A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider insurance through AOPA... (USA)

Old December 15th 15, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Glider insurance through AOPA... (USA)

All;

I received a quote 20% less than what I had been paying through the SSA insurance program - Any other private owners have this happen, and did you switch?

I have no problems with my current insurance, and Starr Aviation, the underwriter for the AOPA, is new to me. Still 20% is hard to pass up.

Any comments?

aerodyne
Old December 16th 15, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess
external usenet poster

I switched from Costello to LL Johns, also for 20% less. Same coverage. I'm very happy with their service.
Old December 16th 15, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

I recently got four quotes for insurance from PIK West, Avemco, LL John's and Costello. Turns out there are only two underwriters no matter how many quotes you get. Costello was the lowest by over $300 with an AOPA membership.

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 10:48:55 PM UTC-8, Bret Hess wrote:
I switched from Costello to LL Johns, also for 20% less. Same coverage. I'm very happy with their service.

Old December 16th 15, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 8:51:46 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Turns out there are only two underwriters no matter how many quotes you get. Costello was the lowest by over $300 with an AOPA membership.

There are more now: I found this from a 2014 article:

"An explosion of growth in aviation insurance underwriters brought new
entrants to the market over the last four years. International Aerospace
Insurance Services, Berkley Aviation, Allianz Aviation (US), Starr Aviation
and an expansion of Lloyds are some of the newer players."
Old December 16th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Interesting, as in early November I shopped for insurance and was told by the four companies I contacted that there are only two underwriters for glider insurance. I know years ago when shopping for airplane insurance if I contacted too many insurance companies it created problems as they were all going to the same underwriters for the same policy.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 9:40:27 AM UTC-8, Bret Hess wrote:

Old December 16th 15, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo
external usenet poster

I saved about $300/yr switching over from Costello to LL.Johns, and couldn't be happier. When i just went through a total loss claim last month USAIG and LL Johns were incredibly helpful and made the process really easy and painless.
FWIW
Old December 16th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 12:40:27 PM UTC-5, Bret Hess wrote:
Turns out there are only two underwriters no matter how many quotes you get. Costello was the lowest by over $300 with an AOPA membership.

Not clear that all of them write for gliders. I looked into this when I was working with one of the big carriers two years ago and found that most of them were focused on commercial risks (FBOs, Rental fleets, Airports) and not on personal lines (individuals). The others didn't offer coverage on gliders; only piston and turbine aircraft. It's news to me that Starr (aka "AIG North") is covering gliders. That's good news, as some competition never hurts.

Another point though. Several people have asked me to review their existing policies against cheaper quotes from other carriers. In most cases, savings against the SSA plan came at the expense of certain coverages and benefits including things like: reduced rates for storage, any qualified pilot, reducing deductibles, etc. So, for those of you who "saved" by switching are you sure that the policies are 100% identical? The dec pages will show the hull and liability amounts and premiums, but the devil is usually in the details on the above terms...

The best way to determine the real "savings" is to model out some realistic loss scenarios/operating scenarios with a spreadsheet. In some cases the savings in premium were more than offset by increased costs in other areas during periods of inactivity, loaning your glider to a friend, or a claim.

Caveat emptor.

Erik mann
P3
Old December 17th 15, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

One detail in the devils: SSA insurance also covers rentals up to the hull value of your own glider.
Jim

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 2:01:01 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 12:40:27 PM UTC-5, Bret Hess wrote:

Not clear that all of them write for gliders. I looked into this when I was working with one of the big carriers two years ago and found that most of them were focused on commercial risks (FBOs, Rental fleets, Airports) and not on personal lines (individuals). The others didn't offer coverage on gliders; only piston and turbine aircraft. It's news to me that Starr (aka "AIG North") is covering gliders. That's good news, as some competition never hurts.

Another point though. Several people have asked me to review their existing policies against cheaper quotes from other carriers. In most cases, savings against the SSA plan came at the expense of certain coverages and benefits including things like: reduced rates for storage, any qualified pilot, reducing deductibles, etc. So, for those of you who "saved" by switching are you sure that the policies are 100% identical? The dec pages will show the hull and liability amounts and premiums, but the devil is usually in the details on the above terms...

The best way to determine the real "savings" is to model out some realistic loss scenarios/operating scenarios with a spreadsheet. In some cases the savings in premium were more than offset by increased costs in other areas during periods of inactivity, loaning your glider to a friend, or a claim..

Caveat emptor.

Erik mann
P3

Old December 17th 15, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wheaton
external usenet poster

LL Johns also has the rental at no additional cost.
Old December 18th 15, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 6:32:28 PM UTC-8, Wheaton wrote:
LL Johns also has the rental at no additional cost.

Do any of 'em cover loss of use? That seems to be one of the great big downsides of even minor outlanding damage - no glider for 6 months.