the street has at least some understanding of what this large
field is intended for.

However there are a few things burning a hole in the back of my mind
preventing the checkbook from flowing forth. City state and federal
ordinances for one. What constitutes legitimacy for an airpark? I've
heard some horror stories about litigation between the state and
private airstrips. I'm awfully concerned that 5 lots is not enough to
make a good show and Bubba's courthouse-and-saloon.

I'm thinking I need to hire a paralegal to look up any applicable laws
and precedent before buying. I also was thinking of knocking on some
neighbors doors and get an idea what the community thinks about it. I
will of course wear my hip-waders and a cow bell lest I get shot for
rustlin'.

Anybody been through this? Advice?
-Matt

Old January 14th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, " said:
However there are a few things burning a hole in the back of my mind
preventing the checkbook from flowing forth. City state and federal
ordinances for one. What constitutes legitimacy for an airpark? I've
heard some horror stories about litigation between the state and
private airstrips. I'm awfully concerned that 5 lots is not enough to
make a good show and Bubba's courthouse-and-saloon.

I'm thinking I need to hire a paralegal to look up any applicable laws
and precedent before buying. I also was thinking of knocking on some

Considering what is at risk here, maybe you should spring for a real
lawyer?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Can't get out of 'vi'? Common problem. Don't worry, I'm here to help. Just
Old January 14th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

In my (many?, all?, most?, some?) area, the local zoning laws govern where
you can put an airstrip. You need to check with your county to see if they
have rules on the subject, and what those rules are.

Also, if I was spending a premium to get an airfield lot, I'd make sure the
airstrip can't be sold out from under me.

KB

oups.com...

Old January 15th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
In my (many?, all?, most?, some?) area, the local zoning laws govern where
you can put an airstrip. You need to check with your county to see if
they have rules on the subject, and what those rules are.

Also, if I was spending a premium to get an airfield lot, I'd make sure
the airstrip can't be sold out from under me.

Also - How is the drainage - will it turn to mud in the spring? Snow removal
/ mowing - who and how much will it cost. I assume the lots are buildable
(perk OK for a septic and all that stuff). Utilities? Easemenets to get back
to your lot (and to the strip)? Deed restrictions on what you can / can't
build /do?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old January 15th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
oups.com...
However there are a few things burning a hole in the back of my mind
preventing the checkbook from flowing forth. City state and federal
ordinances for one. What constitutes legitimacy for an airpark? I've
heard some horror stories about litigation between the state and
private airstrips. I'm awfully concerned that 5 lots is not enough to
make a good show and Bubba's courthouse-and-saloon.

I'm thinking I need to hire a paralegal to look up any applicable laws
and precedent before buying. I also was thinking of knocking on some
neighbors doors and get an idea what the community thinks about it. I
will of course wear my hip-waders and a cow bell lest I get shot for
rustlin'.

The covenants are absolutely critical. The airstrip must be dedicated so
that A) Someone can't sell it after all of the "airstrip" lots are sold, and B)
Some landowner can't (for example) throw up a fence across it. (I have seen
and/or heard of both of these things happening)

* Who pays for maintenance?
*Who gets sued when (for example) someone lands, hits a pothole and crashes?
*As already mentioned, a check of local land-use restrictions is in order to be
sure that the airstrip is compliant.

Vaughn

Old January 15th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Vaughn Simon wrote:
wrote in message
The covenants are absolutely critical. The airstrip must be dedicated so
that A) Someone can't sell it after all of the "airstrip" lots are sold, and B)
Some landowner can't (for example) throw up a fence across it. (I have seen
and/or heard of both of these things happening)

* Who pays for maintenance?
*Who gets sued when (for example) someone lands, hits a pothole and crashes?
*As already mentioned, a check of local land-use restrictions is in order to be
sure that the airstrip is compliant.

