Attention Deficit Disorder...

Old November 15th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Attention Deficit Disorder...

Has anyone out there been able to get their aviation medical with a
previous diagnosis for ADD or ADHD? What did you have to go through to
get it? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old November 15th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone out there been able to get their aviation medical with a
previous diagnosis for ADD or ADHD? What did you have to go through to
get it? Thanks for sharing your experience!

I don't recall them asking. The doctors are generally on your side.

Old November 15th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

gatt wrote:
wrote in message
I don't recall them asking. The doctors are generally on your side.

It depends on the Dr. Some are, some aren't. It seems that the ones who
only do AME work are best. A good AME knows when to put his hands over
his ears and says "lalalalala, I can't hear you". Think of your AME as
more of a DE than a CFI. The AME is testing you, don't provide more
info than required.

-Robert

Old November 15th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven Barnes

I'm sorry, what'd you say...? g

ups.com...

Old November 15th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

gatt wrote:

I don't recall them asking. The doctors are generally on your side.

My neighbor is an AME.

Bottom line? Answer the questionaire. _IF_ he asks for clarification,
briefly explain the singular condition he's questioning.

Do not volunteer information. Do not be afraid of his silence.
Old November 15th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've has
some students that I'm pretty sure had ADD. There is a positive side to
it. When you are teaching them something they understand is important,
they suck up each and every word. They may be looking around the room
at pictures on the wall at the same time but they hear everything. On
the other hand if you're just wasting time, they'll tune you out pretty
quick.

That's generous, Mr. Gary.

I'm attention deficit. I didn't understand it as such until I met my wife,
who worked in shelters with teenagers and could spot it quickly. That was a
little liberating because it made me understand and change my behavior to
adjust to it.

ADD can become apparent while flying IFR, especially when ATC chatter is
busy. It manifests itself in attention to detail; dialing in 125.5 instead
of 122.5 and forgetting to check the frequency or forgetting to start a
timer. In order to compensate, I've had emphasize the use of checklists and
information organization such as the CRAFT and HAF lists for instrument
flight. Because managing checklists and paperwork in the cockpit adds to my
stress loading, which can amplify ADD, I tend to go over my charts,
checklists, flight planning etc before flying.

The end result is a checklist and preflight planning habit, as well as extra
attention paid to verifying headings, altitudes and frequencies.

Now...what were we talking about? ;

-c

Old November 16th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

How recent and accurate is the ADD diagnosis?
Children can and often are mis-diagnosed.
My son is an example. In second grade he was diagnosed as ADD/ADHD.
Seven years later, at our request, he was re-diagnosed.
The recent diagnosis is Asperger's Disorder.
Two very different psychological conditions with very different
treatments.