What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

Old August 17th 18, 08:50 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojack J4 View Post
Quarter million dollars.....yikes!!!
Both the JS3 and the Ventus 3 are much less expensive. You are misinformed - some posters should get their facts straight before they hit send.

Brett
Old August 17th 18, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Default What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

These are a new winglet type from the manufacturer, they are the ones who claim the improvement, small though it is.
Old August 17th 18, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andrzop

W dniu piątek, 17 sierpnia 2018 11:14:37 UTC+2 użytkownik Charlie Quebec napisał:
These are a new winglet type from the manufacturer, they are the ones who claim the improvement, small though it is.

JS3 and Ventus 3 aren't just a new winglets
Old August 17th 18, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, $190K really is much less expensive than $250K, but it's still a
lot of money.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 17th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 5:43:09 AM UTC-7, Brett wrote:
Bojack J4;974727 Wrote:
Quarter million dollars.....yikes!!!

Both the JS3 and the Ventus 3 are much less expensive. You are
misinformed - some posters should get their facts straight before they
hit send.

Brett

--
Brett

No, I am not. Okay, perhaps I am on the high side by $20,000. If you have never ordered a new glider, budget twenty percent more than you price it out. In September of 2015 a new well equipped ASG-29Es delivered to Houston was $194K. A worse exchange rate, a yearly increase in price, shipping costs will be higher, new model base price increase...several years wait with more yearly price increase. EVERYTHING is an option that costs. If you are ordering a new 15/18 German or South African glider with a turbo for delivery in three years, it could get really uncomfortable if you do not have the better part of a quarter million dollars budgeted. I have ordered several new gliders and have always been unpleasantly surprised at how much more they cost than I had priced and how much longer they took to arrive than promised.
Old August 17th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Bojack J4;974727 Wrote:
Quarter million dollars.....yikes!!!

Both the JS3 and the Ventus 3 are much less expensive. You are
misinformed - some posters should get their facts straight before they
hit send.

Brett

--
Brett

The base glider, perhaps. But the glider, options, trailer, instrumentation, transportation, import duty, and tax? Quarter million is a good estimate.
Old August 17th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Can't you pay the quoted price when you place the order and have it
contractually fixed?

Old August 17th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I remember offering to go in 1/2 on an ASW-24 (new, when they were new as I was just starting flying competitions). The DM took off, plus addons, the end price was double by the time it was billed.
Way out of my budget.
The other buyer found someone to go half on it.
Old August 17th 18, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Bojack J4;974727 Wrote:
[...]

Unless there is a historical low in your favor in the exchange rate, one is usually better served by changing money during favorable swings in exchange rate. If you want a new glider it will cost big dollars. Fortunately there are many ASG-29/27, Ventus 2's of all flavors, which for all practical purposes have the same performance as the latest JS3, V3, Dianna 3. In the 15meter WGC an ASG-29 got 1st, a Dianna 2 2nd, and a V2 4th. This tells me that if you are a competitive pilot, these ships are still competitive. I had several pilots tell me that the V2 was still the best climber even better than a V3.
Old August 17th 18, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

If you look, I believe there is fine print about exchange rates.

The next post down from yours, yes, some peeps buy "local currency" when low and hang onto it. Then they are sorta immune to exchange rate fluctuations.

I know of a few eastern US peeps that used to play the exchange rate market. Buy when a local (overseas) currency was low (usually DM's) and then sit and wait.
Many years ago, there was a HUGE slew in rates. If you had local, great. If you converted then, welp, SOL.......

Timing can be everything.......

IFR Magic video [email protected] Piloting 1 May 22nd 08 01:53 PM
IFR Magic [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 0 May 22nd 08 02:36 AM
MAGIC TRICKS Moci Arane Soaring 0 July 23rd 07 05:56 PM
MAGIC TRICKS [email protected] Piloting 4 July 18th 07 10:07 PM
25 is magic number tongaloa Home Built 13 February 18th 04 02:31 AM