ASW-24 Brake questions

Old November 29th 20, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dgtarmichael

Default ASW-24 Brake questions

I'm looking to replace the rotor and pads on our ASW-24 (sn240031) this winter and could use some help from somebody who's done it. The Manual only lists a Cleveland brake assembly of 30-9. The Cleveland catalogue lists parts for an ASW 20, 21, 22, 23 using a wheel assembly of 40-78B with brake assembly 30-9, rotor 164-01700. Wings and Wheels lists a wheel assembly of 40-78B for the ASW-24 but their rotor chart doesn't list aircraft types.
It looks like the pads are the 30-9 Tost or 066-10600 Cleveland part.

Have any of you used the Cleveland or Rapco rotors instead of the Tost product? I have an Aircraft Spruce warehouse down the street and usually pick up via will call. Planning on ordering and inspecting on pick up with the original in hand.
-Doug
W24
Old November 29th 20, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JO

On Sunday, 29 November 2020 at 13:29:18 UTC+11, Dgtarmichael wrote:
I'm looking to replace the rotor and pads on our ASW-24 (sn240031) this winter and could use some help from somebody who's done it. The Manual only lists a Cleveland brake assembly of 30-9. The Cleveland catalogue lists parts for an ASW 20, 21, 22, 23 using a wheel assembly of 40-78B with brake assembly 30-9, rotor 164-01700. Wings and Wheels lists a wheel assembly of 40-78B for the ASW-24 but their rotor chart doesn't list aircraft types.
It looks like the pads are the 30-9 Tost or 066-10600 Cleveland part.

Have any of you used the Cleveland or Rapco rotors instead of the Tost product? I have an Aircraft Spruce warehouse down the street and usually pick up via will call. Planning on ordering and inspecting on pick up with the original in hand.
-Doug
W24

I Have purchased TOST brake parts (not for ASW 24) and it is my belief that the older TOST disk brakes are just Cleveland products sold by TOST.
Old November 29th 20, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 2:21:57 AM UTC-5, JO wrote:
[...]

There is no reason not to use Cleveland parts. They are readily available. I have the Parker catalog, which can be downloaded. Look up there.
UH
Old January 13th 21, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dgtarmichael

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 7:46:28 AM UTC-6, Hank Nixon wrote:
[...]

For future reference:
I ordered from Aircraft Spruce the following and everything fits well and matched the Cleveland parts they replaced. I have not made a test flight yet. RAPCO was a bit less expensive than Cleveland and much less expensive than TOST. All parts are FAA-PMA approved Cleveland replacement parts.
RAPCO brake disc RA164-01700 ($88.75)
RAPCO brake lining RA66-106 ($6.75/EACH need 2. Comes with 3 rivits each)
RAPCO rivit RA105-00200 ($0.17/EACH spares just in case)

Doug
W24

Old January 14th 21, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 5:17:24 PM UTC-5, Dgtarmichael wrote:
[...]

Hey Doug,

What did you use to set the rivets - I believe they are semi-tubular?

P3

Old January 14th 21, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dgtarmichael

[...]

@P3 there is a tool. The traditional one is made by Cleveland, the "Cleveland brake tool". They consist of a small frame and a punch to drive out the rivit and a punch to set the rivit. There are better models out now that use a threaded shaft to slowly press the rivits out and similarly to set the new ones.
I used the RAPCO RA825 about $37.50 at Aircraft Spruce.

Doug
W24
Old January 14th 21, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=10979
Old January 14th 21, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 7:26:31 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

We have the RAPCO tool if you need it. Not expensive and works well.
UH

bleeding brake help Pintlar Home Built 8 November 7th 09 01:41 PM
Ventus 2cx brake BravoCharlie Soaring 38 November 28th 08 05:21 PM
K21 brake parts Stuart Kinnear Soaring 10 June 26th 06 09:54 PM
My squishy brake JFLEISC Owning 0 June 30th 04 01:44 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM