Deferrals: MEL (Minimum Equipment List) and POH For Cessna 172N '78

Old March 26th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sushidot

Default Deferrals: MEL (Minimum Equipment List) and POH For Cessna 172N'78

On Mar 24, 1:33 pm, Peter Clark
wrote:
On 24 Mar 2008 20:05:49 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote:

Sushidot wrote
..what does the H2AD mean for the Lycomming o-320-h2ad as
well as the "o" in the front of the 320?

320 is the size (cu.in.) of the engine, h2ad indicates model differences,
and "O" indicates that the cylinders are "opposed" rather than "inline" or
"radial" or "Vee".

The "H" engine was one of Lycoming's worst products, bad camshaft material.
Numerous failures early in it's life with the resulant FAA Airworthiness
Directive requiring a special oil additive. Pretty much a non-issue now
since most major oils have this additive as standard.

I've got about 2,000 hours with an "H" engine without a single burp.

Yea, the stuff after the size tells mechanics about engine and
preinstalled accessory oprions (roller tappets, multiple vaccum pumps,
alternators, etc), most of it is pretty esoteric for the guy pushing
the throttle. You can also run into IO- engines, they have fuel
injection instead of carbs.

Good luck on the test!

Thanks for all the advice

Here is another questions
1. On the KOEL in my POH, all that was really there was Placard
information...about that the placards were necessary and need to be
displayed. Is there something I am missing here in regards to
deferrals? One placard had something about Day-Night-VFR-IFR...and
info about maneuvers and load limits...but nothing about equipment
except further in the equipment list in the WB sec.

Thanks
JCL
Old March 26th 08, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Sushidot
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Required placards are also shown in the limitations section, a KOEL is
quite distinct and stands out from the rest of the stuff that you will
also find in that section. I forget what you're flying now, but if
it's not a G1000 model you likely don't have one so I wouldn't worry
about it for now. If you have access to a G1000 aircraft look at it's
POH and you'll see what I mean.
Old March 26th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sushidot

On Mar 26, 3:55 am, Peter Clark
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Sushidot

wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Hey Peter-

Its a 1978 C172N. I wish it was a G1000. Is there one here? I am
not finding it...only the equipment list...though like I said, I did
see something about placards.

Also...I have something confusing regarding weather perhaps you might
be able to help me or someone on this site...
When looking at weather charts, 4 panel depictions...do you have any
general advice on how to interpret those and explain that to the
DPE...i. keep getting confused by one concept...weather at high
pressure systems and fronts...my understanding is that high pressure
systems the weather would be cooler weather but i read somewhere else
where high temps are associated with high pressure. Its sorta a
general question...but is there any suggestions you or others might
have generally in interpretating the maps or what weather is
associated with what fronts, troughs, etc.?

Thanks
SD
Old March 26th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:22:27 -0700 (PDT), Sushidot
wrote:

Hey Peter-

Its a 1978 C172N. I wish it was a G1000. Is there one here? I am
not finding it...only the equipment list...though like I said, I did
see something about placards.

I would not expect a KOEL for any Cessna 172 prior to the G1000 R/S
models (2005? and newer). Placards and other stuff listed in the
limitations section would be there in addition to the KOEL, if one is
there.

Also...I have something confusing regarding weather perhaps you might
be able to help me or someone on this site...
When looking at weather charts, 4 panel depictions...do you have any
general advice on how to interpret those and explain that to the
DPE...i. keep getting confused by one concept...weather at high
pressure systems and fronts...my understanding is that high pressure
systems the weather would be cooler weather but i read somewhere else
where high temps are associated with high pressure. Its sorta a
general question...but is there any suggestions you or others might
have generally in interpretating the maps or what weather is
associated with what fronts, troughs, etc.?

As Dogbert once said, "One day I'll bring in a doctor and a flashlight
and show you where weather forecasts come from...."

I'll defer to the CFI/CFII's for the weather chart stuff. There's a
bunch of real knowledgable guys hanging around and can speak to that
stuff much better than I. I know enough to get around, but without
being together at a table somewhere I wouldn't try and explain them to
anyone.

Cessna 172N with 0-320-H2AD Paul Owning 6 November 3rd 10 05:43 AM
equipment list? Tim Owning 30 March 8th 07 11:46 PM
Equipment List Required Documentation O. Sami Saydjari Owning 9 April 21st 04 02:57 AM
FS: 1979 Cessna 172N, Worcester MA Dwight Ernest Aviation Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 03:59 PM
MS FS 2004 ---minimum equipment for IFR Gerald Sylvester Simulators 14 December 22nd 03 10:05 PM