Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old March 11th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Dan wrote in
:

On Mar 10, 10:47 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
If Joe tries first to speak spanish (or german, or french, or...
etc) even if he fails
misserably, that will be seen as an ice breaker and he'll be able
to continue
in english if needed. Most europeans speak decent english in turist
cities, and
a lot even in more remote places.

When I travel abroad and my size and demeanor label me as an American
(that's tall, not wide).

As soon as I begin speaking French, the barriers dissolve and the
welcomes begin.

It's sad, in a way, but understandable. I've silently witnessed the
"Tourists" coming in and acting like asses.

I think if we stop all tourism departing from NY we'll solve 75% of
the problem.

Nah, americans are as amateurs compared to the Brits. They are, hands
donw, far and away, the worst tourists who ever lived. Americans ma be a
bit clueless, but they're actually ( and I'm generalising here) abit
more in awe of local culture even if they don;t like it. The brits will
throw a union jack over whatever it is they find, rename it and start
serving fish and chips. They're currently on a "**** over france" binge.
Their med resorts are simply appaling. I wandered into one in Corfu a
few years ago and it had to be seen to be believed. The Greeks wisely
tiled every public place in the town (Kavos) so they could hose them
down after they were finished.

Bertie

Bertie
Old March 11th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 11, 11:01 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dan wrote :

[...]

LOL.. now that's funny.

Read Daniel Boorstin's "The Image" and you'll never be the same again.
Absolutely ravages the "tourist" mentality (among so many other
things).

(Boorstin was former librarian of Congress -- so this isn't kook
pamphlet).

Dan
Old March 11th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dan wrote in
:

On Mar 11, 11:01 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dan wrote
innews:c0b81167-79ba-4aaf-b759-846832052424

@n36g2000hse.googlegroups.c
om:

[...]

I'm never the same from one minute to the next.

Bertie
Old March 11th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2008-03-11, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Nah, americans are as amateurs compared to the Brits. They are, hands
donw, far and away, the worst tourists who ever lived.

Not this one. I personally try to avoid all the British ghettos in
holiday resorts.

I'd also say the Germans are one step worse. There's a whole lot of hand
wringing over here about binge drinking. I saw the Germans on vacation
in Palma de Mallorca last year. They make the British look like amateurs
when it comes to binge drinking!

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old March 11th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dylan Smith wrote in
:

On 2008-03-11, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Nah, americans are as amateurs compared to the Brits. They are, hands
donw, far and away, the worst tourists who ever lived.

Not this one. I personally try to avoid all the British ghettos in
holiday resorts.

I'd also say the Germans are one step worse.

No, they aren't.

There's a whole lot of hand
wringing over here about binge drinking. I saw the Germans on vacation
in Palma de Mallorca last year. They make the British look like

amateurs
when it comes to binge drinking!

I get to Germany and the Uk quite a lot. No comparison.
i know not all brits do this, but you only have to look at beeny-dawm"
to see who the champions are.

Bertie
Old March 12th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
dave hillstrom

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:56:28 +0000 (UTC), Dylan Smith

On 2008-03-09, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Is that a real pint or a short pint?

WTF is a short pint?

Presumably a 16oz pint, as opposed to the 20oz Imperial pint.

bottom line; english beers are LESS alcoholic per unit volume than
american beers. period.

--
dave hillstrom mhm15x4 zrbj

This space for rent.
Old March 12th 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
WingFlaps

On 2008-03-09, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Is that a real pint or a short pint?

WTF is a short pint?

Presumably a 16oz pint, as opposed to the 20oz Imperial pint.

bottom line; english beers are LESS alcoholic per unit volume than
american beers. *period.

If you are only interested in alcohol and getting drunk, that may be
an important, albeit not always correct, consideration. More adult
beer drinkers are looking for taste. Your period is getting the bitter
of you.

Cheers

Old March 12th 08, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

dave hillstrom wrote in
news

On 2008-03-09, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Is that a real pint or a short pint?

WTF is a short pint?

Presumably a 16oz pint, as opposed to the 20oz Imperial pint.

bottom line; english beers are LESS alcoholic per unit volume than
american beers. period.

Nope. most are higher alcoho content per volume, though they vary wildly.
Their real beers will blow the back of your head off and leave you feeling
pretty ****ty the next day, too. As you can see, some of them (McEwans,
which tastes awful) are very potent indeed.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alco...ol_info1.shtml

Bertie
Old March 12th 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Aratzio

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:59:39 -0400, in
alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk, dave hillstrom
bloviated:

On 2008-03-09, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Is that a real pint or a short pint?

WTF is a short pint?

Presumably a 16oz pint, as opposed to the 20oz Imperial pint.

bottom line; english beers are LESS alcoholic per unit volume than
american beers. period.

How about belgian doppel & tripel ales?
Old March 12th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Dylan Smith

On 2008-03-12, dave hillstrom wrote:
Presumably a 16oz pint, as opposed to the 20oz Imperial pint.

bottom line; english beers are LESS alcoholic per unit volume than
american beers. period.

They are? They vary quite widely in strength from around 3% for a mild,
and near 7% for 'strong ale'. There are one or two outliers at about 9%.
Beers in the US range from around 3.2% to around 5.5% for the mass
produced stuff, and generally around 5%-7% for some of the smaller
breweries outputs. Presumably, there are a couple of 9% outliers too.

In any case, enjoying a beer is seldom about drinking the strongest beer
you can find.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.