Vario beeps, squeeks,and tones

Old February 25th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Vario beeps, squeeks,and tones

Perhaps one of the big suppliers can tackle this.
In addition to listing the features and specifications, I would
really like to 'hear' a utility that allows you to sample the SOUNDS
it makes under assorted conditions. I have a fairly old Cambridge
electronic vario, and I don't like the audio. It works just fine, but
I dislike it enough that I will probably replace it soon. (right after
I get a SPOT!)
Old February 25th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Bange[_2_]

Amen! The "Gizmo" has the nicest tone of the 3 that I have been able to
listen to online. Even though I don't really like the bar graph display,
I'm seriously considering it just for the tone. I can use my Sage for the
needle when I want to look at a vario. Wouldn't it be nice if there were
video of all of 'em online?
Brian

Old February 25th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Field[_3_]

On Feb 25, 6:40*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
Perhaps one of the big suppliers can tackle this.
*In addition to listing the features and specifications, I would
really like to 'hear' a utility that allows you to sample the SOUNDS
it makes under assorted conditions. *I have a fairly old Cambridge
electronic vario, and I don't like the audio. *It works just fine, but
I dislike it enough that I will probably replace it soon. (right after
I get a SPOT!)

Cumulus Soaring Supplies released a couple of videos a while back,
showing the setup, operation and features of the Cambridge and Tasman
vario ranges: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/varios.htm

Although these were only two, the videos were very informative, cheers
Paul!

Of the videos floating round YouTube, quite a few show the panel with
the vario beeping away, the best place to find these would be on this
channel: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...view=favorites

Colin

Old February 26th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

When the L-NAV was the latest thing, I'd suggested to Dave Ellis
that the next generation's audio should be a sample player. Believe
that technology was still a little expensive as the 300 series was
being developed. (we ARE talking about glider pilots)
My first S-NAV replaced a MkIV speed director, which made sounds
like R2D2 on drugs. That had to go!
Have a listen to the audio of as many flight computers as you can,
decide which one you like, buy it, then... Throw the old unit away.
The S- and L-NAVs are available used for a reasonable fee (last one
I bought was $1000 with a GPS NAV 10 and GPS display), and pretty
pleasant to fly with. But the audio tops out at 10 knots, not the best
thing for flying out of Tonopah.
Jim
Old February 26th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

But the audio tops out at 10 knots, not the best
thing for flying out of Tonopah.
Jim

Like you really need audio after 10 kts Jim? Isn't the sound of the
huge kamikaze smile, gnashing of teeth and the evil laughter as you're
watching your wings bow enough Jim?

Vario Ring-Tones Wayne Paul Soaring 9 May 8th 08 09:11 PM
Remember that brown pairs are best suited to tan, greens, beige,brown and other earth tones that are darker in color. Tan colored shoes matchwell with lighter tan, white, beige, blue and other earth tones that arelighter. Black shoes look good when m [email protected] Piloting 0 April 25th 08 09:31 PM
Anyone heard the new NFL Ring tones? [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 2 January 12th 06 03:19 AM
Beeps, squeals and honks. Bill Daniels Soaring 8 March 17th 04 12:26 PM
Marker Beacon Tones Ron Natalie Owning 1 July 4th 03 03:27 PM