IFR Passengers?

Old October 22nd 04, 06:47 PM
Ben Jackson

In article .com,
Brien K. Meehan wrote:

Yeah. They even expect it to be a little bumpier than "clear" air.
They seem more comfortable in mild turbulence in IMC than in VMC. Go
figure.

My own tolerance for turbulence is much higher in the clear than in IMC
or under the hood.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 22nd 04, 10:45 PM
Matt Whiting

Ben Jackson wrote:

In article .com,
Brien K. Meehan wrote:

Yeah. They even expect it to be a little bumpier than "clear" air.
They seem more comfortable in mild turbulence in IMC than in VMC. Go
figure.

My own tolerance for turbulence is much higher in the clear than in IMC
or under the hood.

No kidding. I'm just the opposite. When I can't see the real world
moving, I find it less objectionable. I also much prefer doing stalls
under the hood. They seem pretty benign when all I can see is the AI!

Although, since I now fly an Arrow rather than a Skylane, I've forgot
what a real stall is like!

Matt

Old October 24th 04, 09:00 AM
Gerald Sylvester

C Kingsbury wrote:
What are your standards for taking passengers up into actual conditions?

Great question and thanks for the asking. I was wondering the same
thing. I got my license 11 months ago (Dec. 17th, 2003 ) and
many of my passengers are nervous to beging with as they
have never been in a small plane before. Usually after 10 minutes they
are fine. Many become comfortable once they hear me talk on the
radio (thanks Bob Gardner ).

I'm working on my IFR ticket and seriously can't imagine taking people
into the soup. The 4-5 hours I've been in it is an out of this world
experience and can't imagine a first timer in a small plane not getting
scared sh*tless and not making me do an emergency approach back to the
departing airport.

And thanks everyone else for your responses.

Gerald
Old October 24th 04, 12:46 PM
Gary Drescher

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
. com...
I'm working on my IFR ticket and seriously can't imagine taking people
into the soup. The 4-5 hours I've been in it is an out of this world
experience and can't imagine a first timer in a small plane not getting
scared sh*tless and not making me do an emergency approach back to the
departing airport.

That's probably because IMC makes you apprehensive yourself--a normal
reaction at this point, since you probably still have to concentrate just to
control the airplane in those conditions, and you have yet to try it without
an instructor. To a passenger, though, the additional challenge won't be
evident, so it'll all seem routine (especially if you advise the passenger
to look at the attitude indicator to ascertain the plane's orientation).
After all, airline passengers don't find it worrisome to be in IMC (though
they sometimes get scared in VMC if they look out the window when the plane
is banked).

--Gary

Old October 24th 04, 03:49 PM
Dan Luke

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote:
I'm working on my IFR ticket and seriously can't imagine
taking people into the soup. The 4-5 hours I've been in it
is an out of this world experience and can't imagine a first
timer in a small plane not getting scared sh*tless and not
making me do an emergency approach back to the
departing airport.

Turbulence scares passengers; flying in the soup doesn't bother them, in
my experience. Unlike pilots, they don't know enough to be scared.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 26th 04, 04:02 AM
Scott Moore

Dan Luke wrote:
"Gerald Sylvester" wrote:

I'm working on my IFR ticket and seriously can't imagine
taking people into the soup. The 4-5 hours I've been in it
is an out of this world experience and can't imagine a first
timer in a small plane not getting scared sh*tless and not
making me do an emergency approach back to the
departing airport.

Turbulence scares passengers; flying in the soup doesn't bother them, in
my experience. Unlike pilots, they don't know enough to be scared.

I think on one of my first IMC experiences with my family abord, the kids
in the back seat started a "you're on my side" style fight with each other.
I confess I got a little hot about that, but it certainly indicates
they didn't seem to mind IMC.

I used to tell my wife everything about the flight. She told me she didn't
want to know, so there you go. When she is nervious, she starts reading
a book.
Old October 26th 04, 04:19 PM
Hankal

When she is nervious, she starts reading
a book.

When my wife got nervous she brought out the puzzle book.
Now she is a lot more relaxed, but the puzzle book is still in the side pocket.
I we were not so far along in years,she may even get to take flying
instructions.
Old November 3rd 04, 11:29 PM
Tlewis95

I think I would always want someone in the right during IMC even if not a
pilot, just to hold things and perform very simple tasks, like getting
something out of the backseat and
Old November 4th 04, 05:56 AM
Brien K. Meehan

Tlewis95 wrote:
I think I would always want someone in the right during IMC even if

not a
pilot, just to hold things and perform very simple tasks, like

getting
something out of the backseat and

If you need someone else to get you a map right when you need it,
you're doing it wrong.

Passengers can be very distracting, especially at minimums.

A recent quote from a passenger: "Oh, I see the runway, there it is,
there it is, over there to the right! There it is, we're passing it,
it's back there! Oh, that's a parking lot."