Help Needed: LXNAV S80 and Remote Stick grip

Old January 16th 16, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Default Help Needed: LXNAV S80 and Remote Stick grip

I have an S80 and just installed the remote stick. Everything is working fine except the sc glide/climb momentary switch. Pressing it cycles through the menus as if it is wired together with the 'enter' button. It doesn't change between climb and cruise modes as expected. I have auto-switching turned "off" and the sc mode is set to "taster". I'm guessing I need to wire it to the sc mode wire instead of the PCB, but the instructions don't give any indication of this. Has anyone run into this problem?
Old January 16th 16, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The two wires labeled SC from the remote stick are wired to the SC input for the vario. There should also be two wires labeled PTT on the stick that connect to the radio. The other 4 small wires from the stick should connect directly to the CAN adapter via the colour coded inputs.

PM me if you would like a PDF copy of the installation manual for the remote/S80.

Dave Springford
www.foxonecorp.com

Old January 16th 16, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

The stick only came with the "colored" wires, and the PTT wire. There was no additional SC wire from the stick. The installation manual made it sound like there was another wire like the PTT wire, but nothing. The SC momentary switch is clearly wired to at least one of the 'colored' wires since it is causing some behavioral changes on the vario. Tomorrow I will take the stick apart and see if I can figure it out.
Old January 16th 16, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I heard that the new remote stick doesn't need a sepeate wire for the vario/sc switch. Possibly the documentation is not yet adapted, it would be best to ask LXNAV.
Old January 16th 16, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil McLaughlin[_3_]

I have the exact same problem.

Looking at the wiring diagram of the serial connector something doesnt
look right with how mine is currently setup. I have the same stick- one
PTT wire and 4 coloured wires going into a canbus and then into the
serial port.

Any ideas?

Neil

Old January 16th 16, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

Same exact problem for mine as well. There are no SC wires. I assume most likely it will need a firmware update. I haven't had the chance to ask Uros yet.
Old January 16th 16, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 6:00:40 AM UTC-8, Greg Delp wrote:
Same exact problem for mine as well. There are no SC wires. I assume most likely it will need a firmware update. I haven't had the chance to ask Uros yet.

New remote stick comes without standard SC cable. There is no more need to solder these wires, as they are programmable through LX90xx/S80/8 software.
In order to make it work, please check following setting. Go to Setup-Hardware-Variometer and make sure that none of input is set to "SC on/off switch" or "SC toggle button".

Remote stick will not operate, until is registered on device. Remote stick can be
registered under setup
-
hardware
-
Remote stick. Registration must be done on
each unit
(S80 and S80D

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old January 16th 16, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

There are only two settings that I can find... 1) Auto SC = OFF, GPS, GFORCE. I set it to "off". 2) SC Switch = ON, OFF, TASTER. I set it to "taster".

On the vario side, there is a dedicated SC line. It is fully functional in the modes I have set. I can manually ground those wires and it will toggle between cruise and climb modes. However, there is no dedicated line provided with the stick to hook it to.

I suspect the stick is wired for the LX9xxxx units, not the S80. I will take the stick apart today and check the wiring. I'll report back. Adding a dedicated wire to that switch and connecting it to the SC wire on the vario will definitely fix this problem.

I sent a note to LXNav through their "contact us" support link. This is the first time I've tried to contact them so I don't know how responsive they will be.

ZP
Old January 16th 16, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 8:39:40 AM UTC-8, ZP wrote:
There are only two settings that I can find... 1) Auto SC = OFF, GPS, GFORCE. I set it to "off". 2) SC Switch = ON, OFF, TASTER. I set it to "taster".

On the vario side, there is a dedicated SC line. It is fully functional in the modes I have set. I can manually ground those wires and it will toggle between cruise and climb modes. However, there is no dedicated line provided with the stick to hook it to.

I suspect the stick is wired for the LX9xxxx units, not the S80. I will take the stick apart today and check the wiring. I'll report back. Adding a dedicated wire to that switch and connecting it to the SC wire on the vario will definitely fix this problem.

I sent a note to LXNav through their "contact us" support link. This is the first time I've tried to contact them so I don't know how responsive they will be.

ZP

Speed go fly button on the front of the stick is custom button, which function can be set by user in setup-hardware-remote stick

I would not disassemble the stick. LXNAV changed the way the stick works, it no longer has SC wires in the stick controller. The switch is connected to other inputs/outputs and is controlled by the software in the device.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old January 16th 16, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Interesting that the latest Remote manual still says:

"PTT wires are connected to radio, SC is connected to Speed to fly input of vario unit."

I now understand your confusion!