Although I don't live on an airpark my plane does. Our airpark is set
up such that each home owner owns a fraction of the runway. There is a
community associate that all the owners belong to and they manage the
airpark. The fuel pump pretty much pays for the operation but we just
recently accepted state money to do some improvements (never took any
federal money though). We've paved so we don't have much drainage to
worry about but we do have to resurface every so many years.

-Robert

Old January 15th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:54 PM

Posted To: rec.aviation.owning

Conversation: Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Subject: Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Howdy,

I'm lucky to have found a lot nearby that has pretty much everything I

want, including 2600 ft. of turf runway. This whole thing has been

carved out of the bush in the past 6 months. Great fishing is just a

stretch of the legs away, and while it is awfully rural, it isn't that

far away from a lovely metropolitain city or the beach.

Having just purchased a lot on Gunderson's Airpark in Owasso, Oklahoma
(O38) I suggest you take the earlier advice and talk to a knowledgeable
attorney. In the meantime, here are some things to think about:

* There probably should be a homeowners association to buffer
the individual homeowners from some of the liabilities.

* If the airport is privately owned then the homeowners
association may need first-rights to prevent sale to some non-aviation
type buyer.

* If the airport is sod then the substructure most likely will
be hard clay or some other type of soil that does not perk-test well.
That means you will be looking at a septic system that treats your waste
and then distributes the gray-water through a sprinkler system. Figure
on adding $5 to $8 K to your home building costs.

* In most areas, the county / parish planning board must approve
the platted land description. (This isn't easy so don't put your money
down until that approval is obtained.)

We put a deposit down on our lot 2 years before we could legally close -
the planning commission, the utility companies, and the local residents
all had to be satisfied before we would agree to buy the property. And
this is an expansion of a pre-existing residential airpark.

Best advice I can think of is - don't get in a hurry, make sure your
deposits are refunded if the developer can't close, and find a good
attorney who will help you through the entire process. $500 for an
attorney is cheap when you are looking at $50 K or more for good
residential airpark building lots.

Old January 15th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article
,
"Vaughn Simon" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I also know of examples of the above.

I live on an airpark and LOVE it! I did, however (along with my wife)
set up a number of critical checklist items:

1. Property owners must own the airstrip.
2. Sewer and water system.
3. Lights for night ops.
4. Close to civilization. (Who wants to drive an hour to get a can of
paint or a loaf of bread?)
5. No state income taxes.
6. State homestead law.
7. Reasonable ground access. (You still have to move in the heavy/bulky
stuff.)
8. Some kind of architectural planning. (You could end up in a dump.)
9. near community colleges. (for wife's interests)
10. Near beaches. (Both of us)
11. A friendly community.
12. A community big enough to put down the "rules Nazis" and the slobs.
13. Big enough to protect itself from the local Philistines who hate
airplanes.

Old January 15th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

It doesnt matter much if the runway is on the sectional. What matters
is:
1. Who owns it
2. Who controls it
3. Who pays for it
4. Who uses it
5. Who doesn't want it

There are probably zoning laws. Is it allowed by zoning? Is there a
written arrangement for it's ownership and control? Five lots is not
many, but I have seen ones operate with fewer. How long has it been
there? Ultimately, you won't know for sure, I suspect. The only ones
that are "for sure" (is anything for sure?) are ones that have been
there a long time and are supported by many of the local home owners
who are active flyers. What seems to do these airparks in more than
anything is disuse.

Crested Butte has a local airport that is private, but public use
allowed. It was originally built to be part of a subdivision. The local
landowners dont want it and they are trying to shut it down. There are
many other similar stories. If there were several landowners that used
it and wanted it, it would be much more likely to stay open.

The one up at Red Feather Lakes is closed now (I think). It was the
last remaining posession of the developer. Not a single lot owner who
used it. Only about two pilots ever landed there in the last year. It
was on and off the sectional over the years. It was for sale for a
while. I am not sure what happened to the land. It might even still be
there.

Old January 15th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Sounds COOL! Where are you?

Jer/ in Colorado

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article
,
"Vaughn Simon" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer at frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/