First Flight, actual Homebuilt content

Old June 20th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_2_]

Default First Flight, actual Homebuilt content

It is a real pleasure to announce that one of our local EAA
homebuilders, Frank Varnum, made his first flight in his new RV4. N13MJ's
first flight was uneventful. No leaks. No problems.
Frank, 90 years old, and his little brother Gordon, 87, built the RV
over the last several years. No beginner, Frank has about 25,000 hrs, and
started his airline career as a co-pilot in a Boeing Flying boat for Pan Am.
I think he was flying 707's across the pond when he retired, about the time
I graduated from 6th grade. He is a kick to talk to. The EAA flight advisor
that did the safety brief is 88. (as an aside, the flight advisor was chief
instructor for the Army Air Corp, at Luke Field during the war, while my
father was there as a cadet)
I have a couple of pictures, but so far have been unable to get them to
post to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation. I'll keep trying, and let you know.

Al G

Old June 20th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith[_2_]

Al, what city are you in?
Old June 20th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_2_]

Beautiful Downtown Roseburg, Oregon. (KRBG)

Al G

"john smith" wrote in message
Al, what city are you in?

Old June 21st 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

[...]

=============================

At some point our skills peak...
and then, at first, slowly begin to diminish.
Vast experience WILL mask a lot of piloting
problems in the making. Passing a flight physical
is but a small part of the safety equation.

Here in the heartland of retired TWA captains,
I've had the opportunity to be associated
with those that are most visibly active....
including some EAA advisor types.
The group record is not good for these seniors.

At 69, I FEEL I'm still on top my flying game.
However, I cannot match the speed of handling
simulator induced problems of my 31 year old son.

Those days are gone forever.

You can feel safe with a 90 year old airline pilot,
but if they are no better than the best here that
are approaching 90.....

Good luck, if/when 'the fit hits the shan'.

Barnyard BOb - 54 years of powered flight

Old June 21st 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_2_]

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
nk.net...
Barnyard BOb wrote:

[...]

While I agree, this guys is pretty sharp, and I don't think he is
saving himself for anything.

Al G

Old June 22nd 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Barnyard BOb wrote:

[...]

No - I think he was saying he's all used up