tophat (xcsoar) and LX7007 (pro igc)

Old July 25th 18, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default tophat (xcsoar) and LX7007 (pro igc)

Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to connect android device with tophat to lx7007.
Looked through manuals and internet and no luck.

There must be someone who had success with that. Would you please share?

Yours,

SÅ‚awek
Old July 25th 18, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Gough[_2_]

try here http://www.tophatsoaring.org/IOIO%20...%20pilots.html

Old January 21st 21, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

I see that Tophat (based on XCsoar) has "LXNAV" as one of the available communication protocols (when defining the "device"). Does that apply to both LXNAV and LX Navigation (separate companies?)

(Reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the splinter groups "Judea Liberation Front" are enemies of the "Front for Liberation of Judea", or such.)

If Tophat (or XCsoar) is connected to an LX7007 via a bi-directional cable, can one define the task in Tophat and then send it to the LX7007? And can one use Tophat to extract the IGC file from the LX7007 after landing? I do both of those with Tophat connected to a PowerFLARM.
Old January 21st 21, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

I use a Soartronic bluetooth module with my PowerFlarm Core (new Fusion version has bt build in). My Android pda is a Nokia 8 running LK8000 and this solution works well. Installation of the Soartronic (search on Facebook or go to www.soartronic.net) device with the PowerFlarm is very simple and already has the compatible RJ45 connector. These comments should also apply for XCSoar and TopHat if your Android device has bluetooth. The LXNAV S100 (which I have) can also drive your Android pda with it's built in bluetooth. Getting bi-directional exchange of data that is complete... was really challenging for the LK8000 developer in mid 2020. I worked intensely with him using my S100 and Android phone Nokia 8 with bluetooth. It now works very well using the Nano3 driver.
Old January 21st 21, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 1/21/2021 4:45 PM, WaltWX wrote:
I use a Soartronic bluetooth module with my PowerFlarm Core (new Fusion version has bt build in). My Android pda is a Nokia 8 running LK8000 and this solution works well. Installation of the Soartronic (search on Facebook or go to www.soartronic.net) device with the PowerFlarm is very simple and already has the compatible RJ45 connector. These comments should also apply for XCSoar and TopHat if your Android device has bluetooth. The LXNAV S100 (which I have) can also drive your Android pda with it's built in bluetooth. Getting bi-directional exchange of data that is complete... was really challenging for the LK8000 developer in mid 2020. I worked intensely with him using my S100 and Android phone Nokia 8 with bluetooth. It now works very well using the Nano3 driver.

Walt: what do you mean by "Getting bi-directional exchange of data"?
What functionality? What I am looking for is:
* copy task from Tophat to LX7007, and
* copy IGC flight log (after landing) from LX7007 to Tophat.

I can do both of those currently with Tophat connected to PowerFLARM. I
had no problem getting a cable connection between the two (rather than
BT), once I added a serial port to the Nook e-reader that is running Tophat.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/toph...s50.html#p2353
With that alone, the only thing I could expect Tophat to do is interpret
the standard NMEA sentences sent from the FLARM to be used as the GPS
location data source. But the functionality I mentioned above is then
also possible thanks to Tophat knowing about the FLARM communications
protocol to do those transfers. (Moreover, Tophat also knows how to
interpret the FLARM traffic data and shows those "targets" on the moving
map.)

In the case of the LX7007, the question then is, does the "LXNAV" (or
other?) communication protocol choice within Tophat work with the
LX7007, and offer those functions?

Note that everything I said about Tophat also applies to XCsoar, they
share the same source code for those (and most other) functions.
Old January 22nd 21, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 1/21/2021 5:45 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

What functionality?Â* What I am looking for is:
* copy task from Tophat to LX7007, and
* copy IGC flight log (after landing) from LX7007 to Tophat.

