Cobra Trailer front access door ....

Old September 6th 14, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Cobra Trailer front access door ....

I have a metal top Cobra trailer. The front access door latches just fine but there is a lot of play with the door and I can see wear marks on the side. Also I know of two pilots that have had the doors open and rip off while moving.

Has anyone added a 'safety latch' to the access door?

I am thinking about a hasp latch like this one http://www.stanleyhardware.com/detai...-hasp-s511-250

Or a barrel bolt type like this http://www.grainger.com/product/BATTALION-Heavy-Duty-Barrel-Slide-Bolt-WP157663/_/N-mf6?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4PB93_AS01?$smthumb$

I know that locking the latch will help but I do not know where the key is and I am looking for a more durable solution.

Thanks in advance

Ron Gleason
Old September 6th 14, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

give Cobra the serial number of your trailer, they'll provide you a set of new keys. Tested, it works ;-)

Aldo Cernezzi
Old September 6th 14, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Ron-

I have installed a safety latch on my trailer, as well as some others. It is a good idea, as the latch can pop open, generally ruining the door and often breaking the gas struts and/or their attachment points. I used a simple hasp type, and just secure it with a hitch pin, but you could substitute a padlock.

BTW, there are only a few keys for all Cobra trailers. Williams Soaring generally has the one you need in stock.
Old September 6th 14, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Key Code.

On the inside of the Cobra trailer on the upper right side where the right strut attaches to the clamshell is a triangle piece of aluminum that has 2 numbers (usually.)

The number on the left indicates the strength/force of the clamshell struts.

The number on the right indicates the code for the key to the trailer.
Old September 9th 14, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MQ

If it is a metal top from before 1990 no dice on keys from Cobra...they are right for later trailers though. From what you describe I do not think that keys would help anyway. Install a hasp as you mentioned and Mark suggests.
Old September 9th 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Locking the front door for long trips is a good idea.
I've epoxy'd a piece of wood (paint stirring stick) in a couple of trailers as a speed bump for the latch to go over before it will unlock.
Give that a try?
Jim

Old September 9th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:03:35 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Locking the front door for long trips is a good idea.

I've epoxy'd a piece of wood (paint stirring stick) in a couple of trailers as a speed bump for the latch to go over before it will unlock.

Give that a try?

Jim

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:25:56 AM UTC-7, MQ wrote:

If it is a metal top from before 1990 no dice on keys from Cobra...they are right for later trailers though. From what you describe I do not think that keys would help anyway. Install a hasp as you mentioned and Mark suggests.

I have problems more with the back door on long trips ('80s fiberglass top).
I've taken to running a strap between the latches for the top to keep the
door closed. The lock will work itself out even with the strap over it!

Matt