Reminder - Dust Devil Dash

Old September 2nd 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Cant[_6_]

Default Reminder - Dust Devil Dash

Saturday September 6th 2014, Tehachapi, CA. Dust Devil Dash, annual
handicapped free distance competition. Vintage, Classic, Fastglass,
Two-seater, Motorglider, all ships welcome. Fun for all levels of X-C
skills. Enjoy the beauty of Western skies over California, Nevada,
Oregon,
Idaho, Utah and Arizona. Registration from 8:00, mandatory pilot safety
brief 10:00 in Ravens Nest restaurant. $5 registration, pay for your own
tow. More info from Mountain Valley airport 661-822-5267 and Ian Cant
661-821-3382 or .

Weather looks pretty good...

Ian

Old September 7th 14, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Ian-
When you get a moment can you give us a report on how the "dust devil dash"
went.
This is a interesting event, and someday I hope to participate.
With regards
Old September 7th 14, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 9:53:58 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Ian-

When you get a moment can you give us a report on how the "dust devil dash"

went.

This is a interesting event, and someday I hope to participate.

With regards

Flights are posted on OLC: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...=2014&c=US&sc=

Check flights from Mountain Valley. Ramy Yanetz made it to Lakeview, Oregon.

Sean Franke
Old September 7th 14, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

A good dash.... 19 landouts.
Kevin Wayt made Burley, Idaho!
Eric Rupp landed at Murphy Hot Springs, Idaho.
Tom Serkowski and Ramy Yanetz landed at Lakeview, Oregon.
Jim
Old September 7th 14, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Glad to hear that there was a good turnout and good flights. One of these years I need to come join you.
Old September 10th 14, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I wonder if anywhere else in the US you get 10-20 pilots and crew to go straight out for distances up to 600 miles (often significantly more road miles) every year for the last 30 years. I was very impressed with the enthusiasm for straight out adventures that so many pilots and their crew shares. And adventures we had! Someone should write an article about it.

Ramy
Old September 10th 14, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

This year was the 52nd (I believe) running of the Kansas Kowbell Klassic. No one has ever gone 600 miles but most of the time pilots dont return home until well into Sunday. Occasionally not until Monday! (The sign of a REAL good flight)
Old September 10th 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:07:32 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I wonder if anywhere else in the US you get 10-20 pilots and crew to go straight out for distances up to 600 miles (often significantly more road miles) every year for the last 30 years. I was very impressed with the enthusiasm for straight out adventures that so many pilots and their crew shares. And adventures we had! Someone should write an article about it. Ramy

Aren't you "someone", Ramy? :-) Write away!

The Kowbell Klassic started in 1962. My longest flight was 552 miles in 2012. And I set a new low for my shortest flight this year, at 21.5 miles. Most Winner's Tales show up in our club newsletter. Some have made it to SOARING.

One that made it to SOARING involved a flat tire on the trailer, alternator on the crew car died, a kamakazie duck taking off the right side rear view mirror of the crew car and sending it into the back seat, right in front of the navigator's face, driving at night with the headlights off because the battery was too weak to run the lights and the spark plugs, and more.

There have been fuselages rolled out of the trailer onto a freeway on-ramp at night without a scratch, trailers that have have BOTH tires blow out at different times, crew cars that have boiled over but the crew tells the pilot "Keep going. I will deal with the car. You fly the plane!" Having to give up on the thermal because the crop duster was getting too close when he did his turns at the end of the field he was spraying. Complete gliders being carried to the edge of the field by the pilot and a stong farm kid.

And there have been uneventful trips to other airports that seem to be abandonded.

It was so much more adventure before cell phones came about. When stopped to call in and see if the pilot had landed, two locals drive up.
"What you got in the trailer?"
"Nothing."
"Well, what do you normally have in the trailer?"
"My Dad's glider."
"Where you from?"
"Hutchinson."
"What are you doing out here?" (about 150 miles west of Hutchinson)
"Looking for Dad. He said he was heading this direction."
"Well, if we see him, we'll be sure to tell him you are looking for him! Hahaha!" and of they went in a cloud of dust.

Dad won Kowbell that year.

DUST DEVIL DASH Ian Cant Soaring 0 September 4th 10 09:31 PM
DUST DEVIL DASH Ian Cant Soaring 0 September 4th 10 09:12 PM
dust devil dash Philippe Athuil[_2_] Soaring 4 September 16th 09 07:19 PM
So Cal Dust Devil Dash Ian Cant Soaring 0 August 22nd 08 04:24 PM
Dust Devil Dash [US] Ian Cant Soaring 2 September 15th 07 02:50 AM