I can do both of those currently with Tophat connected to PowerFLARM.Â* I
had no problem getting a cable connection between the two (rather than
BT), once I added a serial port to the Nook e-reader that is running
Tophat.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/toph...s50.html#p2353
With that alone, the only thing I could expect Tophat to do is interpret
the standard NMEA sentences sent from the FLARM to be used as the GPS
location data source.Â* But the functionality I mentioned above is then
also possible thanks to Tophat knowing about the FLARM communications
protocol to do those transfers.Â* (Moreover, Tophat also knows how to
interpret the FLARM traffic data and shows those "targets" on the moving
map.)

In the case of the LX7007, the question then is, does the "LXNAV" (or
other?) communication protocol choice within Tophat work with the
LX7007, and offer those functions?

Note that everything I said about Tophat also applies to XCsoar, they
share the same source code for those (and most other) functions.

Another question about the LX7007 (and similar): Besides the 6-pin
telephone type "IGC" port, it also has a "PDA" port which is a 9-pin
D-sub connector. Both have serial data in/out pins. Are they
equivalent in protocol and functionality on those? The PDA port also
has a 5V wire for powering the PDA. How much current can that supply?
I wonder if it would power the Nook running Tophat, that needs about 400
mA AFAIK. (Yup, much more than the power consumption when the e-reader
is used for e-reading - the constant updating of the moving map is a
different ballgame.)
Old January 22nd 21, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 1/21/21 1:43 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I see that Tophat (based on XCsoar) has "LXNAV" as one of the available communication protocols (when defining the "device"). Does that apply to both LXNAV and LX Navigation (separate companies?)

(Reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the splinter groups "Judea Liberation Front" are enemies of the "Front for Liberation of Judea", or such.)

If Tophat (or XCsoar) is connected to an LX7007 via a bi-directional cable, can one define the task in Tophat and then send it to the LX7007? And can one use Tophat to extract the IGC file from the LX7007 after landing? I do both of those with Tophat connected to a PowerFLARM.

You can extract the igc file directly from tophat, I think. It's been a
long time...

--
Dan
5J
Old January 22nd 21, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 1/21/2021 9:02 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 1/21/21 1:43 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I see that Tophat (based on XCsoar) has "LXNAV" as one of the
available communication protocols (when defining the "device").Â* Does
that apply to both LXNAV and LX Navigation (separate companies?)

(Reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the splinter groups "Judea
Liberation Front" are enemies of the "Front for Liberation of Judea",
or such.)

If Tophat (or XCsoar) is connected to an LX7007 via a bi-directional
cable, can one define the task in Tophat and then send it to the
LX7007?Â* And can one use Tophat to extract the IGC file from the
LX7007 after landing?Â* I do both of those with Tophat connected to a
PowerFLARM.

You can extract the igc file directly from tophat, I think.Â* It's been a
long time...

Yes Tophat makes an IGC file too. But it's not IGC-security-certified.
So if you want a "green V" on OLC, or, more importantly, if you want
to claim a soaring badge or record, you need the flight log from your
IGC-certified flight recorder, e.g., LX7007, or FLARM, etc. Tophat can
copy it from the FLARM (for example) that it is attached to, then the
file sits in the memory of the Android device alongside the file created
directly by Tophat. After flying, I leave the FLARM in the glider, but
take the Nook home, with those IGC files in its memory. (I can then
transfer them to a PC via SD card, USB cable, or wifi. I normally do
the latter, no need to plug the Nook into anything at home - it gets
charged while flying!)

XCSoar / TopHat maps airspace etc. [email protected] Soaring 6 April 11th 18 12:43 AM
LX7007 Pro IGC David Cleveland Soaring 3 June 2nd 16 01:51 PM
LX7007 Pro IGC Charlie Papa[_2_] Soaring 4 June 1st 16 07:59 PM
PowerFLARM, LX7007 Pro IGC and a PDA ... how to ... 2NO Soaring 7 March 22nd 14 04:57 PM
Want to buy used LX7007 [email protected] Soaring 3 July 26th 13 08:27 PM