Importing AVIONIC glider trailer - what a pain

Old September 5th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Importing AVIONIC glider trailer - what a pain

Well, I have imported a glider and a trailer from Europe. The trailer
is Avionic. It has a plate that states the trailer meets federal
regulations in effect as of the date of manufacture. The customs
officer wants a document stating that the vehicle meets federal
standards. I am confused. Isn't the plate enought?

What is your experiance, any problems?

Old September 6th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Airjunkie

On Sep 5, 3:41?pm, wrote:
Well, I have imported a glider and a trailer from Europe. The trailer
is Avionic. It has a plate that states the trailer meets federal
regulations in effect as of the date of manufacture. The customs
officer wants a document stating that the vehicle meets federal
standards. I am confused. Isn't the plate enought?

What is your experiance, any problems?

It took over 6 months to get a new trailer from Poland registered in
California. They started out by telling me I needed a "California
statement of origin," It went bad from there. They did a physical
inspection of the trailer (actually done by a CHP officer ) and wanted
something different every month, finally ending with a copy of the
customs clearance form..... Be cool, be patient.
2BL

Old September 6th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I drove in to the California DMV in Long Beach California from the
dock. I presented my Bill of Sale from Cobra. They verified the
serial number was the same on the trailer as on the Bill of Sale. I
wrote a check. I drove away with registration and plates in hand.
Total time...less than one hour.

Guy Acheson "DDS"

Old September 6th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 5, 10:30 pm, wrote:
I drove in to the California DMV in Long Beach California from the
dock. I presented my Bill of Sale from Cobra. They verified the
serial number was the same on the trailer as on the Bill of Sale. I
wrote a check. I drove away with registration and plates in hand.
Total time...less than one hour.

Guy Acheson "DDS"

Well, believe me or not I got my trailer registered before it went
through the customs and now I can not get it through customs because
they need a document that essentially says the same thing as the plate
on the trailer. Did you show a trailer's plate to customs or did you
show a document stating the trailer met federal regulations, bla bla
bla...

???

Old September 6th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

What you may need is a USDOT / National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) Form HS-7, "Declaration" along with a
confirmation letter/fax from AVIONIC saying that it meets the DOT
standards "for the Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle
Equipment subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft
Prevention Standards."

I used a Custom$ Broker and he got this paperwork done -
$omehow . . .

Old September 6th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Sep 5, 11:20 pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
What you may need is a USDOT / National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) Form HS-7, "Declaration" along with a
confirmation letter/fax from AVIONIC saying that it meets the DOT
standards "for the Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle
Equipment subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft
Prevention Standards."

I used a Custom$ Broker and he got this paperwork done -
$omehow . . .

Ditto on that. This was basically the only thing that the guys at
customs in Elizabeth NJ wanted to see (aside from the other paperwork
that the broker prepared). In my case Anschau (Komet) generated
this in advance. I think I still have this in my files somewhere if
you need to see a copy; email me if you need it.

Erik Mann

Old September 6th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 6, 9:58 am, Papa3 wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:20 pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:

What you may need is a USDOT / National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) Form HS-7, "Declaration" along with a
confirmation letter/fax from AVIONIC saying that it meets the DOT
standards "for the Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle
Equipment subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft
Prevention Standards."

I used a Custom$ Broker and he got this paperwork done -
$omehow . . .

Ditto on that. This was basically the only thing that the guys at
customs in Elizabeth NJ wanted to see (aside from the other paperwork
that the broker prepared). In my case Anschau (Komet) generated
this in advance. I think I still have this in my files somewhere if
you need to see a copy; email me if you need it.

Erik Mann

Current form appears to be 05/20006
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...hs799short.pdf

I would presume the info required is on the affixed tag, but perhaps
not. Certainly the factory can download a copy, complete it, and fax
or 2-day it to the owner. Cheaper than paying storage while it's tied
up in customs. Actually, I don't see why the importer can't complete
it with the appropriate info. Assuming it's DOT legal, only item 2A
would seem to apply. If purchased from a private owner and shipped
privately, that would seem to be a way forward.

Frank Whiteley

Old September 6th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Current form appears to be 05/20006http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf

I would presume the info required is on the affixed tag, but perhaps
not. Certainly the factory can download a copy, complete it, and fax
or 2-day it to the owner. Cheaper than paying storage while it's tied
up in customs. Actually, I don't see why the importer can't complete
it with the appropriate info. Assuming it's DOT legal, only item 2A
would seem to apply. If purchased from a private owner and shipped
privately, that would seem to be a way forward.

Frank Whiteley

And the factory attachment.

Old September 6th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 6, 9:58 am, Papa3 wrote:

[...]

I noticed on the bottom right of the form it says OVER. That's
probably just informational, but the PDF only lists the one page.

Old September 6th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

This thread is about problems with importing an Avionic
trailer to America, I believe. Now, there's a form
that the importer, of a glider trailer, might need
and the form is for 'Importation of Motor Vehicles
and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor
Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards.'

Then, there was the other thread about station wagons
suitable for towing trailers.

Hmmm. Maybe just buy an Avionic trailer which apparently
is self-propelled and not worry about a big car to
pull it. Just need a car to steer it.

Quite interesting that our federal government wants
a form for motor vehicles to apply to trailers.

Sigh.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA