C210 fuel tank vents

Old September 26th 03, 05:13 AM
Eric Brown

Default C210 fuel tank vents

I've owned a C210 for about a year now and have noticed that my fuel vents,
and primarily the left one, seem to be leaking a larger amount of fuel at
full tanks than previously. A more experienced C210 owner told me that each
of the wing tip vents has a check valve between the vent outlet and the tank
to prevent fuel leaking through the vent. Sure 'nough, the POH shows one
check valve per vent on the fuel system schematic. The other owner also
said that he removed and cleaned his vents (I guess they get gummed up and
don't seal all the way) and that his leaks were gone. This was about a
month ago and I haven't seem him hanging around the airport or I'd ask him
how he cleaned them. Anyway, I asked my mechanic about this and he told me
that the leaks were normal and that "they all do that" and there's nothing
that can be done.

So I have a former C210 owner telling me one thing and a mechanic telling me
the complete opposite. Does anyone in this newsgroup have any experience w/
C210 fuel vents that may be of some help? What I'm wondering is if this
de-gumming job can be performed by your's truly, since my mechanic doesn't
seem to think it's a problem. I could always just not fill the tanks to
capacity, but I'd prefer much more that if there's a component of my fuel
system that not working like it should, that it somehow be fixed.

Thanks in advance!

Eric Brown, PP-ASEL-IA (out of FFZ)

Old September 26th 03, 02:59 PM
Mike Rapoport

A couple of points. First fuel can leak out with the valves working
properly, the check valves only seal to about 0.2PSI. They have to be able
to pass fuel out the vent to allow for expansion of the fuel as it heats in
the sun. If the valve doesn't seal at all then you will get more leakage.
I have similiar valves on my airplane and if they leak, I get fuel on the
underside of the wing after landing.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 27th 03, 02:59 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Eric Brown" wrote in message

I've owned a C210 for about a year now and have noticed that my fuel

vents,
and primarily the left one, seem to be leaking a larger amount of fuel at
full tanks than previously. A more experienced C210 owner told me that

each

The "larger amount" of leakage is a common problem in the Spring with wide
variations in temperature. If you fill up on a cold day then the fuel will
be prone to leaking when it expands due to heat. I just accept this leakage
because 210s are prone to fuel mismanagement problems if not filled right to
the brim.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

fuel tank plumbing pwm Home Built 18 January 27th 05 04:54 AM
Night bombers interception in Western Europe in 1944 Bernardz Military Aviation 205 July 22nd 04 05:31 PM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM