Cessna 310 Down in Compton, Calif.

Old April 17th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default Cessna 310 Down in Compton, Calif.

wrote in message ...
On Apr 13, 6:04 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:52 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:

Thankfully, there was no fire.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3190581.story
5 hurt as small plane crashes in Compton
By Richard Winton and Carla Hall, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
April 13, 2008
Five people were injured, four critically, Saturday afternoon when
a twin-engine aircraft crashed nose first into a Compton house and
sliced into the one next door with one of its wings, authorities
said.

The Cessna 310 crashed just before 4 p.m. in the 500 block of West
Cypress Street, said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal
Aviation Administration.

The plane, which was registered in Nevada, was heading from San
Diego to Hawthorne Municipal Airport, Gregor said. It was about a
mile and a half away from Compton/Woodley Airport, a general
aviation field, but he said it was unclear whether the pilot was
trying to make an emergency landing.

Compton Deputy Fire Chief Marcel Melanson said two of the injured
were the plane's occupants and three were on the ground. ...

He and two other people tried to open the door of the badly
damaged house but couldn't get it to budge. They helped the young
woman out a window, and when she said her mother was inside, they
clambered through the window themselves to search for her.

"I saw the pilot, so we got him out," Wyatt said.

Then he spotted one of the residents of the house moving under the
rubble. Several people struggled to move that man out of the home
through a sliding-glass door.

"You could smell the fumes," said Wyatt, his jeans stained with
the blood of the injured whom he helped. ...

So what happens now? Does the homeowner sue
the pilot or the plane owner? Can they?
Remember that old homeowner insurance rider
you could get to cover an airplane falling on your
house? Who pays for that mess?
Ken

My best guess is that the homeowner and his insurance agents will sue
the pilot, the owner, the FBO that last handled the aircraft, the
pilot's last two instructors, the person who did the last annual, the
manufacturers of the airplane, props, engines, and vacuum pump (even
though the pump was working at the time, etc., etc., etc. They will
also blame the airports they took off from and intended to land at,
and try to close them down.

you forgot they should sue Parker because once upon a time they made vacuum pumps, and they paid even though they were
not a contributing factor...

Old April 17th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:05:21 -0700, F. Baum wrote:

You dont actually practice engine out stall recovery in a twin.

Didn't you ever see the joke about Santa's biennial?

- Andrew
Old April 17th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cary

On Apr 16, 12:02*am, Frank Olson
wrote:
Cary wrote:
On Apr 14, 5:57 pm, Frank Olson
wrote:
There are several twin engined aircraft that can't fly on "one mill".
The Cessna 336/337 springs to mind as the best example (in this case).
Some twin engined helicopters are unable to maintain level flight with
one engine out. *The 310 is extremely difficult to fly on one engine
particularly at lower speeds or with gear and flaps down. *The Aerostar
(of which I'm quite familiar) is another challenge to fly on one mill.

I owned a C310B for 6 years and had over 700 hours on that plane. I
had 4 real engine failures in that time and never found the plane
difficult to fly on one engine, or to land at low speed with gear and
flaps down. The plane was very stable and easy to fly on either one or
two engines. Maybe your comment applies to later models of the 310,
but it certainly doesn't apply to the 310B.

Cary Mariash

700 hours and four engine failures... *That equates to about one failure
every 175 hours. *Now that's scary. *I'd be having a serious talk with
your friendly mechanic. *There were two 310's (don't recall the
variants) based at Abbotsford (BC) which accumulated over 2000 hours of
flying time between them in a year and NEVER had one engine failure in
the four years I hung around there. *Gear problems were another matter.
* I never found the 310 "stable" or "easy to fly" on one engine, but
mind you my check pilots/instructors always seemed to favour "killing"
the critical engine. *:-)

Frank,
I don't remember if it was you or someone else I responded to
privately. Publicly I will let you know that the 1st engine failure
(right engine) occurred when the gear on the engine that drive the wet
vacuum pump started to deteriorate. It sent metal into the crank case,
a piece eventually damaging the front main bearing. This led to loss
of oil pressure and loss of prop control. I shut the engine down and
flew home without incident. The other three were related to an engine
rebuild (left engine) where the rebuilder used the wrong main bearing
the first time, did not fit the correct main bearing properly the
second time, and still couldn't fit it properly the third time. This
rebuilder is no longer in business! My plane did not have autopilot
and I spent a lot of time hand flying in IFR, and a lot of time with
an instructor who pulled engines on me all the time. I think all the
practice I had flying single engine made these engine outs non-events.

Cary