wings came off

Old September 20th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hinterland

Default wings came off

In French Alps last week end..

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/...e-en-plein-vol

Old September 20th 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article ,
"hinterland" wrote:

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/...aneur-se-dislo
que-en-plein-vol

What sort of glider was that? Wings looked sort of like an Lo-100, but
the fuselage looked like a pod-and-boom affair. One of the wings
appeared to chop off the tailboom as the fuselage was tumbling.

Good thing it was equipped with a ballistic chute. I think it might have
been hard to get out of with it tumbling like that and not too high
either.
Old September 20th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

It was the new Archaeopteryx high tech hang glider/microlift glider
(http://www.ruppert-composite.ch/english/index.html):

L/D 28:1, VNE 130 kph, + 5.3 g/- 2.65 g, and, as demonstrated, a
balistic recovery chute :-) Very interesting concept that puts it
between a hang glider and a full fledged glider as we know it.

The pilot was doing acro, after some spinning he was coming out of his
second loop and must have pulled a little too hard on the stick during
recovery... Here a better view of the sequence of events:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgOR5PLTn84

Markus

On Sep 20, 5:11*pm, Berry wrote:
In article ,

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/...are-un-planeur...

Old September 20th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Sep 20, 3:11*pm, Berry wrote:
In article ,

*"hinterland" wrote:
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/...are-un-planeur...
que-en-plein-vol

What sort of glider was that? Wings looked sort of like an Lo-100, but
the fuselage looked like a pod-and-boom affair. One of the wings
appeared to chop off the tailboom as the fuselage was tumbling.

Good thing it was equipped with a ballistic chute. I think it might have
been hard to get out of with it tumbling like that and not too high
either.

Since Coupe Icare is primarily a hang-glider/paraglider event, I think
it is safe to assume that this was an ultralight, possibly foot-
launched aircraft.

No doubt we will be further enlightened by our European colleagues in
due course.

Mike

Mike
Old September 21st 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Here you go: http://www.ruppert-composite.ch/english/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 21st 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Sep 20, 3:46*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Sep 20, 3:11*pm, Berry wrote:

In article ,

*"hinterland" wrote:
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/...are-un-planeur....
que-en-plein-vol

What sort of glider was that? Wings looked sort of like an Lo-100, but
the fuselage looked like a pod-and-boom affair. One of the wings
appeared to chop off the tailboom as the fuselage was tumbling.

Good thing it was equipped with a ballistic chute. I think it might have
been hard to get out of with it tumbling like that and not too high
either.

Since Coupe Icare is primarily a hang-glider/paraglider event, I think
it is safe to assume that this was an ultralight, possibly foot-
launched aircraft.

No doubt we will be further enlightened by our European colleagues in
due course.

Mike

Mike

Indeed it was an Archaeopteryx - the schedule had two of them flying
there. Good photos and video on their website:

http://www.ruppert-composite.ch/english/index.html

Hope that their naming it after an extinct Jurassic flying dinosaur
didn't jinx it!

Mike
Old September 21st 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On Sep 20, 5:42*pm, Markus Graeber wrote:
It was the new Archaeopteryx high tech hang glider/microlift glider
(http://www.ruppert-composite.ch/english/index.html):

L/D 28:1, VNE 130 kph, + 5.3 g/- 2.65 g, and, as demonstrated, a
balistic recovery chute :-) *Very interesting concept that puts it
between a hang glider and a full fledged glider as we know it.

The pilot was doing acro, after some spinning he was coming out of his
second loop and must have pulled a little too hard on the stick during
recovery... Here a better view of the sequence of events:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgOR5PLTn84

Markus

On Sep 20, 5:11*pm, Berry wrote:

In article ,

*"hinterland" wrote:
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/...are-un-planeur....
que-en-plein-vol

What sort of glider was that? Wings looked sort of like an Lo-100, but
the fuselage looked like a pod-and-boom affair. One of the wings
appeared to chop off the tailboom as the fuselage was tumbling.

Good thing it was equipped with a ballistic chute. I think it might have
been hard to get out of with it tumbling like that and not too high
either.- Hide quoted text -

Looks to me like the first loop would have been pulling more G's than
the second. Higher speed, harder pull. Perhaps the damage was done on
the first one.
Old September 21st 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article
,
Mike the Strike wrote:

On Sep 20, 3:11*pm, Berry wrote:
In article ,

*"hinterland" wrote:
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/...are-un-planeur...
que-en-plein-vol

What sort of glider was that? Wings looked sort of like an Lo-100, but
the fuselage looked like a pod-and-boom affair. One of the wings
appeared to chop off the tailboom as the fuselage was tumbling.

Good thing it was equipped with a ballistic chute. I think it might have
been hard to get out of with it tumbling like that and not too high
either.

Since Coupe Icare is primarily a hang-glider/paraglider event, I think
it is safe to assume that this was an ultralight, possibly foot-
launched aircraft.

No doubt we will be further enlightened by our European colleagues in
due course.

Mike

Mike

Ah, I see now. Thanks.

Pretty little machine. Must be great fun to soar those microlift
machines. Not so good for aerobatics, apparently.

Hey, make these gliders cheap enough and we'll have a new "extreme
sport" with competitors vying to produce the most spectacular in-flight
breakup.
Old September 21st 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Sep 21, 11:05*am, Berry wrote:
Hey, make these gliders cheap enough and we'll have a new "extreme
sport" *with competitors vying to produce the most spectacular in-flight
breakup.

If they use weak links instead of spar pins, the aircraft could even
be reused!

B.
Old September 21st 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

If they use weak links instead of spar pins, the aircraft could even
be reused!

Shear humor!

hey Bob, don't look. There are no wings :-) Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 2 May 19th 08 04:43 PM
PC-9 with all the wings :-) Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 August 19th 07 01:52 AM
X-Wings and Canard Rotor Wings. Charles Gray Rotorcraft 1 March 22nd 05 12:26 AM
wings mark Owning 18 February 7th 04 10:07 AM
What it took to get wings in WW II. ArtKramr Military Aviation 29 July 16th 03 07:42 AM