A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bailout and survival kit

Old May 21st 20, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 5:55:10 AM UTC-7, Luc Job wrote:
For me it really depends on where you fly... The Nambia desert isn't the same as the Alps where SAR is available within minutes... As soon as they are aware of an emergency.

What is my absolute minimum to carry in my pockets is a knife and the loudest whistle you can find.

Even in the Alps the cellular coverage is doubtful... And I'm still using the phone to fly, so it's not on me... But it's quite likely that anywhere in the mountains some ears will be in range of a good whistle.

I learned this a long time ago, a friend of mine spend 3 days in the debris of his glider, with both legs broken, drowned into a thick fog layer that formed from wet maritime air flowing through the coast... On final glide, when he was able to notice that he was too far down the long valley after the pass to return and crashed into the trees... Even the ELT was broken at impact...

SAR operations were impaired by the fog and could only take place on ground and started the same day at the right place... approximately.

With a whistle, he would have been found less than 1 hour after the beginning of the operation... They found him by chance, going down to stop the search... He fully recovered and is still flying, not without a whistle...

A whistle is good for searches on the ground and within a mile of your location - airborne SAR won't hear it, but they can see a signal mirror. Better yet, carry a handheld.

Tom
Old June 2nd 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Two comments about cell phones;

1) Put it in a zippered pocket so if you have to bail out it might go missing when you need it most. Then what use would it be?

2) Put it in "airplane" mode or you might find that the battery is low or dead when you need it most. Then what use would it be?

Old June 2nd 20, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 4:56:53 PM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Two comments about cell phones;

1) Put it in a zippered pocket so if you have to bail out it might go missing when you need it most. Then what use would it be?

2) Put it in "airplane" mode or you might find that the battery is low or dead when you need it most. Then what use would it be?

Better yet, turn it off.
Old August 5th 20, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SS
external usenet poster

Does anybody wear a paracord belt? Big, functional version of a paracord bracelet, with about 30 meters of paracord.
Old August 5th 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Better yet, turn it off.

I understand the "turn it off" suggestion, but if I need to make an emergency call, I don't want to wait for the boot up time.

Old August 5th 20, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 5:18:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Better yet, turn it off.

I understand the "turn it off" suggestion, but if I need to make an emergency call, I don't want to wait for the boot up time.

What you need is a gun, Sig P365 will be just fine, have a cell phone and SPOT. After you get home you will need a stiff drink, rum and coke will do just keep in mind that this can happen again. Bob
Old August 5th 20, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

That's right, Mark.Â* Sometimes my phone boots up in less than a minute,
and sometimes it takes 30 minutes.Â* Don't know why.Â* Anyway, I set mine
to airplane mode before take off.

On 8/5/2020 3:18 PM, wrote:
Better yet, turn it off.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 6th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

"Does anybody wear a paracord belt?"
I'm certain of few things on the topic of bail out and survival, but one thing I am certain of is that if I survive the mid-air and decent under canopy the last thing I expect to be in short supply of is paracord.
-Doug
Old August 6th 20, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 7:35:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
"Does anybody wear a paracord belt?"
I'm certain of few things on the topic of bail out and survival, but one thing I am certain of is that if I survive the mid-air and decent under canopy the last thing I expect to be in short supply of is paracord.
-Doug

I once heard that Strong parachute company would give you a new 'chute if you used their brand in an emergency bailout. Probably in exchange for your story.
If that's true, make sure you have a Knife!!
Scott
Old August 6th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR
external usenet poster

Not paranoid but amsteel (1800 lb breaking strength) with a Ferrocenium buckle (fire starter). And my Leatherman wave and flashlight attached to it. All I need is some of that dehydrated water and I'm all set...