Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight?

Old January 31st 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight?

F. Baum wrote:

"Most Flights" Actually. . DAL and NWA do this also.

I've never had it on a Delta or Northwest flight, only United.
Old January 31st 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

On Jan 31, 7:57*am, "F. Baum" wrote:

The question is why would you want to do this. On most flights ATC is
available on the inflight entertainment system.

Really? What airline does this nowadays? I remember American and
United used to back in the 80's and I loved to follow along in an
atlas with high airways over printed on the maps (hey, it beat what
was showing for a movie 99.4% of the time). But it seems to me
everyone stopped doing that in the late 80's and early 90's.

Nowadays I fly mostly Delta whose audio pickings are slim beyond
reason or Airtran which provides XM radio which isnt bad. I would
love to find a flight that had ATC as an audio choice.

Take care . . .

John
Old January 31st 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

On Jan 31, 8:55*am, "F. Baum" wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:14*am, Ron Natalie wrote:

The question is why would you want to do this. On most flights ATC is
available on the inflight entertainment system. \

"Most flights" Hardly.
United is the only one who does this to my knowledge and ATC-on-9
(officially "from the cockpit") is entirely at the captain's
discretion.

"Most Flights" Actually. . DAL and NWA do this also. On the bigger
equipment they even have a moving map in the cabin so the Sheep can
follow the progress. The cockpit crew has no control of the inflight
entertainment system (Other than telling the cabin crew to shut it
off).

Notwithstanding that, the radio and the GPS stay in the flight bag
for the duration of the flight.

As they should. Ive had two incidents where pax were suspected of
operating a two way device. Both turned out OK but they provided a
distraction that we just dont need.
Frank

Frank,

Was that on Delta or NW overseas flights? I have never seen it on any
domestic flight or on flights to SK in Canada.

Take care . . .

John
Old January 31st 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Jan 31, 8:29 am, B A R R Y wrote:
es330td wrote:
What are the odds I can get away with taking my ICOM radio and
listening to the cockpit?

I fly with mine all the time, but I leave it off while onboard. The
radio fits into my bag better without the antenna. I have used it in
the terminal to listen to ground and clearance delivery.

The only time you'll hear the cockpit is if you're on an aircraft with a
comm feed in the entertainment system. The signal inside the aluminum
tube is nearly nil. Holding the radio up to a window, or using an
external antenna will probably get you in trouble as transceivers are
banned in the cabin on any airline I fly.

If you are a licensed pilot, just think of how stupid you'd look if you
got caught violating an FAA reg. If you're instrument rated, the reg is
something that appears on the written, so you'd look even dumber.

And you will get caught. Think of all the frequency changes you'd
have to input. And in first class the FA has fewer passengers to
watch over. If nothing else, a nervous seatmate would rat you out.

I tried using a portable GPS a few times, the FA's always noticed and
my success rate of being allowed to use it was about 50%.
Old January 31st 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In this post-9/11 world, you'd be lucky not to be arrested just for
having it.

Legally, you can only operate electronics like this with permission from
the airline (the pilot isn't allowed to make the decision). I'm guessing
that in most cases, either the airline hasn't approved the radio, or
the pilot doesn't know either way and tells you no just to be safe.

Which law requires this permission to listen to a radio?
Old January 31st 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Matt Whiting wrote:

Which law requires this permission to listen to a radio?

There is a reg that says the operator can decide what types of electronic
devices to be operated in flight.

There used to be a reg (dating back to the '50s) banning all receivers and
transmitters in the cabin, because of possible interference emitted by the
local oscillator. Last time I went to look for it I couldn't find it.

If you check the airline's policy on electronic devices (most have them
posted somewhere), you're likely to find that there are some devices like
laptops, GPS and CD players permitted in cruise. You'll probably also find
that devices like TVs, AM/FM radios, tranceivers and scanners are never
permitted.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 31st 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Matt Whiting wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
In this post-9/11 world, you'd be lucky not to be arrested just for
having it.

Legally, you can only operate electronics like this with permission from
the airline (the pilot isn't allowed to make the decision). I'm guessing
that in most cases, either the airline hasn't approved the radio, or
the pilot doesn't know either way and tells you no just to be safe.

Which law requires this permission to listen to a radio?

91.21c

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier
operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination
required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that
operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used.
In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the
pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.
Old January 31st 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:31:11 -0600, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
[...]

Commercial airline operations with passengers onboard are part 121 not
91. You want 121.306:

Sec. 121.306 - Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow
the operation of, any portable electronic device on any
U.S.-registered civil aircraft operating under this part.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to --

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the part 119 certificate
holder has determined will not cause interference with the navigation
or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) The determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section
shall be made by that part 119 certificate holder operating the
particular device to be used.
Old January 31st 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
[...]

Then why does 91.21c have this line in it? "In the case of an aircraft
Old January 31st 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
[...]

Some air carrier stuff can be done 91. I can't remember how or why, but
I did fly with a guy who did it in a Convair 880 out of Miami. I'm not
sure if it was a loophole or what, but they did it.

Bertie