Blanik L13 Windscreen Replacement

Old February 25th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Blanik L13 Windscreen Replacement

On Feb 24, 8:59*pm, harold wrote:
My experience with getting parts from Blanik is they are close
approximations, but they are never exact fits. *They will take a fair
amount of tweeking to get to fit after you get them. *

I once got a L-23 canopy replacement. *It was not formed correctly, it
was not trimmed, and none of the holes were drilled. *It cost me a lot
for my A&P to install. *

The same was true for a L-23 wing section and an L-13 landing gear
trunion. *It took significant work after receiving to get each one of
them to fit.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:18:31 -0800 (PST), Mike125

wrote:
Our club (USA) is looking to replace the broken foremost windscreen on
our L13 and is seeking alternative sources. A search of RAS turned up
very limited info. Aircraft Windscreens Inc in CA was mentioned but I
couldn't find them on the web. The part from LET is $500+. Also, does
anyone with experience with this particular job have tips or tricks?
There are about 80 srews around the frame. That's alot of drilling. I
know we need special bits.

Mike

Another tip on edges.

Several years ago I was in a plastics shop watching the technician
"flame polish" the edges and holes of Plexiglas parts. He was using a
Hydrogen/air torch which he explained was just the right temperature
and didn't discolor the plastic.

He would quickly pass the nearly invisible flame along cut edges
pausing for a second over drilled holes. The result was perfectly
clear and smooth edges and holes with no sign of stress riser cracks.
He said the process virtually eliminated cracking by briefly melting
the plastic.
Old February 25th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

He would quickly pass the nearly invisible flame along cut edges
pausing for a second over drilled holes. *The result was perfectly
clear and smooth edges and holes with no sign of stress riser cracks.
He said the process virtually eliminated cracking by briefly melting
the plastic.

Ahhh, flame annealing, brilliant solution. Practice practice
practice!

-Paul
Old February 25th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When installing windshields on certified aircraft I always drill the
holes one size larger than the hardware. Otherwise the bolts/screws
will cause cracks.
Old February 25th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

yes...I offer them and helped to develop these replacement parts through LP
Aero, we have since have sold a lot of L-13 and now also L-23 Blanik
canopies and canopy parts
please see http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page37.htm
best regards
Tim Mara

Blanik L23 AD tomcatvf51 Soaring 0 February 12th 09 12:52 PM
Jim Weir, Oshkosh windscreen signs? Dave Butler Piloting 7 July 3rd 05 04:27 PM
If you see this in your windscreen... Jay Masino Piloting 6 June 1st 05 02:36 PM
Blanik L-23 Duane Eisenbeiss Soaring 8 April 27th 04 05:53 AM
windscreen pollish/scratch remover centurion_of_evil Rotorcraft 4 October 3rd 03 06:49 AM