It's a free market

Old December 19th 03, 05:21 PM
ArtKramr

Default It's a free market

Subject: Thought for Today A car company can move its factories to Mexico
and claim it's a free market.

A toy company can out-source to a Chinese subcontractor and claim it's a
free market.

A major bank can incorporate in Bermuda to avoid taxes and claim it's a
free
market.

BUT, heaven help the elderly who dare to buy their prescription drugs
from a
Canadian pharmacy.

That's just so un-American!

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old December 20th 03, 02:21 AM
Leslie Swartz

Jeeze, Art, you are incredibly dense on virtually all topics beyond what
happened in your particular squadron in WWII (and even there you have
difficulties).

Let's try "as a result of losing the ability to segment their markets and
cross-subsidize new products, Pfizer is forced to slash R&D, and move
production to India" and see what that gets you.

For "the greatest generation," you cranky grampas (including my father in
law) can now be some pretty damn selfish SOBs.

Maybe you always were, but winning WWII tended to cover your sins in glory .
.. .

Yep, thanks a mint for keeping France "free for democracy." If your
grandchildren knew what your entitlement mentality was going to cost them,
we would have preferred maybe the French learn German . . .

Steve Swartz

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Subject: Thought for Today A car company can move its factories to

Mexico

Old December 20th 03, 03:01 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: It's a free market

Old December 20th 03, 05:23 AM
Mike Marron

"Jim Baker" wrote:
"ArtKramr" wrote:
"Leslie Swartz" wrote:

[...]

LOL! Arts answer to anything critical of his selfserving opinions is
PLONK!! What a case.

Indeed. First he'll trot out his trademark "PLONK" response, but then
just a few hours later he'll turn around and respond to that person
whom he claims he just "plonked." Truth be known, Kramer lacks the
self-discipline required to "plonk" anyone and reads every_single_post
on this newsgroup INCLUDING the postings from all those whom he
claims are in his mythical "killfile." And when nobody else will
support his self-serving opinions, being the bald-faced liar that he
is he'll even stoop so low as to create a fictitious person such as
"Autocollimator" so as to publically support himself and his wacko,
self-serving opinions. Pathetic.

Old December 20th 03, 11:29 AM
Cub Driver

For "the greatest generation," you cranky grampas (including my father in
law) can now be some pretty damn selfish SOBs.

The Wall Street Journal calls us Greedy Geezers

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 20th 03, 12:48 PM
John Burson

Sure, you can get all your drugs off shore. Just ask yourself where those
drugs were developed. The answer is about 95% in the US of A. So, go to
Canada and kill the golden goose.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old December 21st 03, 12:44 AM
vincent p. norris

Pfizer is forced to slash R&D,

Can you tell us what percentage of revenues Pfizer spends on R&D?

vince norris
Old December 21st 03, 02:02 PM
tscottme

vincent p. norris wrote in message
Pfizer is forced to slash R&D,

Can you tell us what percentage of revenues Pfizer spends on R&D?

vince norris

http://www.phrma.org/issues/researchdev/

Research & Development: Overview

In 2002, PhRMA member companies invested an estimated $32 billion on
research to develop new treatments for diseases - an estimated 18.2
percent of domestic sales on R&D - a higher R&D to sales ratio than any
other U.S. industry.

--

Scott
--------

Old December 24th 03, 01:06 AM
vincent p. norris

It might be quite enlightening to know that R&D budget
as a pecentage of their advertising and lobbying budgets.

I've been retired for almost ten years, but before I retired, I did a
lot of research on drug marketing. Prime sources of information are
the various investigations of the drug industry conducted by the U.S.
Congress. One especially rich source is "Competitive Problems in the
Drug Industry," an investigation that went on for 20 or 30 years and
produced about a five-foot shelf of documents.

I believe it was in there that it was reported that the top eleven
drug firms spent six percent of sales on research. But they spent 24
percent, four times as much, on advertising and promotion.Only one
percent was spent on quality control.

Most people don't realize that many of the drugs sold under the brand
names of the big firms are in fact manufactured by small "generic"
drug manufacturers like Mylan Pharmaceuticals and Barr Labs.

"Tscottme" reported that:

"In 2002, PhRMA member companies invested an estimated $32 billion on
research to develop new treatments for diseases - an estimated 18.2
percent of domestic sales on R&D - a higher R&D to sales ratio than
any other U.S. industry."

However, I would not trust any such statement by the drug
manufacturers. They have lied to us, and to MDs, so many times in the
past, they have little credibility with anyone who knows their record.

But even if they did spend $32 billion on research, a lot of that was
on finding miniscule "improvements" on existing drugs that would
enable them to extend patent life and charge higher prices. (This is
not my personal opinion, it was the testimony of scientists before the
Congressional comittees.)

Further, $32 billion spent on research is "chickenfeed" if their
profits *after spending that* are ten or fifteen times as much. Year
after year, the drug company are the most profitable, or the second
most profitable, firms in the United States.

vince norris