limit of trim = limit of travel?

Old April 27th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Default limit of trim = limit of travel?

wrote ...
WingFlaps wrote:
I've not tried winding in full trim with power on to see
if a stall results. I would have guessed that Mr Cessna
would not make the trim that powerful...

It's that powerful. With the trim centered, at full power,
you're in a climb. Rolling in full up trim will make the climb
steep enough to stall the airplane.

Looked at another way, if I trim on base and again on final, I will need two
hands pushing the yoke forward if I mosh the throttle for a go-around (until
I retrim for climbout). My guess is I would stall quite dramatically if I
didn't.

Old April 27th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 27, 11:42*am, "Mike Isaksen" wrote:
wrote ...

*WingFlaps *wrote:
I've not tried winding in full trim with power on to see
if a stall results. I would have guessed that Mr Cessna
would not make the trim that powerful...

*It's that powerful. With the trim centered, at full power,
you're in a climb. Rolling in full up trim will make the climb
steep enough to stall the airplane.

Looked at another way, if I trim on base and again on final, I will need two
hands pushing the yoke forward if I mosh the throttle for a go-around (until
I retrim for climbout). My guess is I would stall quite dramatically if I
didn't.

OK I wasn't thinking about full power, just cruise where I was
thinking a nose high mush developing and air speed about 50 knots.

Cheers
Old April 27th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:42:12 GMT, "Mike Isaksen"
wrote:

Looked at another way, if I trim on base and again on final, I will need two
hands pushing the yoke forward if I mosh the throttle for a go-around (until
I retrim for climbout). My guess is I would stall quite dramatically if I
didn't.

My Beech is no different.
Old April 27th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

If you show significant climb rate with a single piston your sim is
smoking tobacco substitute.

On Apr 26, 9:53*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
With the trim centered, at full power, you're in
a climb. Rolling in full up trim will make the climb steep enough to
stall the airplane.

That's what I see in the sim. *Full power and trim set at the take-off notch
takes me into a a steep climb after take-off. *With just me and full tanks it
seems to do better than 1500 fpm, at least for a while. *Some sources say that
MSFS exaggerates initial climb rates; I don't know if that is true here
(add-on aircraft are usually more rigorous). *Seems like a lot for a small
piston single.

Old April 27th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 26, 3:56 pm, Buttman wrote:

"supposed to", but doesn't always. I've flown planes (especially cessnas
with their crappy cereal-box-toy-quality plastic stall horns) that don't go
off at all, but will test fine on the ground.

That's not hard to fix. The plastic fitting inside the leading
edge cracks and leaks. Sometimes the sun's heat warps and shrinks the
fitting so that it no longer seals against the LE and leaks at that
point, too. Any leakage will kill the horn. The horn itself has a
little replaceable reed in it, costs something like 79 cents from
Cessna. And I think that leaky cabin doors sometimes have something to
do with it; the horn uses suction to drive it, and a leaky door (among
other things) can drop the cabin pressure a little, reducing the
differential so that the horn doesn't sound well. The older and better
system (still used on more expensive Cessnas and other airplanes) has
the vane that works a $300 microswitch assembly to fire an electric
horn. The microswitch gets dust in it and doesn't contact properly, so
you soak it in some brake cleaner or isopropyl and blow it out,
clicking it all the while.

Dan

Old April 27th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 26, 5:29 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote :

On Apr 26, 1:50 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Actually, there are plenty of airplanes with tabs not much bigger
than trim tabs that use them to fly the airplane. There is no
connection whatsoever between the surface and the stick. All done by
the tab. I don;'t think anyone is making any of them these days. Last
new design I can think of is the DC-8.

Bertie

Servo tabs. Sometimes with a spring onto the surface itself, for
low-speed control, and sometimes with no connection other than the
tab's hinge to the surface. But it does move the control surface,
which is what controls the airplane. The tab itself doesn't fly the
airplane. It actually moves in the opposite direction to the surface.

That's right. Lots of biggies used them in the old days. There are also
balance which just aid a conventionally controlled surface in a similar
way. Those I have flown. Generally htey also have a spring tab which is
adjacent and gears down the action of the servo or balance tab. Without the
spring tab the servo or balance tab would make the control surface more
sensitive at higher speeds, so the spring tab acts as a kind of artificial
feel.

Bertie

A good description of servo tabs:
http://history.nasa.gov/monograph12/ch6.htm
Click on figure 6.2 to get a decent picture.

Balance tab:
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...rol/TH28G6.jpg

Antiservo tab:
http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/at/cours...tiservotab.jpg

Bar tab:
http://www.geographia.com/antiguanew...ges/7/5609.jpg

Dan
Old April 27th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 26, 1:24 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote innews
WingFlaps writes:

No, that doesn't sound right.
The stall horn is supposed to sound before the stall speed is reached.

It does, but only a second or two before (assuming that airspeed is still
falling). If I take remedial action instantly the stall does not occur.

A stall will never occur. Computers don;'t stal.

Bertie

Pretty close, though. Microsoft stuff has a reputation for slowing
down, and crashing. That could be a stall simulation....
Old April 27th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

wrote in
:

On Apr 26, 5:29 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote
innews:130b251b-ab31-48e8-aa1d-

om:

[...]

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...ht/control/TH2

8
G6.jpg

Antiservo tab:
http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/at/cours...es/antiservota

.jpg

Bar tab:
http://www.geographia.com/antiguanew...ges/7/5609.jpg

Heh heh.

Bertie

The Sky is Their Limit [email protected] Soaring 7 November 13th 06 02:44 AM
speed limit in class B Andrey Serbinenko Piloting 0 July 23rd 06 04:05 AM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Aft CG limit(s) Andy Durbin Soaring 13 November 26th 03 05:10 AM
Pushing the limit Dan Shackelford Military Aviation 20 September 14th 03 10:27 PM