Arcus leading the world champs

Old June 27th 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Arcus leading the world champs

Not a surprise that an Arcus is leading the 20m world gliding champs in Finland. I think all except four of the gliders in the 20m class are Arcus's (one of the non-Arcus's is the prototype ASG 32, which is also doing quite well, the others being Duo and DG 1000). Most impressive is that the Arcus T flown by Steve and Howard Jones has won all of the first three days! Go the Jones brothers. (Steve is the owner of Southern Sailplanes, the UK agent for S-H).

If you have an Arcus do join the Arcus Google group and share your experience of this great glider.

Mark Burton, flying an Arcus M at London Gliding Club, UK.

Old June 27th 14, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

they don't call it the Arcus Class for nothing
Old June 29th 14, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

They had to remove engine from ASG32 to stay under 750kg. Some Arcus pilots reported it goes quite well.
Old June 29th 14, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

At 08:55 29 June 2014, krasw wrote:
They had to remove engine from ASG32 to stay under 750kg.

Some Arcus pilots
reported it goes quite well.

You can download IGC files for analysis from he
http://www.wgc2014.fi/results

Rain today in EFRY...

Old June 29th 14, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Sunday, 29 June 2014 09:55:50 UTC+1, krasw wrote:
They had to remove engine from ASG32 to stay under 750kg. Some Arcus pilots reported it goes quite well.

Is there a 750 kg limit?

My Arcus M is 555 kg empty. With two 180 lb pilots, 14 litres of fuel, and 8 kg of water in the fin to adjust the C of G I fly at about 750 kg without additional ballast. There would not be much scope for larger pilots in an Arcus M!

Is the ASG 32 heavier than the Arcus empty, or are the pilots large?

Incidentally, I saw that the wing area of the ASG 32 is exactly the same as the Arcus. I also noticed that the quoted engine power of the ASG 32 at 57 hp is less than that of the Arcus at 68 - I need all of that 68 to take off safely from my club, so a heavier or less powerful glider with the same wing area might need a larger field.

I see that there are 6 Arcus M's in the comp, and 5 Arcus T's - including that flown by the Jones brothers, who have now won all 4 days so far. There is also an Arcus S - no idea what that is, maybe a pure sailplane without motor. Schempp-Hirth also offer an Arcus E using the power installation of the Antares 20E from Lange. According to the tech data that is 60 kg more than the Arcus M empty, so could not have heavy pilots even if it was not subject to a 750 kg weight limit.
Old June 30th 14, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun McLaughlin[_2_]

At 21:50 29 June 2014, waremark wrote:
On Sunday, 29 June 2014 09:55:50 UTC+1, krasw wrote:
They had to remove engine from ASG32 to stay under 750kg. Some Arcus

pilo=
ts reported it goes quite well.

Is there a 750 kg limit?

Hi Mark,

Yes there is a 750kg limit in the 20M class - Sporting Code Section 3,
Annex A, Part 4.2.1.e refers. Also no handicapping applied (unless the
pilot is using manual rudder control due to disability, which would mean
flying a unflapped glider, other rules may apply).

Perhaps the ASG32 will go on a diet once in full production?

Shaun

Old July 13th 14, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Friday, 27 June 2014 18:10:07 UTC+1, waremark wrote:
Not a surprise that an Arcus is leading the 20m world gliding champs in Finland. I think all except four of the gliders in the 20m class are Arcus's (one of the non-Arcus's is the prototype ASG 32, which is also doing quite well, the others being Duo and DG 1000). Most impressive is that the Arcus T flown by Steve and Howard Jones has won all of the first three days! Go the Jones brothers. (Steve is the owner of Southern Sailplanes, the UK agent for S-H).

If you have an Arcus do join the Arcus Google group and share your experience of this great glider.

Mark Burton, flying an Arcus M at London Gliding Club, UK.

By the end of the competition, Steve and Howard Jones had won six of the seven competition days, coming second by a very small margin on the last day - what a stunning result.

I have to admit that for the prototype ASG 32 to come third was also pretty impressive.

As I asked before, if you fly an Arcus do join the Arcus Google Group and share your experience. Thanks

FS: Arcus T [email protected] Soaring 0 February 22nd 13 10:50 PM
Arcus forum on Google John Gonzalez Soaring 1 January 5th 13 03:58 PM
Arcus - first impressions Andreas Maurer Soaring 1 July 7th 09 01:35 PM
[PICTURES] Arcus 1st flight fred Soaring 0 April 8th 09 06:38 PM
2005 FAI World Champs kb43 Aerobatics 0 February 4th 05 11:28 AM